Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Morons at Lowe's, train wreck on delivery
tomeric914
post Jun 7 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #21

One Lap of America in a 914!

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

Before you take delivery on #2, check Harbor Freight. Theirs goes for $799 and IIRC flows more than the Lowes/Home Depot/Tractor Supply/Campbell Hausfeld compressor. It's made in Canada, not China.

Also, grab a 20% off coupon out of the back of a recent Car and Driver for an additional $160 savings.

I just picked up the 60 gallon version from Harbor Freight and couldn't be happier. I have yet to run out of air both sandblasting and grinding at 90 psi. I brought it home with my '58 VW Single Cab and offloaded it by hand sliding it down over a couple of moving blankets. Then bear hugged it and walked it into it's final location. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of me unloading it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Jun 7 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #22

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

So round two went better than round one. I still had to suggest to them to back the truck into the driveway. I took the added precaution of moving my 914 to the neighbor's driveway before they took to it. Even still they about took out my mailbox. Once they backed it up they opened the back of the truck and there is a compressor shrink wrapped and strapped to the wall. I very calmly and cooly informed them that if that was the same compressor (that hit my driveway) just wrapped up in plastic, I was not going to be a nice person. They assured me that it wasn't. Several "we're really sorry about that other compressor"s later, it was in my garage. They asked if I wanted them to take it off the pallet for my.... which I promptly declined.

So now I've got to get this sucker wired up to the 240 line that I ran in the garage many moons back.

As far as the leave it on the pallet or take it off thing... The same instructions and box that said "WARNING- TOP HEAVY" and "DON'T USE A HAND TRUCK ON THIS" also said that it will blow up if you don't take it off the pallet. Hard for me to argue when they have been right on 2 counts thus far (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

I thought about pulling out the video camera when they pulled up to the front of the house.... but I just couldn't bring myself to do that to them..... they were already bewildered enough looking and I can't imagine the raft of shit they must have caught from their boss when they drug that thing back in. While unloading the 2nd one, the one that ended up on the ground was holding their back and moving a little bit slow. Wonder why when 500+lbs comes toppling over at you.

Mike
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jun 7 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #23

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I bet there are a lot of compressors for sale at the scratch and dent dept.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 7 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #24

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

All's well that ends well? or should we wait until you fire it up? With that much air power can you literally blow your skin off?
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jun 7 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #25

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Your 4" thick driveway is not meant for heavy trucks. The roads they drive on are over 8" thick with three times the rebar thats in your drive. Your driveway will crack and shatter from that much weight. Maybe not today, but it will crack.
+Quote Post
davep
post Jun 7 2010, 02:50 PM
Post #26

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

Good move putting the Porsche in another driveway, I was thinking that a block away might have been needed. Next up, do you have an air drier for it? I've found that water in the air line is my biggest problem. You need a pretty serious drier for a compressor like that.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 7 2010, 03:20 PM
Post #27

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 7 2010, 07:16 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Be happy you were home to watch it because I would guarantee they would have "delivered" it anyway...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Also, they're probably paid by the hour anyway, so why make it easy & pull up the driveway & drop-n-roll it into the garage - far too easy for "Billy & Bubba"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

You might want to suggest that to the next crew, unless you just enjoy the free entertainment & don't need that compressor right away! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jun 7 2010, 03:27 PM
Post #28

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:39 PM) *

Your 4" thick driveway is not meant for heavy trucks. The roads they drive on are over 8" thick with three times the rebar thats in your drive. Your driveway will crack and shatter from that much weight. Maybe not today, but it will crack.

Freeze-thaw will crack it back there anyway eventually, & since concrete is pretty good in compression over a good base - 4" concrete is okay for occasional truck use in most cases, so long as they used the proper curing time, mix & slump, rebar/WWM, base, etc. - which with many contractors is a BIG "so long as". IMHO as someone in the business for 40+ years - a midsized Lowe's truck for a delivery shouldn't be a problem because their typical 16,000# GVW is spread over 6 tires & not too far off the per tire load of a large SUV.

BTW - I'd move the 914's & everything the block away davep suggests, with those clowns! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:21 PM