Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Air Filter for '73 1.7L?, hard to locate
BCinSC
post Jun 21 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Nothing but Trouble

Group: Members
Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

Round dry element. I found one part number: STP AF103 that apparently AutoZone lists, but doesn't carry and can't order. I've checked all local FLAPS, Pelican, AA, etc. What are my options?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JamesM
post Jun 22 2010, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(BCinSC @ Jun 21 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Round dry element. I found one part number: STP AF103 that apparently AutoZone lists, but doesn't carry and can't order. I've checked all local FLAPS, Pelican, AA, etc. What are my options?

I have not done a side by side compairson between the two (yet) but i can tell you that the early style 1.7 oil bath filters are pretty restrictive. I ran one on my buddys 2L with bus intake and the 1.7 oil bath and the filter wound up killing the throttle response and power. It might not make as big a difference on an actual 1.7 but i suspect that you are better off with the later style 1.7 paper element.

Last time I owend a 73 1.7 was about 10 years ago, so this is all from memory but as i recall the elements were NLA even back then. The one that was in the car i picked up was not even the correct element.

The dimensions on the AF103 are listed as: Height 3.22in (82mm) ID 4.94in (125mm) OO 8.06 in (205mm). The closest thing i can come up that might fit that you could probably get locally is the element used in a 68 bronco - SA148. K&N lists the dimensions on that filter as Height 3.25in ID 6.313 in (160 mm) OD 8.313 in (211 mm). The OD might be slightly to large though, i dont recall how much extra space was in that housing, and it will not center properly due to the ID being larger.

From what i recall, and correct me if i am wrong, the housing has a raised portion in the middle to keep the filter centered. If this is correct then I think the best match might be K&N E-3270. It has pretty much the same height and ID, it is just half as thick with a lower overall OD. Less surface area then the stock element but probably still better then going back to oil bath.
E-3270
ID 5 in (127 mm)
OD: 6.375 in (162 mm)

I just bought a 73 1.7 filter housing for testing purposes and i will find out out for sure what fits when it arives.

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:59 AM