Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Air Filter for '73 1.7L?, hard to locate
BCinSC
post Jun 21 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Nothing but Trouble

Group: Members
Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

Round dry element. I found one part number: STP AF103 that apparently AutoZone lists, but doesn't carry and can't order. I've checked all local FLAPS, Pelican, AA, etc. What are my options?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
BCinSC
post Jun 29 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #2

Nothing but Trouble

Member No.: 800
Region Association: North East States

Sorry, wrong part number. 2904. I.D. is good. Height isn't enough per your stock info, but it seemed snug.
Attributes
Air Filter Bottom I.D. (Inches) : 4.937"
Air Filter Bottom I.D. (mm) : 125.4 mm
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (Inches) : 7.125"
Air Filter Bottom O.D. (mm) : 180.98 mm
Air Filter Height (Inches) : 2.75"
Air Filter Height (mm) : 69.85 mm
Air Filter Top I.D. (Inches) : 4.937"
Air Filter Top I.D. (mm) : 125.4 mm
Air Filter Top O.D. (Inches) : 7.125"
Air Filter Top O.D. (mm) : 180.97 mm
Air Filter Style : Air Filter

Since all options appear NLA, is there another box I could fit to my 1.7L? I'll buy Cap'n's to see me through the short term, but then what?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
JamesM
post Jun 29 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,834
Region Association: Intermountain Region

So the more i look into this whole filter situation the more complicated it gets. I am starting to think the specs i found for the height on the stock filter might not be entirely correct. It looks as though the sock filter element did not have a uniform height but instead had a raised ring around the ID on the top side to create the seal. I do not have a stock filter to measure but i suspect that the spec i found on the filter height was the height measured at this inner ring. The reason i suspect this is that people that have attempted to use filters that are of uniform height of the listed spec wind up not being able to close the filter housing all the way or cracking it due to the pressure. If you look at the top part of the filter housing you can see why. There are 3 raised bumps that a uniform thickness filter will be pressing against that will cause air gaps and the keep the housing from closing. I think the options here are are grind off the bumps on the housing and use a filter of the correct height or use a filter that is not as tall and make some sort of gasket in place of the ring that should be around the ID.

I found some more information as well as pics of what i am talking about here.
http://www.vwtype3and4club.org.uk/forum/vi...003e69ebcb0cce5

Intrestingly enough the fiat filter they are using as a replacement in that post is the application for the napa gold 2110 however the stock fiat filter also had a raised ring like the 914 filter where the napa 2110 does not appear to. To confuse you even more the K&N filter for the same fiat is the E-2550 although the height on the K&N is listed as .125" greater then the Napa (perhaps to help make up for the lack of sealing ring?) the K&N e-2550 is one i have been eyeing as a good possible canidate to work with.

That NAPA 2904 you found has the perfect ID and a decent sized OD as well, it might be the best canidate to work with but i suspect it is not sealing on the top side as well. If you could, put some playdough or other compressable substance like that in between the top side of the element and the housing and see how much it compresses. I am betting there is still somewhere between a 1/4 to 1/2in gap there. If we could find(or make) some sort of rubber or plastic spacer ring though i think that filter would be perfect.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:58 AM