Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2011 WCR in Medford Oregon, June 23rd ,24th ,25th ,26th . AutoX on 24th
JRust
post Jul 12 2010, 08:04 AM
Post #41

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I am thinking more along the lines of just the Thursday autoX. I think 2 days it to much also. We will have a bigger turn out with an autoX included. I really like doing it the thursday. Then the rest of the weekend is just our typical fun. We have our fun runs both days. Plus our usual parking lot evening fun. I also will point out having an AutoX is damn fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . I don't plan on the autoX being to serious a thing. It wil be catered more to the people that don't typically do it. With some time for those that do also.

So lets figure the Friday being the coast run, Saturday the run to Crater lake. I think the Show & Shine with voting for awards is best setup on saturday morning. I figured to expand our pool of awards. What did you think of those days in june John ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mstein95
post Jul 12 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #42

Back when grey Levi's were the rage.

Member No.: 5,959

Just to pipe in on dates - I know my kids will still be in school in May (unless the State of Oregon has shorted the school year up even more). And I understand the constraints for June but for all the "families" that might come - June would definately be better.

Just my two cents.

Other than that - whats the average weather like in Medford that weekend?
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jul 12 2010, 11:14 AM
Post #43

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

Morgan - The High temps are in the low 90's and the lows are in the mid 50's for the end of June.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 12 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #44

914 Guru

QUOTE(mstein95 @ Jul 12 2010, 07:54 AM) *

Just to pipe in on dates - I know my kids will still be in school in May (unless the State of Oregon has shorted the school year up even more). And I understand the constraints for June but for all the "families" that might come - June would definately be better.

Just my two cents.

Other than that - whats the average weather like in Medford that weekend?

With the possibility of doing the autoX on thursday. We would definately be looking into June. Starting Wednesday night June 22, 23, 24 & heading home the 25th. So lets just forget May!
+Quote Post
6freak
post Jul 12 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #45

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829

AX in 90 plus weather is brutal ..one day is good ..piggy backing with another group is a good idea imo cause we wont need lites and cones flags and fire bottles or radios ....we need to ask them if we can waive the club fee`s for one day and help out with track rental and insurance ..I will help wherever i can Jamie......Timing gear is not cheap and to use WCR money would not be worth it just to use once a year ,save the money for tropheys or insurances for track days and stuff like that....this is all JMO Im good with whatever you all decide...I like June
+Quote Post
Jakeodoule
post Jul 12 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 9,630

Jamie, The date sounds good. I really don't care when it is.
I have nothing planned yet for next year so any date works.
June sounds better all round'
Kids are out, Crater Lake will be open, weathers better.
I say pick the Date Jamie and its all good. People should have plenty of time to plan.

It looks as though most people want a chain type hotel....
Not sure how the drinking in the parking lot is going to work on that. Any of you from Oregon know that the OLCC is pretty damn tough on public drinking. So the Hotels might not be keen on that at all. I would just about bet money some of them would be on you in 30 minutes if your openly drinking. The rules in Oregon are not the same as NV and CA.
I think a smaller hotel in the country a bit would careless. But just off the freeway at a big chain type hotel with super lit parking lot, I'm not sure how that will work. I think if everyone is covert with the booze then maybe. but what fun is that?
What kind of lodging happened last time you were in OR and WA?
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 12 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #47

914 Guru

When it was in Issaquah the hotel was good with us doing whatever in the parking lot. It was a pretty secluded area that we had. Kind of tucked in a corner behind the hotel with trees around. We had no problems there. As far as the hotel I think we just want something that is flexible.

For the drives let's figure out what will work for a route. We definately want to do the crater lake drive & I think Saturday after the show & shine. I don't think we should overdue the drive though. 3-4 hours sound okay? I'm not sure how far it is to Crater lake from Medford. The other drive I thought to the coast would be cool. A nice long stop for lunch somewhere there. I haven't done either route in years so I don't know a good one. I know John you have done alot of driving damn near everywhere. Do you have something in mind that would work?

On the AutoX I would like to get 3 of our AutoX finatics to get together. Plan how that day will work. Knowing we want it to be more of a fun run type setup. Their rules are pretty lax & as long as we aren't stupid we have alot of leway. I know we can have passengers & it isn't required they are an instructor. They do have to have a helmet of course.

Okay for dates I am calling it & plan to post on the main forum in the next day or so with the official WCR 2011 decleration (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) . The dates are
Wednesday June 22nd (just meet n greet at hotel),
Thursday the autoX (dinner to be figured out later),
Friday the drive to the coast with lunch at some cool place. Drive in movie in the parking lot if we can swing it. Also be nice to have some tech sessions this day.
Saturday show & shine with judging starting at 914. Then the drive to Crater Lake (picnic lunch or a restaurant somewhere on the way). BBQ dinner (catered hopefully) with the awards presented .

Sound good? Obviously there will be more planning going into each day. I just mainly want to give an overview & the dates. That way people can get it on their calenders.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jul 12 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #48

The drive from Medford to Crater Lake is about 1 hour and 45 minutes one way.

+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 12 2010, 11:24 PM
Post #49

914 Guru

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 12 2010, 04:24 PM) *

The drive from Medford to Crater Lake is about 1 hour and 45 minutes one way.

That should be perfect then. How about food going up or back? Any good restaurants that could handle our group?
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jul 12 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #50

Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room
Crater Lake's premier fine dining establishment. Features Northwest cuisine made with choice Oregon-grown ingredients. Sample the best of what Oregon has to offer, from the freshest, locally-grown mushrooms and berries to Rogue Valley cheeses and wines.

The Dining Room is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with seating available for 75.

Annie Creek Restaurant & Gift Shop
The Annie Creek Restaurant, open from early-June through mid-September is located in Mazama Village, seven miles from the rim of Crater Lake. Seating is available for 100 guests. The restaurant features a melting pot of American cuisine with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and soup and salad buffets. Beer and wine is also available.

Rim Village Café and Gift Shop
The Rim Village Café features "Grab and Go" items including hot soups, sandwiches, salads and snacks. This 1,500-square-foot café has a seating capacity of 36 inside and 48 on an adjoining patio. The 2,200-square-foot retail area features a hiking theme with aisles resembling a hiking trail that weaves its way through the shop. The trail is made of various tiles including some that look like local rock.

A snow tunnel through the basement of the building to the parking lot makes an easy access for winter visitors. The building is located one block north of the Crater Lake Lodge.

Crater Lake Lodge

I'll look to see if there is something along the way or cheaper as I believe it's not cheap to eat at the lodge.
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jul 13 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #51

Okay, I know it's early for thinking about door prizes and such but I was going to see about having some cigars made with the event logo on them (with permission of course). Then I thought not everyone wants a cigar so I thought about how Rob gave away the Matchbox cars to all the registrants so that got me to thinking! What if we had these (see below) with the event logo, date and location on them to give to the registrants? I personally will put up my own money to get these started if the guy I talk to can get them in bulk. I'm thinking 50 to 100? Just a thought?

Attached Image

1:87 scale (about 2" long)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 13 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

Okay I posted the dates in the main Forum. We obviously still have alot of planning to do. I just wanted to get the dates set so. Now we can plan with them in mind. Taking a bit of a leap with the track & the autoX. I figure even if worst case we cannot get the track. There will still be plenty of time for people to adjust the one day in there schedule. We will see what everyone thinks. Hopefully I didn't just start a shitstorm of people complaining about the dates or location (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) . on the main forum. I am hoping we can get a few of us together this summer & do the runs down there. Be nice to get us down there & really get a feel for everything. Including making a trip to the AutoX course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . Talk to you all soon- Jamie

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 15 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #53

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Gang,

Jamie asked me to weigh in. I'm (almost) a Dredford resident. Our corporate offices (yes I have a day job) are there and I use to visit monthly.

One of the contributions I'd like to offer would be a few suggestions for the Medford>Grants Pass>Crescent City drive. There are a couple of things that would set this off and make it a "Spectacular" WCC event.

Number 1: The Redwoods at the end of the drive. There is parking along side the road and an "awesome" 40 minute circle (no orange cones, just pine cones) hike through the Redwoods. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413. No fees (so it's 914 CSOB friendly) but the pull off should be captured on someone's GPS as it could be missed through there. Imagine the memories people who have never done this before can take back with them.

Number 2 - Patrick Creek Lodge for dinner. http://patrickcreeklodge.net/ This looks like a fun place and is usually packed around dinner time. It may be a little high-endish BUT... if you check out the site, they can handle "groups". You could also select a couple menue items and simply tell them, "we have a budget that we are paying for this out of and we need to watch the numbers." I would think you could get a Chicken, Fish, Beef option and keep it around $15.00 per plate.

The drive is 2hrs 14min. non-stop, one-way (re: 5 hours in the car). I've found with various other car events that, if you can break it up with these fun things to do, it makes it seem fine for all.

Timing it so the group can have dinner at a picturesque restaurant in the canyon would be the icing on the cake.

Here's my take on that schedule:

*Lunch - 11:00 11:30 at the hotel - Everyone should be fueled up (body and car) for the trip.
*Depart Medford - 12:00 Noon
*Redwoods - 2:30 - 3:30 - It will be tight so encourage all to get on the hike ASAP (it's worth it, time for pictures of cars, road and tress when they're done)
*Depart to Crescent City - 3:30
*Crescent City 4:00 - 5:00 Oceanfront park? Bay with light house? Your call. Personally, I'm not a fan of Crescent City but, there can be some good scenery, especially the oceanfront.
*Drive to Restaurant - 5:00
*Patrick Creek Lodge - 6:00 - 8:00 - Dinner
*Drive to Medford - 8:00 - 9:30

Talk amongst yourselves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
JRust
post Jul 21 2010, 03:33 PM
Post #54

914 Guru

Hey Drew can you try to get ahold of the SCCA guy. I have sent 2 emails & gotten no response. If you happen to be going through the area again anytime soon. It would be great to meet with him to go over our date. Also let me know when you want to pick up your motor. Thanks- Jamie
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Jul 21 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 21 2010, 02:33 PM) *

Hey Drew can you try to get ahold of the SCCA guy. I have sent 2 emails & gotten no response. If you happen to be going through the area again anytime soon. It would be great to meet with him to go over our date. Also let me know when you want to pick up your motor. Thanks- Jamie

I may be going to Medford on Friday. I'll try and get ahold of him. I last spoke to him through email on the 14th and he said," Just contact us towards the end of the year and let us know the dates you are interested. I realize this makes it hard to plan an event a year in advance, but we have been living with this for a long time and it always works out." Whats a good date to meet with him? It would be good to meet and talk over the rules and regulations. Also go for a drive or 2. We should also have a third drive for a back-up to Crater Lake. Jeff Dixon (World Member name is "Treemn") is also here in Klamath Falls and he sent me a video he took last Saturday on Crater Lake Highway (62) and it still has snow!

Attached Image

I'm thinking I'll pick the motor up next month if thats okay with you? The wife is supposed to go down to California the weekend of August 14th (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance), she grew up there. I thought I would go North and pick up the Motor and some Mahles I bought in Washington. Let me know. If you still have the BB, I want to look at it!
+Quote Post
McMark
post Aug 31 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #56

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Aug 31 2010, 01:21 PM
Post #57

hahaaa! Thanks for reminding me Mark. The toy guy in L.A. "German Aircooled Scale Models" can not get the "Wiking" 914 toy's. If he can't find me another 914 toy at a reasonable price with logo than I'm thinking of maybe a self adhesive dash plaque or maybe a rear window plaque? Once we agree (or disagree) on the plaques than whomever has the event logo needs to get it to me so I can find out about priceing. What say you about the plaque idea for registrant's?

Who is going to take care of the shirts?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 1 2010, 12:13 AM
Post #58

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

I've always thought it would be cool to have something you get at each event that you can hang on to and 'collect'. Just thinking about this now, it occurred to me that making something akin to a dog-tag, a small metal plate with a hole in it, would be perfect. You could keep a small chain in your glove box with all your event-tags attached. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Sep 1 2010, 01:15 PM
Post #59

That would be cool! I got the idea of a dash plaque from my days in "Vintage Volkwagen Of America - Golden gate chapter". It is cool to have something to remember the event.

If you don't want to deal with it for this event I would be willing to see about it. Let me know Mark and Jamie!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Oct 20 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #60

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_bump.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:15 AM