Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Axle questions for a Subaru Tranny, Another Subaru conversion...
Corkus
post Jul 7 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,834
Region Association: None

My 75 is getting a normally aspirated 2.5L EJ25 motor and 5 speed tranny from a 2000 Subaru Legacy. I don't want big power, but a nice reliable motor with a modern feel. The motor had 165hp and 165 lb/ft torque when new and it isn't going to be modified for more power.

The Bremar Tranny Conversion kit is on order.

After looking at all the conversion threads I could find, I didnt' figure out what to do about the axles. What are the issues to understand, kinds of parts I need and ideas about ordering or modifying parts. Wise advice are much appreciated. Thanks

Photos of parts I do not understand (Thanks to original posters if you are here.):

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
These are called "flanges" or "944 Axle Stubs" I think.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Jul 8 2010, 12:20 AM
Post #2

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Try this thread
+Quote Post
Corkus
post Jul 8 2010, 06:22 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Zaney @ Jul 7 2010, 11:20 PM) *

Try this thread

Thanks very much Zaney. Your reply is MUCH appreciated.

The excellent explanation you pointed out:
-------- start explanation
Attached Image

The axle assemblies are just stock VW Bus axles... If you use the 944 [Typo here... 914 Right?...] stub axles the bus axles assemblies will just bolt in. If you want to retain the stock 914 stubs (or reuse your redrilled stuff) all you need to do is pop off the outer CV add a small ring spacer (I will make these for a few $) and slip it onto the bus axle.
-------- end explanation

Do I get this?

Parts needed:
914 outer CV's
Bus axles
Ring Spacers (no specific part, fabricated)

Directions:
Start with the VW Bus Axles. Remove outer Bus CV's and replace with 914 CV's. Add a small fabricated ring spacer. Bolt in place.

So VW Bus CV's fit on the Subaru Tranny or do I use Subaru CV's on the inside? If I can use Bus CV's and axles and 914 outer CV's, that is great news. Thanks again Zaney.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jul 8 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

The 944 axle stub will accept bus cv's and the bus axle is stock on both ends. The 914 cv is a smaller dia so you put the 914 cv on the outer end of the bus axle to keep the 914 axle stubs. You go with the 944 stubs if you want to go with 911 5 lug hubs and brakes and wheels. The inner bus cv's fit the flanges you show in the picture. The flanges go on tranny stubs sticking out of the tranny. Some later 5 spd suby manuals don't have the stubs they are part of the suby inner cv.

A explanation of vw/porsche cv's is at Blind Chicken Racing. they use 911 and 930 porsche cv's on sandrail and buggy stuff for off road use. cv joint 101, it's under How To and then cv's and axles

http://blindchickenracing.com/

I don't know if anyone followed through on it but you can get axles splined for each cv and probably use the suby cv inner and the 914 or 911 outer cv on the axle length you want. It will probably cost as much as the flanges. If the motor is further forward and you need longer axles that might be the way to go.
+Quote Post
Corkus
post Jul 9 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(charliew @ Jul 8 2010, 01:38 PM) *

OPTION 1 The 944 axle stub will accept bus cv's and the bus axle is stock on both ends. The 914 cv is a smaller dia so you put the 914 cv on the outer end of the bus axle to keep the 914 axle stubs. You go with the 944 stubs if you want to go with 911 5 lug hubs and brakes and wheels. The inner bus cv's fit the flanges you show in the picture. The flanges go on tranny stubs sticking out of the tranny. Some later 5 spd suby manuals don't have the stubs they are part of the suby inner cv.

A explanation of vw/porsche cv's is at Blind Chicken Racing. they use 911 and 930 porsche cv's on sandrail and buggy stuff for off road use. cv joint 101, it's under How To and then cv's and axles

http://blindchickenracing.com/

OPTION 2 I don't know if anyone followed through on it but you can get axles splined for each cv and probably use the suby cv inner and the 914 or 911 outer cv on the axle length you want. It will probably cost as much as the flanges. If the motor is further forward and you need longer axles that might be the way to go.

Thanks Charlie, I went to Blind Chicken Racing and he does explain a lot of this.

OPTION 1 sounds like it is for making Porsche trannys work with Porsche and VW Bus stubs, axles and CV's. Doesn't sound like that is going to work very easily or at all on a Subaru tranny.

I think I get OPTION 2, Subaru inner CV, custom length and custom splined splined axle, and 914 outer CV . And to work correctly, the angle of the axle can't be too much for the CV's being used.

So, it's OPTION 2 then for a Subaru tranny. Right?

Attached Image

Does this photo look like OPTION 2?
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jul 9 2010, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

I'm going with your "Option 2" -- Subaru inner "tri-pod" CV and Porsche outer CV.

However, I'm going with the Porsche 108mm 930-style CV for the outers. That CV is very strong, there is a strong aftermarket support (read that cheap and available) and they bolt on to the 911 hub-to-stub axle I'm using on the rear of my 914.

The 28-spline Porsche axle is larger at its smallest diameter than the maximum diameter of the Subaru axle -- so I'll have 911-style axles shortened and machined/splined to fit the Subaru CV on the inner ends. I figure axles rarely fail, but CV joints do. So if I encounter a driveline failure, I can find replacement parts relatively easily.

But since you're going with a relatively mild powertrain setup, I suppose you could get by with the 914 outer CVs. You'll probably want to make the switch to 944 CVs, however, since they're still available new. Are you sure you'll NEVER go after more power? If you have an inkling that you might, I'd go for the bigger/gutsier stuff now...

Best of luck, and be sure to post pics of your progress!

Geoff
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 9 2010, 01:48 PM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(strawman @ Jul 9 2010, 12:38 PM) *
You'll probably want to make the switch to 944 CVs, however, since they're still available new. Are you sure you'll NEVER go after more power? If you have an inkling that you might, I'd go for the bigger/gutsier stuff now...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 9 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #8

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

I did the opposite, leaving the outer 914 CV's to be my "fuse" in the drivetrain. And that worked out pretty well when the kids put 6" drag slicks on the rear and were side-stepping the clutch. Quaife LSD, a torture test of Porscharu's adapter flanges. The flanges passed the test, the 914 CV's didn't.
+Quote Post
Corkus
post Jul 9 2010, 06:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(strawman @ Jul 9 2010, 12:38 PM) *

...Are you sure you'll NEVER go after more power? If you have an inkling that you might, I'd go for the bigger/gutsier stuff now...

I was wondering if someone might ask. My answer is sure to be as popular as a Diesel motor in a Porsche.

I used to ride a 2004 Yamaha R1 and another bike with less power but still nuts. That cured my big power urge. I'm good. I don't need or want huge power anymore. Everyone should have way too much power at least once, but I'm done with that.

I loved my first 1975 914 1.8 back in 1976, all 70-something hp. I'd hammer the engine for all it was worth every time I got in the car. There's joy in flogging a dog within an inch of it's life. I don't remember my big power machines that fondly at all. They weren't really that much fun to be honest. I had many bikes that were much lower power and a lot more fun.

This low power Subaru motor will have twice the power of the original car and a significant amount more than the 914-6, that's enough. I want balance, modern feel, light weight and reilability at a lower cost than restoring the car to very nice original condition. Makes sense to me.

No, no more power. No turbo, no fender flares, nothing like that. Not now, not later.

But hey, you guys go nuts with your projects. Subaru Turbos in 914's make everyone smile, me as much as anyone.
+Quote Post
Corkus
post Jul 9 2010, 06:42 PM
Post #10

Hey DB, thanks man. Your car is my inspiration. I had to see that someone out there had worked out conversion. I didn't want to be the first to try this. And you posted such great information about your project.

I love your car, the photos, the videos, the build. I want mine to be as well done as yours.

The photos I posted are from your car, right? Thanks again.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:52 AM