Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picture thread of white 914s, lets see what you got
scotty b
post Jul 22 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #61

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 22 2010, 01:01 PM) *

FRESH ( as of last night ) L80E

Scotty - what brand(s) paint are you getting the best color match for L80E?
... & is it old school solvent based or the newer water based paints?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Solvent based. I will not go water until absolutely necessary. I get the best matches by far from Spies or Glasurit. I try to use Dupont when I can, but for older cars my supplier usually doesn't have a mix code for the paint. What I may start doing is painting in Spies and getting it scanned with the DuPoint scanner so in the future I cna get all of the colors mixed in DuPont, I am just concerned about the accuracy of the scanner. I can save quite a bit on paint by not using Spies. That is important when working with budgets. My nicer cars alwyas get Spies start to finish and you're talking twice the price easily.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jul 22 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #62

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 22 2010, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 22 2010, 04:07 PM) *

I vote for separate threads on each color so you can more easily find the color in which you're interested! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Point of order. Request that the chair consider this as a motion.

Seconded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Aye!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 22 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #63

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 22 2010, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 22 2010, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 22 2010, 01:01 PM) *

FRESH ( as of last night ) L80E

Scotty - what brand(s) paint are you getting the best color match for L80E?
... & is it old school solvent based or the newer water based paints?
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Solvent based. I will not go water until absolutely necessary. I get the best matches by far from Spies or Glasurit. I try to use Dupont when I can, but for older cars my supplier usually doesn't have a mix code for the paint. What I may start doing is painting in Spies and getting it scanned with the DuPoint scanner so in the future I cna get all of the colors mixed in DuPont, I am just concerned about the accuracy of the scanner. I can save quite a bit on paint by not using Spies. That is important when working with budgets. My nicer cars alwyas get Spies start to finish and you're talking twice the price easily.

Thanx Sir Scotty! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I completely agree regarding Spies (Hecker?) & Glasurit Solvent based!
With all the cost, time & effort required on my 73's resto, I'll go full pop for one of those originals to get the color, texture & finish to be a perfect CW-10.

And apparently at least the Glasurit classic colors still uses lead - at least for Bahia Red as my buddy with the "almost perfect" 71 914/4 found out when ordering paint to get some scratches on his touched-up. It's 100% original paint, but has a few age wear & "ooops" scratches etc. that he's having detailed out as we speak, so he really wanted the original paint. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

So we in CA cannot buy anything - nor have shipped to a CA address - that paint & possibly other colors containing lead as well, & possibly ALL colors in solvent based! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Ergo my earlier queries here in the Garage & O&H on paints & body shops who can still shoot in solvent in SoCal vs. taking the shell to AZ etc. for the paint work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Jul 22 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #64

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

not my car, but its my pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Jul 22 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #65

Julian

Member No.: 10,383

L80E (repainted about 10 years ago by the PO)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/farm3.static.flickr.com-10383-1279847869.1.jpg)

I'm trying to decide if I should add the "PORSCHE" letters to the doors, or if they are a bit naff?

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #66

TMI....

Here are some of the L80E 914s which I've used to desensitize myself from my "blue metallic mania"! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Now I like White 914s!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

In addition to some of these posted already above ....

Jeff Bowslby's former ride -

Here's one I nabbed when it was FS online awhile back -

Attached Image

IIRC this one is in the Taladega Auto Museum or another one near Birmingham AL -

Attached Image

... or maybe it was this one -

Attached Image

Here's one from an R&T cover from the June 1970 issue -

Attached Image

... but I still love the Marathon, Alaska, Gemini, Metallic Blues, etc.! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

This is fun! .... great idea Dan!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 23 2010, 05:38 AM
Post #67

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Jul 22 2010, 09:17 PM) *

I'm trying to decide if I should add the "PORSCHE" letters to the doors, or if they are a bit naff?

Scroll up to the Babydoll pictures to see. Personally, I like them.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Jul 23 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #68

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Jul 23 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #69

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 23 2010, 07:38 AM) *

Ayup... thats why I put them on my car... have to be the positives though not a big fan of the negatives (edit oops had that backward)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #70

TMI....

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 23 2010, 04:38 AM) *

"... a bit naff?" - what is naff???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Porsche+Audi used them prominently in their ads back in the day, to help reinforce the Porsche connection, although none left the factory that way except for 74 LEs/CANAMs - & even they had the decals included but not attached due to the cosmoline used in oceanic shipping to "protect" the bodies from the salt air/damage. Dealers attached the decals in all cases - whether an LE/CANAM or a buyer option/request (unless the owner did so or had it done elsewhere themselves).

However, they may be a PITA to take off later - but at least the color fade shadowing where the decal sat will be minimal on a white car, as opposed to a darker color which tends to fade/oxidize more & be more noticeable.

Go here & you can play with the look of with/without the side stripes as well as other options, thanx to Johannnes of our 914 "French Connection"!
http://www.club914.fr/914blueprint.swf

BTW - he also sells a t-shirt in a 3-color printed white 914 at this link (I got one in black shirt), but check his member vendor thread here as he may still have free shipping or a discount deal going on for members (many other styles there too).
http://garage.spreadshirt.com/3-colors-fle...stomize/color/2

Depending on the MY - 70-73 were positive (1st/L pic) & 74-76 were negative print (2nd/R pic) & they look nicest in black on L80E/white 914s IMHO.
- Porsche+Audi ads above, real L80E/white 914s with "PORSCHE" side stripes below.

I personally like the look & got a set of black positive ones for my 73 2L resto, & will decide later whether to add them or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
... I prefer the look of positive side stripes - as in the yellow 914 ad & 1st "real" L80E pic, but would do the period correct negative one if mine were a 74-76 914.

Hope this helps with your decision! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 23 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #71

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

YMMV. I prefer the negative stripes as I think they have a less cluttered look about them. Plus the larger letters are more "in your face." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jul 23 2010, 12:47 PM
Post #72

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Mine a couple years back, before the luggage rack removal and the bumper backdate:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jjbunn
post Jul 23 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #73

Julian

Member No.: 10,383

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 23 2010, 11:10 AM) *

"... a bit naff?" - what is naff???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

snip ...

I personally like the look & got a set of black positive ones for my 73 2L resto, & will decide later whether to add them or not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
... I prefer the look of positive side stripes - as in the yellow 914 ad & 1st "real" L80E pic, but would do the period correct negative one if mine were a 74-76 914.

Thanks, Tom!

Naff means "over the top" or "bling" I suppose.

I wonder how easy the transfers are to apply and get straight?

They do add a certain flair to the appearance I suppose.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 23 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #74

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

A real Grasshopper ...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1141113592.jpg)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #75

TMI....

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Jul 23 2010, 11:50 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 23 2010, 11:10 AM) *

snip ...

Thanks, Tom!

Naff means "over the top" or "bling" I suppose.

I wonder how easy the transfers are to apply and get straight?

They do add a certain flair to the appearance I suppose.

Julian, I think that Jeff Bowlsby has the instructions from the original accessory decals sold by dealers (positive stripes are under accessories of his classic 914 site & negatives are at his 914 CANAM website).

Plus several member vendors here make new repros & have instructions, & you'll want fresh - not 38 year old vinyl. Porsche is now selling the positive decals for the new Boxster Spyder, but I don't know how close that is to the 914 size ones.

PS - you can try out whichever ones you get, by leaving the decals on the backer paper & use doubled up blue painters tape to temporarily affix them to the body, so you can stand back & look. The same can be done with black construction paper cut to size for rockers & sails to decide if you like them black too. I think that the black rockers & sail vinyl lowers the look of our 914s in any color, & the side stripes/decals make it more so when applied properly (use that 914blueprint to compare looks).

You can use blue tape too, to give you a straight alignment line for the decals.
+Quote Post
Gustl
post Jul 23 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #76

914 enthusiast & historian

Member No.: 2,212
Region Association: Austria

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 23 2010, 07:55 PM) *

same blue plates as this one:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-10181-1279867642.jpg)

I wonder if there's a connection (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

I absolutely like this Grasshopper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/locust.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 23 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #77

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

....Grasshopper......you can switch plates to any car you own
I do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (at least in Cali)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #78

TMI....

QUOTE(Gustl @ Jul 23 2010, 01:47 PM) *

I never noticed that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So did Jeff do the conversion to Grasshopper, or a subsequent owner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
... or were the plates transferred to another same vintage 74 914 (possible to do but not likely)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

PS - since I like blue on 914s, maybe I should get a white 74 from the known range & do it up with Blue bumpers, wheels & stripes, then start the myth of "The Blueberry" - UV4 or whatever! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Jul 23 2010, 03:53 PM
Post #79

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

I absolutely like this Grasshopper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/locust.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

I never noticed that! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So did Jeff do the conversion to Grasshopper, or a subsequent owner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
... or were the plates transferred to another same vintage 74 914 (possible to do but not likely)? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

....Ask him!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #80

TMI....

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 23 2010, 02:45 PM) *

....Grasshopper......you can switch plates to any car you own
I do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (at least in Cali)

You can also go out & find the appropriate year/color vintage plates off a wreck, swap meet, etc. & petition to have them reassigned to your car by Cal-DMV - so long as they're not still attached to any other car. So for you folks who have CA white plates, you can go back to blue/gold or black/gold (gold = yellow) plates appropriate to your 914's MY, if you can scare up a pair of old unused plates somewhere!

I put a post with the info & links on here a while back for that - FYI to anyone needing to do this:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=104349

BTW - I think the Grasshopper was by someone other than Jeff, but part of the story is on the Matsuda Bumblebee 914-2.0-SL post by George, where folks started posting about other LE's, as well as at Jeff's 914 CANAM site & LE Registry.

So - no comments on my "Blueberry" idea?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:15 PM