Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External Oil Cooler, let me see some pictures
tradisrad
post Jun 22 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,815
Region Association: Northern California

I am going to install my 25 row Earls oil cooler over the 4th of july and I am looking for some more ideas, tip and tricks.

I plan on using a wafer adapter to keep my filter in the stock location. I will also install a thermostat and a fan. I will most likely mount it under the rear trunk.

I'd like to see some pictures of what others have done. Experinces on the wafer adapter vs relocating the oil filter and what thermostats are being used. I've seen the Pelican Article.

thanks
-Rob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 22 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Cooler under left side of trunk. I have a very low airdam in the front with not much air going under car, so installed a scoop in the left rocker panel with a 3 inch duct for the cooler. Got rid of the Home Depot cowl and fabbed one out of sheet metal. I also used the sandwich plate adapter. The one I used has a thermostat built in.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jun 22 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

more pics

Attached thumbnail(s)
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 22 2010, 12:28 PM
Post #4

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jun 22 2010, 09:03 AM) *

I am going to install my 25 row Earls oil cooler over the 4th of july and I am looking for some more ideas, tip and tricks.

I plan on using a wafer adapter to keep my filter in the stock location. I will also install a thermostat and a fan. I will most likely mount it under the rear trunk.

I'd like to see some pictures of what others have done. Experinces on the wafer adapter vs relocating the oil filter and what thermostats are being used. I've seen the Pelican Article.

thanks
-Rob

What engine? Is this the small filter behind cylinder #6, the stock filter on a six, or are we talkin' a four cylinder car? Perhaps there's something useful here in any event. As you can see the 993 doesn't have a console mounted cooler like earlier motors. Instead there's a small filter there. Mocal thermostat...

Attached Image

Note: I took off the fan BTW. It cools just fine by convection.

Attached Image

Note: This is an auxiliary cooler. The main cooler is front mounted. The original Earl's cooler (above) sprung a leak (7 yrs later) so I replaced it with a B&N cooler with slightly better BTU removal.

Attached Image

More light...
Attached Image

I'm about to add a transaxle oil cooler behind this one in a couple of weeks so I'll have to add a fan to do them both. I've used -10 plumbing. The trans cooler will use -8. Hope that helps.

Good Luck!

+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 22 2010, 01:05 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 22 2010, 12:54 PM) *

Pics of under the trunk cooler...

Hey Elliot, I am going to be installing a cooler similar to yours. Where did you get the rocker panel duct, and what kind of difference did you see in oil temps?
Zach
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Jun 22 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

I don't think I have any pictures but my 2316-210 cooled just fine from a full flow -10 hosed routed to the back where I had a 2nd gen RX-7 cooler.

Since I ran a Tangerine exhaust there was a big open spot behind the transmission. Cooler had the internal thermostate and never got above 200 even beating the snot out of it at the track in the summer.

I DO NOT like the sandwhich method of routing to an oil cooler. Only getting a small percentage of oil gets cooled. Plus getting a short enough filter to get by the clutch cable / speedo cable is a pain.
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Jun 22 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #7

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

The PO of my car installed a front-mounted oil cooler. I have the sandwich plate thermostat. All components are mocal. i don't have heat in the car, and aux oil cooler lines run to the front trunk through where passenger-side heat tubing would be.

i was going to take the oil cooler out as i've been assured the stock oil cooler is sufficient, but i decided to just drive it as-is for awhile. Well, the car runs very cool. I have never seen my oil temp gauge deflect more than 5 degrees, and my temp compensated CHT gauge never gets above 300 deg F, and that's 5th gear on the highway during an 80 degree day.

I decided i'm keeping the oil cooler and i'll just install heat on the driver side. Maybe someday i'll reroute the oil lines so i can get the pass plumbing hooked up too.

I think an aux oil cooler is a great mod that's short money and really reduces the heat cycle stress on our aircooled engines.

i'll snap some pics later on tonight to show you the install.
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Jun 22 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #8

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 22 2010, 03:13 PM) *

Plus getting a short enough filter to get by the clutch cable / speedo cable is a pain.

i have a mocal sandwich plate and the standard mahle filters fit just fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Jun 22 2010, 03:23 PM
Post #9

my engine is a 4 cyl 2056. I was told by Rich at HPH that the new Mahle filters are shorter than they used to be and they fit better with a sandwich adapter.
thanks for the replies and keep 'em comming
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Jun 22 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I've done this twice, works "ok" for street, but if you plan on track or bigger motor I'd do front.

Orange car I went maybe one size too small on the cooler 9 row maybe? Ducting was for mock up made a small difference.

Attached Image

Plate adapter with built in thermo, everything was ordered through BAT.

Attached Image

Ferg

+Quote Post
pcar916
post Jun 22 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 22 2010, 11:13 AM) *

I DO NOT like the sandwhich method of routing to an oil cooler. Only getting a small percentage of oil gets cooled. Plus getting a short enough filter to get by the clutch cable / speedo cable is a pain.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that the sandwich solution should not be the primary cooler. Some of them even raise your oil pressure a smidge. But an auxiliary cooler it makes a 15 degree-F difference in my temps. I have a truly big cooler up front that works just fine most of the time. If I were still in San Francisco it would be fine for everywhere but the track. But in the deep south summer temps are brutal, especially in the city for a street car.

That sandwich cooler is cooling liquid oil rather than the oil-foam cooled by the front cooler... more effective heat transfer.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Jun 22 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What is the alternative to a sandwich adapter?

I have a sandwich adapter on my car and have been trying to figure out where to relocate my aux cooler as well. Rear fender well is ineffective. Watching this thread for ideas.
+Quote Post
Dominic
post Jun 22 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Dominic

Member No.: 149

This is a picture of my oil cooler set-up, it's a large Setrab cooler with a pull through fan designed as the primary oil cooler for my car. This is for a 4 cyl car with the CFR header that exits on the opposite side so no hot exhaust below this cooler, I am still working on ducting some cool air to the top of the cooler.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
zx-niner
post Jun 22 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,269
Region Association: Central California

Here's my set-up: Full flow oil, remote filter, by-pass thermostat and simple oil cooler. It all sits on the right side of the transmission since the left side is taken up by the Tangerine exhaust. It's only for street use but I've never seen the oil temperature exceed 2/3 scale on the gauge. That was on a 90+ degree day, stop & go traffic. It's never exceeded half-scale under full load pulling steep hills on the same 90 degree day. The next step would be to add a draw through fan if I needed to. Normally the oil temp gauge runs well below the middle.

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Jun 22 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #15

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Here is my front cooler setup, built for hot climate track use. The fab work was done by Ottos years ago and it has worked beautifully. Obviously the top shroud piece (cover) is removed in some of the pics. I was fixing a broken rivnut inside the enclosure.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-21-1277270963.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-21-1277270963.2.jpg)

Front intake - fairly large. I do not have a pic of the exit underneath, but it is sizable.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm5.static.flickr.com-21-1277270964.3.jpg)

Here is the actual cooler, which I purchased from Mazdaspeed Motorsports (used to be MazdaComp) as it fit the dimensions of the Ottos shrouding. Various other companies make similar units of course.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm4.static.flickr.com-21-1277270964.4.jpg)

The thermostat is a Troutman but I don't see a pic handy of that. Here is what the setup looks like from above when all put together. As you can see it occupies a significant portion of the trunk. This works for me since I used that Patrick/FuelSafe cell in the stock location vs. a cell on the trunk floor:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-21-1277270964.5.jpg)
+Quote Post
tradisrad
post Jun 23 2010, 07:36 AM
Post #16

zx-niner, wow that is clean. Talk to me a bit about your full flow system. I was toying with this idea, but I don't know much about it.

Where is you filter mounted? Looks like it is attached to the head; what remote mount did you use? and did you use the CB performance oil thermostat?

You guys have a lot of nice looking oil cooling systems. Thanks for sharing I am getting a good picture of what I need to do.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Jun 23 2010, 07:49 AM
Post #17

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Those of you that went to a full flow system, how did you do it? I am planning on just using a sandwich adapter...
Zach
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 23 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #18

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

a REAL GT Cooler

Attached Image

a Replica GT Cooler

Attached Image

the Replica GT Cooler under a RX-7

Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 23 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #19

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Here is a shroud I made for a front cooler (didn't have much room up there with the fuel cell)

Attached Image

On my newest car I will use the GT Shroud

Attached Image

Here is the 993 Oil Console that someone else mentioned and where it mounts to replace the stock Oil Cooler on a -6 ( This Console can be used on other 6 cylinder motors besides the 993)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
azbill
post Jun 23 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,403
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Dominic @ Jun 22 2010, 04:17 PM) *

This is a picture of my oil cooler set-up, it's a large Setrab cooler with a pull through fan designed as the primary oil cooler for my car. This is for a 4 cyl car with the CFR header that exits on the opposite side so no hot exhaust below this cooler, I am still working on ducting some cool air to the top of the cooler.

I have the same set-up on a 2056. The cooler works great on the streets in the Arizona heat (110F) oil temp about 220F

Bill
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:08 PM