Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> welder recommendation, for a beginner
JmuRiz
post Apr 5 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I would like to hear some suggestions for a beginner's welder. Preferably one that runs on 110...but if 220 is that much better it's not that big a deal. I am looking for something that is inexpensive and easy to learn with. Any help would be great, thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 32)
JmuRiz
post Apr 6 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #21

914 Guru

Member No.: 50

Thanks for all the info, guess I'll either have to start saving my pennies or just hit some of my local guys up to borrow theirs...or learn on theirs.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Apr 6 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #22

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Do what I did...

Go to your local rental shops, and ask when they're going to sell their rental units. Every couple of years, they replace their rentals.

I picked one up cheap, and haven't had a problem with it in over 4 years.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Neal
post Apr 6 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 605

I just visited my local welding shop who gladly set up a Lincoln 110 in the back and had me welding in minutes, it had the gas bottle attached. They recommended the MillerMatic 135 which is a 110 welder or the Hobart which I think is also made by Miller. I would get a 2 stage air compressor first then the welder. The Miller is about $635 without the Gas bottle (I live in Seattle Washington) at the Welding store I visited. I have a 2 stage 80 gallon Ingersol Rand compressor which I plumbed in my shop, it is VERY useful !
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 6 2004, 09:52 AM
Post #24

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Hobart is owned by Miller, but they aren't built the same. The Miller uses copper windings, the Hobart uses aluminum. My local dealer also told me that the warranty on the Miller surpasses the Hobart's as well.

If you want to buy it once, buy a Miller. If you want to get in cheap and don't mind replacing it down the road sometime get the Hobart.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 6 2004, 10:16 AM
Post #25

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

Guys.....

Lincoln is the official welder of NASCAR......

If you want, they have classes cheap. Cheaper if you have a nascar license.

Miller has the best books and training materials.

Got a lincoln 135, wish it had better heat adjustments....it just has, a,b,c,d.....

herb
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 6 2004, 10:53 AM
Post #26

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE(crash914 @ Apr 6 2004, 08:16 AM)
Guys.....

Lincoln is the official welder of NASCAR......

Well there you have it. Miller or Hobart it is.

Miller. The official welder of people who don't have mullets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (Just kidding, Herb)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 6 2004, 10:59 AM
Post #27

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434

Hey, I don't have enough hair to have a mullett....

Although the local hockey team had a mullet night where they gave away 9000 mullets.....missed it....we did have 4 guys show up at work the next day with one though......cool....herb
+Quote Post
sj914
post Apr 6 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,053

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 6 2004, 04:17 AM)
QUOTE(sj914 @ Apr 6 2004, 08:02 AM)
Since we are on the subject of welders.  Has anyone heard or used a Henrob 2000.  It's an oxy/actyl welder, but easier to learn.

I'm going to a Henrob demo today. Their new torch looks very cool.

Saw some video clips at one of their distributors sites, looks cool. The guy makes it look so easy.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Apr 10 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #29

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

QUOTE(sj914 @ Apr 6 2004, 07:33 PM)
The guy makes it look so easy.

That's what I thought at the demo too.

Actually I think the Henrob torch would be somewhat easier to use than the old style oxy-acetylene torches. The pistol grip handle is easier to handle, and the tip isn't as far from your hand which means more control.
I've never welded aluminum with gas but doing it with the Henrob 2000 looked like a breeze with 1/16" stock. Using (expensive) cobalt blue glasses eliminated the orange color that comes from the flux burning. That made it real easy to see the weld, whereas the orange totally interferes with good vision using standard green glasses.
It cuts steel real easy with very low pressure gas settings. The kit has 2 different cutting tips - one for sheet and one for plate. They both are basically dragged on the surface which makes things easier. The kerf is narrower than with most torches and made nice accurate cuts easily. I think the kit also includes a roller setup but that wasn't demonstrated.
There were some clear advantages over plasma cutting, such as: the small tip means access to tighter locations, intricate shapes are easier due to improved visibility of the tip, no real dark glasses required.
The rep also welded a bit of cast iron easily, using real cast iron filler. It looked much better than any of the methods I've used in the past.
The rep didn't demo stainless welding for me, but showed a piece he had done earlier & it didn't look too bad. Not as good a TIG though.
One thing it doesn't have is a rosebud tip for heating, which I find handy on a regular basis.
I think this equipment would be a very good idea for an all-around welding setup where access to electricity is limited and a variety of tasks is expected.
At a price tag of approximately $400, plus the cost of regulators and gas it isn't exactly cheap. On the other hand it clearly has the ability to nearly replace several pieces of electric arc welding (TIG,MIG,Plasma) equipment which would add up to several thousand dollars.
The biggest limitation is that it still only cuts steel, and a plasma will cut nearly any metal. I used to even use a plasma to cut titanium for one customer's work. Also welding very thick metal would generate a lot of heat which would be hard on the hands, etc.
It's certainly something to consider if portability is needed. I think it is a much better choice for craftsmen than the typical oxy-acetylene outfits even at twice the cost.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sj914
post Apr 10 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 1,053

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 10 2004, 12:02 AM)

The rep didn't demo stainless welding for me, but showed a piece he had done earlier & it didn't look too bad.

Here's the link to the video clips that demos some of the stuff you saw. it includes stainless steel welding.

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_video_library.htm

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowtorch.gif)
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 10 2004, 10:07 AM
Post #31

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Not having welded anything in my life before, what are the odds I could become "productive" on small jobs (like dzus fastener plates etc) right away if I went and picked up a welder today, for instance??? Is the learning curve steep enough where I should stay the hell away from the teener for a while?

I'm not looking at anything "structural" at this point...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Apr 10 2004, 10:23 AM
Post #32

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yeah....cutting the roof of a rusty 356 AND adding HP is not a good idea...Frank is gonna get a tube frame....so this is a timely thread.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Apr 10 2004, 02:10 PM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

.02c ................ Just don't by the Craftsmen. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I've just about worn mine out. Hobart or the Lincoln.

Nothing less than 135. Anything less, the duty cycle is too short. The machine stops and you have to wait 10 minutes for it to come back to life.

BTDT ........................

Plus, get a cart ................ place for wire, helmet, clamps, wire bushes, hammers, etc.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 04:52 AM