Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 200 914 parts restoration cars in need of a home, what to do?
Andyrew
post Jul 26 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Well, how many 914 guys are around you that REALLY know how to dissasemble them? I mean with a 914 on a forklift about 2' in the air one person could dissasemble a 914 completely in about 10 hours or less. (Obviously this person would need to be able to operate the forklift in order to pull the engine/trani)

I say you concrete a 20x20 pad, 3" of concrete should be good, Say about 1-2k. OH and get a 200$ large white tent to put over top so the worker wont die.

Then pull every car off one by one onto the pad, Inspect the car.

1. If the chassis is solid enough to drive on, and the car is complete or near complete, Pull it off to a cleaned area of the lot and offer them for sale for 500-1k. This would be your quick movers. I figure you'll have 10 of them.
2. If the chassis is solid and the car has minor damage or lots of parts missing, Strip it down to a rolling chassis and steering column. Put these in another area that has been cleared. I figure you'll have 40 chassis. You should offer the rolling chassis's for sale for 350-500.
3. If the car has been in an accident but has really good body parts, strip the chassis completely and set them on wheels similar to pick n pull. You should do this to a max of 20 chassis. After that, start stacking them to be crushed, send 2ea a week to the crusher.
4. If the car is rotted but has good parts, Pull the good parts and send the rest to the crusher.
5. If the car doesnt have any good parts, the chassis needs a lot of work, Offer the for sale for $25, If they need help loading onto their flatbed its an extra $50 per man per 1/2 hour. As you come to them, Offer them for sale for a total of 1 month, after that if you have a pick n pull by you, offer it to them for sale, if they wont take it, Crusher.

Now there are possible solutions for the labor here, You could have your laborers do the work. OR you could offer up to the locals some options such as.

Strip one car and get $250 in parts at current days rates off of any of the parts that have been stripped from the lot.
Strip 4 cars and get a complete car of your choice.
Team up with your buddy's and bust out a couple cars in a weekend for group rates!

Quick and nasty solution. Itll take a couple of years to go through it all if you have one laborer do it.

Pricing and all that is up to you, I just put in pricing that "I" would pay.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jul 26 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #22

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

Yea, the satellite pic looks like cars with green mold taking over.

Shoot, those are free rust southern cars!
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Jul 26 2010, 07:39 PM
Post #23

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

Cherry pick the good cars. Give the others away to anyone who wants to come
with a trailer and get one in the next year. Crusher the ones that are too far
gone and you probably still get 2000.

IIRC there are 30 or so easily restorable cars on AA main grounds as well...

I hate to see any Porsche not restored but better to save a few than none.

John
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Jul 26 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 26 2010, 07:33 PM) *

Well, how many 914 guys are around you that REALLY know how to dissasemble them? I mean with a 914 on a forklift about 2' in the air one person could dissasemble a 914 completely in about 10 hours or less. (Obviously this person would need to be able to operate the forklift in order to pull the engine/trani)

I say you concrete a 20x20 pad, 3" of concrete should be good, Say about 1-2k. OH and get a 200$ large white tent to put over top so the worker wont die.

Then pull every car off one by one onto the pad, Inspect the car.

1. If the chassis is solid enough to drive on, and the car is complete or near complete, Pull it off to a cleaned area of the lot and offer them for sale for 500-1k. This would be your quick movers. I figure you'll have 10 of them.
2. If the chassis is solid and the car has minor damage or lots of parts missing, Strip it down to a rolling chassis and steering column. Put these in another area that has been cleared. I figure you'll have 40 chassis. You should offer the rolling chassis's for sale for 350-500.
3. If the car has been in an accident but has really good body parts, strip the chassis completely and set them on wheels similar to pick n pull. You should do this to a max of 20 chassis. After that, start stacking them to be crushed, send 2ea a week to the crusher.
4. If the car is rotted but has good parts, Pull the good parts and send the rest to the crusher.
5. If the car doesnt have any good parts, the chassis needs a lot of work, Offer the for sale for $25, If they need help loading onto their flatbed its an extra $50 per man per 1/2 hour. As you come to them, Offer them for sale for a total of 1 month, after that if you have a pick n pull by you, offer it to them for sale, if they wont take it, Crusher.

Now there are possible solutions for the labor here, You could have your laborers do the work. OR you could offer up to the locals some options such as.

Strip one car and get $250 in parts at current days rates off of any of the parts that have been stripped from the lot.
Strip 4 cars and get a complete car of your choice.
Team up with your buddy's and bust out a couple cars in a weekend for group rates!

Quick and nasty solution. Itll take a couple of years to go through it all if you have one laborer do it.

Pricing and all that is up to you, I just put in pricing that "I" would pay.

I'm not even local and would come down and help strip a couple of cars for $250 worth of parts or 4 cars for a free roller.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Jul 26 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #25

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

OK George. Here's reality. You don't want to pay to have the cars dismantled and you want them gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

So. Pick a date 6 months out and this is the week that anyone in the country show up to pick up a car. First come. No favorites. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Make a deal with your local charity. Give them all the cars and take your $25k write off. The deal is that anyone can come pick up as many cars as they want and make a $100 donation per car to the Charity. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

You make out. The charity makes out. 914's make out. 914 owners make out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

For all this effort, you'll sell 10 times as much in parts for those wanting to start a new car project. Many cars saved! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(ps. Sorry, I wouldn't pay $1500, and probably not many others would.)

+Quote Post
NC_Colfax
post Jul 26 2010, 08:12 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 11,982
Region Association: South East States

I would make the 8 hour drive and crash at a buddies for the chance to pull parts.

They do something here local that might work. They have a flat fee for all you can pull and carry across a set distance. So say $50.00 all you can carry for 75 feet over a week or 3 day weekend. Once it is over call the crusher and that would be the end of the 200 cars.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Jul 26 2010, 10:58 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

QUOTE(Jacob @ Jul 26 2010, 03:08 PM) *

I don't suppose some kind of defoliating spray would work well enough to allow you to set up some kind of pull-a-part yard.

Is agent orange availlable at home depot?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Jul 27 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #28

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

This is so simple

Goats to clear away the foilage
Kill and bar b que the goats to feed the illegal mexicans to do all the labor.
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Jul 27 2010, 03:46 AM
Post #29

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 26 2010, 10:48 PM) *

This is so simple

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) that is wrong on so many levels
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jul 27 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #30

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(qa1142 @ Jul 27 2010, 05:46 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 26 2010, 10:48 PM) *

This is so simple

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) that is wrong on so many levels

When's dinner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
porsche4me
post Jul 27 2010, 06:44 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 483

I would start soon - and pick a weekend each month for the next 6 months to let 914 freaks load a 18 car trailer for a set price - I would take a parts car and a few other large parts(core motors/trans) for ,,,,, let say $300 - $500 ---- OR pay by the lbs. But if you have a 3 day weekend each month - people from all over can schedule a trip - more locals could do multiple month trips - hotels near by could have an AA rate - ....................................... My other idea would be to give AA credit for people with heavy equipment and strong backs - I would "WORK FOR PARTS" more of the barter system - you get labor for parts at retail - but pay wholesale - So a $500 parts credit may only cost you $250 - But if you had to pay someone cash you are out the whole $500 ...... spray paint a huge dot on each car - each color is a different price - $1K - $500 - $250 $100 - free ----- then no negotiation - take a "free" with a parts car - ............... another idea is have a HUGE saw-zall party - 1/2 cars are much easier to move than full one - you buy blades , we bring saws and labor - and we get to take 800 lbs each for out days work - 2 work days get you a parts car -
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jul 27 2010, 07:16 AM
Post #32

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

Well all of your ideas made me think of something. What if we got 20 people to commit to 1500 dollars each of used parts from the cars or 40 people each to commit to 750 each worth of used parts from the cars. That way we could afford to strip them properly and the parts would go to a good cause. As the parts were actually not really costing anything now we could make it a "free for all" so to speak where the 1500 would buy four times as many parts as the regular retail, for example a set of fuchs alloys would be 200 instead of 800 and a 2.0 engine would be 400.00 instead of 1600 etc etc.
In addition we would have a week long dismantling party paid for by the parts sales. We hope after all of this to have our four acres up the street cleaned so we can plan and build the new Automobile Atlanta with the best facility to celebrate the 914!!!
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jul 27 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #33

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jul 26 2010, 09:12 PM) *

Yea, the satellite pic looks like cars with green mold taking over.

You're actually looking at the cars from above through the foliage of the tree obscuring the car from view. It's not green mold.

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jul 26 2010, 10:04 PM) *

OK George. Here's reality. You don't want to pay to have the cars dismantled and you want them gone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

George is in business for the love of the 914 but he needs to make money at it as well. Properly dismantling 200 cars at 10 hours each and $20/hour (because you need someone that has some skills) would cost about $40,000. That doesn't include deforestation time. After they are dismantled, he wouldn't have the room to store the parts in the current AA location. It's not a worthwhile investment.

You couldn't have 20-30 914World members descend on the site because every one of them would be looking for the best condition 914 to leave with.

Record all of the VINs.

Pull out the rollers and put them on eBay with a starting bid of $100.

Gather any obvious parts on what's left.

Crush the rest.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 27 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 26 2010, 11:48 PM) *

This is so simple

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 27 2010, 08:00 AM
Post #35

914 Wizard

George, giving away a shell creates a customer... one that will instantly like you. Just saying...
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 27 2010, 08:19 AM
Post #36

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Do cars rust in GA? What is the current condition of these 200+ cars? There is no way you could have a bunch of people decend onto your property and hack away at the thicket and assume the liability. I suggest you hire someone with a liability policy to clear the overgrowth. Then you could be reasonably certain you could have people walking around these cars. What about snakes and deadly insects?
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jul 27 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #37

914 Wizard

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 27 2010, 07:19 AM) *

What about snakes and deadly insects?

Maybe Don's goat idea has legs.... if the goat doesn't make any noise after a few days.... you have more friends... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
914rat
post Jul 27 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 6,362

Rule #1 is find the best chassis you can find.If there is a good chassis in that pile George isn't Dr. 914. Have a picnic at AA and let the faithful descend on the cars and have what they want.When its over crush um for the $2k.
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Jul 27 2010, 10:05 AM
Post #39

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

My vote is to de-foliate the area. Stack up all the cars in a lot temporarily and price them to move. Hold the sale for the whole cars, do not part them out.

Pretty much the whole 914 community knows that they will be for sale. After a month, crush the rest. If no one buys them for a couple hundred a piece then it is their own fault. (why a couple hundred? because most people will have the additional cost of transporting the shells home.)

You would have done everything in your power to make sure life could be breathed back into those cars, and your conscience should be clear.

Judging by your posts, you are not looking to make a fortune out of the junk in the back yard, you just want it cleaned up and maybe make a buck or two.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 27 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #40

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

It cost me north of 1K each trip to get the last two cars I bought. Add that to the price of the cars and they have to be salvagable to be worth the trip. A free shell still costs north of a grand.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 05:48 PM