Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Inner Long shots: Eastwood Inner Frame Coating, Coverage is really good, hopefully protection is too
bobhasissues
post Jun 29 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #1

seemingly endless issues with my 914

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,532
Region Association: None

I installed an Engman kit and am in the process of repairing the jack posts, so I thought I would clean up the inner longs while I'm in there. I had areas of surface rust on the lower edges of the wheel arch sections of the longs that I reached in and wire brushed as well as I could. Then I used a garden sprayer and lightly but generously sprayed in some Marine Clean throughout the longs and rinsed. I had to be careful in the wheel arch sections because there are knockouts that open into the suspension consoles and I did not want any wet stuff to pool up in the consoles. Just to make sure, I blew them out with compressed air after each step in the process. Dried the entire longs with compressed air and my shop vac on exhaust. The shop vac exhaust is great because the motor generates warm dry exhaust air and helps to quickly dry everything up. I let it dry more overnight and used the same spray method with some metal ready, soaked and reapplied, neutralized with a water/baking soda solution, then final rinse with clear water. Dried same as before. Wanted to add some form of protection especially since I just added about 300 welds to the longs installing the Engman kit. I did not want to leave those welds on the inside of the longs exposed to start rusting. Eastwood sent me an e-mail about their new Inner Frame Coating product so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's supposed to leave a zinc phosphate coat to inhibit rust, hopefully it works, it certainly won't hurt, and gives me some piece of mind about those new exposed welds. I bought some 1/8" polyethylene tubing and made up longer spray tubes than the ones included with the Eastwood kit (which are too short to get all the way to the front or rear of the longs from my access point at the jack post). Coverage is good, took three cans for real good coverage with some left that I will use to finish off the inside of my jack post patches. I'll use the seat belt bolt holes, which are almost directly across from the patches, as access to spray the back side of the new patches.
Attached Image Driver side wheel arch, shows knockouts that access console
Attached Image Passenger side wheel arch
Attached Image
Driver side above heater tube. Shadows hide my new welds down the right side, but they are well covered. Final color is a flat olive (army) green.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 12:33 PM