Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bellows wire on a 2.0L, What position?
avidfanjpl
post Jun 5 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #21

914 Hemophiliac

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Woohoo Jeff!

I found the grommet too! soaking it to clean it up. Pelican is shipping 2 wires! The bellows is in really excellent shape. PO must have changed it in the last several years.

That makes it harder for me to really mess this up. I even got under the car and can access the bolts to remove the frame and the actual unit.

I heard those bolts go through to the engine and can leak. That seems hard to believe. I know I did see some comment on the frame bolt holders.

Does that mean I will have 2 gushers if I remove the frame? I can see me struggling to put the friggin bolts back in to stanch the flow!

I may have to get some rubber plugs.

Hoping I don't have to. I just filled it with new Valvoline racing oil.

Thank you to all who put up with my old farty ways!

Going for a burger and a late night sesson to see if it will start.

Tom T talked me off the ledge at least 2 times this weekend, and it's only Saturday.

I hope you are all at least laughing at/with JohnnyDangerously.

I think I will start a new orange wristband nonprofit.

LiveWrong Lewis

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 5 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #22

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

The pulley is held on by a bolt, and those threads are open to the inside of the case. The 'frame'/thermostat is held onto the case by studs with nuts. Unless someone did something funky, you can pull the frame without worrying about oil leakage.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Jun 5 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #23

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

And don't get worked up. Thats the biggest reason for mistakes. Just keep thinking about how much your learning. Only a small handfull of people know every detail about these cars, myself not included. I'm sure you saw my seatbelt jack in the box, and in my gut I knew I shouldn't take that cover off. Rather than getting upset, I had another cup of coffee played a video game, then tackled the re-assembly of that mess. We all have those days.
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Jun 5 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #24

914 Hemophiliac

Yes Mark and Jeff,

I will take my sweet time on this. I thought when I rebuilt my first 914 2.0 that I took that off before I dropped the motor, because I would have sheared the little bastard right off. Those were the days, but I had a pro doing a lot of the work.

I was left for the grunt work.

And yes, I know so much more than I did a year ago, but I am definitely up for the award for going from bad to worse. The car is almost starting, but I have to recheck the gap, dwell, and timing, just to be sure. I am now pretty certain I had way too much fuel pressure.

But, starting from scratch is a good thing. I have decided to work toward a 2011 premiere, maybe late summer. But, I have to start over with each little thing.

That way, I can make and stick to a checklist.

This is the way I work at my regular job, and I should have known better than to skip the checklists that are SO MUCH a part of my job. No I am not a commercial pilot. You can all fly safely still!

I am making a list, and checking it twice.

Jeff was kind enough to send me the 017 CHTS, and that may be part of my small mess. Another one is that damn flap wire. I am going to frame some stuff in my hall of shame.

THANK YOU ALL!

John

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jun 5 2010, 06:22 PM) *

And don't get worked up. Thats the biggest reason for mistakes. Just keep thinking about how much your learning. Only a small handfull of people know every detail about these cars, myself not included. I'm sure you saw my seatbelt jack in the box, and in my gut I knew I shouldn't take that cover off. Rather than getting upset, I had another cup of coffee played a video game, then tackled the re-assembly of that mess. We all have those days.

+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jun 6 2010, 12:29 AM
Post #25

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Which direction does the shaft for the flaps rotate to be full open? Towards the front of the car or towards the rear?
+Quote Post
avidfanjpl
post Jun 6 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #26

914 Hemophiliac

[The shaft that holds the flaps rotates about 100 degrees forward to the compartment,

The wire holds it toward the enginer

Heat makes it lengthen toward the cabin, and more cool air comes into the engine.

When applying the new cable, tilt the vane back to the engine and lock the wire down!

Simple, but use all 3 hands God Gave you!

LOL ;D

John

And DO NOT FORGET THE GROMMET OR I WILL HAVE JEFF Greenfield come and run you over for the spare parts

Best wishes'

John

quote name='KaptKaos' date='Jun 5 2010, 11:29 PM' post='1328694']
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/hijacked.gif)

Which direction does the shaft for the flaps rotate to be full open? Towards the front of the car or towards the rear?
[/quote]
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jun 6 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Toward the front is fully open.
+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Jun 6 2010, 01:54 PM
Post #28

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 6 2010, 09:36 AM) *

Toward the front is fully open.

Thanks Mark (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:52 PM