Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> External Oil Cooler, let me see some pictures
gothspeed
post Dec 13 2013, 05:06 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

Cool ........ can this 'cooler delete/external cooler add' retrofit be installable with the engine in place? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 14 2013, 08:35 AM
Post #122

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(gothspeed @ Dec 13 2013, 05:06 PM) *

Cool ........ can this 'cooler delete/external cooler add' retrofit be installable with the engine in place? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Yes ..... This thread describes how.

Just install the adapter after the cooler has been removed, and cover the hole in the tin when you have the cooler out.

+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Dec 14 2013, 08:52 AM
Post #123

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

The remote cooler adapter can be installed that way but the rest of the project is not that simple.
The warmup flaps need to be completely removed and the new sheet metal blanking plate installed on top of the stock cooler tin piece.
I think the shroud needs to be pulled forward or the cyl 3/4 top tin removed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Dec 14 2013, 08:59 AM
Post #124

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 14 2013, 08:52 AM) *

The remote cooler adapter can be installed that way but the rest of the project is not that simple.
The warmup flaps need to be completely removed and the new sheet metal blanking plate installed on top of the stock cooler tin piece.
I think the shroud needs to be pulled forward or the cyl 3/4 top tin removed.

Chris,

Why not make a cap that fits where the rubber seal between the oil cooler and tin is connected? Then just disconnect the cable on the warmup flaps to insure they don't close.

+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 14 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #125

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I have a batch of adapter plates for the cooler location sitting in a box here.

Chris - any chance you have a block off plate for where the oil filter bracket goes?
So I could route to a remote oil filter bracket?

I wanted to use the sandwich adapter that I already have, but my plumbing to the front oil coolers is 12AN. The sandwich plate that I have does not have enough space between the fittings for 2X 12AN.

So I either need to come off the adapter plate with the 3/8" fittings to a remote adapter, or I need to replace the filter bracket with a plate that has 1/2" NPT fittings (3/8" NPT would work if they were far enough apart to use the 3/8"X1/2" reducer fittings).

I could go the "ful flow" pump route (probably drop the engine) or the cooler block off, but I actually wanted to keep the stock oil cooler so If I add a thermostat to the plumbing to the front coolers, I still have some cooling until the thermostat kicks in.

That way racing in cold(er) weather will not engage the front coolers until the whole system is warmed up.

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 14 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #126

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Summit shows a whole bunch of sandwich adaptors with 1/2" NPT fittings, or even larger in some cases.

--DD
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 14 2013, 05:43 PM
Post #127

Advanced Member

Summit shows a whole bunch of sandwich adaptors with 1/2" NPT fittings, or even larger in some cases.

Thank you! - that will work!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-22-545/overview/
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 14 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #128

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 14 2013, 01:50 PM) *

I have a batch of adapter plates for the cooler location sitting in a box here.

Chris - any chance you have a block off plate for where the oil filter bracket goes?
So I could route to a remote oil filter bracket?

I wanted to use the sandwich adapter that I already have, but my plumbing to the front oil coolers is 12AN. The sandwich plate that I have does not have enough space between the fittings for 2X 12AN.

So I either need to come off the adapter plate with the 3/8" fittings to a remote adapter, or I need to replace the filter bracket with a plate that has 1/2" NPT fittings (3/8" NPT would work if they were far enough apart to use the 3/8"X1/2" reducer fittings).

I could go the "ful flow" pump route (probably drop the engine) or the cooler block off, but I actually wanted to keep the stock oil cooler so If I add a thermostat to the plumbing to the front coolers, I still have some cooling until the thermostat kicks in.

That way racing in cold(er) weather will not engage the front coolers until the whole system is warmed up.
I kinda like that idea too ..... as of now, I am still slightly attached to the stock oil cooler (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) ............ however I believe this oil circuit diagram for the type 4 ....... may help make a decision on where the 'additional' or 'replacement' oil cooler should be placed in the circuit ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

P.S. I got this diagram from another site (link below, it was a changing GIF), so someone please confirm that this circuit reflects our type 4 engine case.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ.html

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 14 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #129

Advanced Member

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 14 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #130

QUOTE(stugray @ Dec 14 2013, 03:53 PM) *

I guess this is an ongoing discussion ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

According to this pic (re-posted below) in your thread link .... the pic I posted (above) appears correct .... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Dec 14 2013, 09:01 PM
Post #131

Looks like Jonsey already makes a nice billet type 4 'oil cooler delete' / 'external oil cooler add' interface plate with gaskets and 3/8" NPT thread for fittings ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Now all one needs to do, is decide how one is going to modify the flap / tin where the stock oil cooler was ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=783355

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
stugray
post Dec 19 2013, 06:46 PM
Post #132

Advanced Member

So I recieved the sandwich adapter plate in the link above from Summit and it fits perfectly.

There is room for the 2X 1/2NPT - 12 AN adapters and then the 12 AN straight fittings with plenty of room to work with the fittings.

I have the whole thing with filter hanging on my mockup (spare case half) and I am concerned with the weight of the assembly.

The cast stock oil filter adapter looks beefy enough to handle it, but the threaded pipe where the oil filter threads on looks like the weak link to me.
I think I will need to build a support bracket that supports the weight for any "four offs" that might occur.

Pics to follow.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Jul 28 2021, 07:35 AM
Post #133

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

Small cooler located in inlet ahead of rear wheel. Easy hose routing not near any hot parts. mock-up shots shown

Attached Image

Attached Image
UP
Attached Image
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:53 PM