Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SCCA G Prepared 914, How does a person get more sponsors?
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 1 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #1

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

So I have the go ahead to build my GP 914 to take to the SCCA Nationals next year. I landed a big sponsor who is going to help pay for a good deal of the stuff I need but would love to find more sponsors. I am building the car from scratch so I will need everything. Anyone have any experience in this or want to help me out?

I will be campaigning this 914 all the way to the National event and I believe we have the talent to take 1st and 2nd in the class. I have the advice of a few great mechanics and even one who has built a national winning 914. Any and all advice is also aprieciated.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Aug 1 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,842

I think you should be the one offering the advice! How the hell did you get someone to pay for prepping a Prepared class car for a minor series in less than a year? What'd you do, offer them a kidney?
Seriously though, if you're gonna be running SD National Tour, SeanV8914 is a good guy to be in touch with. He's got a race shop in SD and is a hella good 'wrench'. He was a huge help(understatement) to Britt and I when we were down there.
That's all I've got, but I would love to see a buildup of your car since I'm prepping mine to DP spec.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 1 2010, 11:40 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

Step One: Win a bunch of races...

There's actually a pretty good section on 'turning pro' in Alan Johnson's "Driving In Competition."

Don't take money from a sponsor whose products will slow you down. Don't take money from a sponsor you can't ethically endorse.

Make a marketing plan. Show that you have a professional product. Show the event schedule and the demographics. Show the sponsors how their money is an investment that will pay off in increased sales.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 1 2010, 11:43 AM
Post #4

Sean is a great guy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . I won't be coming down to SD though. We have an NT up here and then the Nationals is a long trip.

I was able to get a good deal from someone who has a lot of faith in my codriver and I. My codriver, Matt, is a very good driver and with Greg Fordahl's help we believe I can build the winning car.

I have been blue printing the car for over a year. I just didn't say much about it because I didn't think I could afford it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Now I know I will be able to get it done. I will need some additional help to get everything I would like to do but if I am not able to get what I really want I will do fine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 1 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Aug 1 2010, 10:40 AM) *

Step One: Win a bunch of races...

There's actually a pretty good section on 'turning pro' in Alan Johnson's "Driving In Competition."

Don't take money from a sponsor whose products will slow you down. Don't take money from a sponsor you can't ethically endorse.

Make a marketing plan. Show that you have a professional product. Show the event schedule and the demographics. Show the sponsors how their money is an investment that will pay off in increased sales.

Wow, that's great advice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Thanks.

Autocross isn't the biggest dollar racing but it sure does have a lot of people who spend a good deal of money to do it.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 1 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #6

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 1 2010, 01:47 PM) *

Autocross isn't the biggest dollar racing but it sure does have a lot of people who spend a good deal of money to do it.

How much of that money ever leaves the circle?

This is one reason why contingency money is so attractive - if you actually win, you get paid and the sponsor gets to show they backed a winner. If you don't win, they still get the advertising but don't have to put out any cash.

Tire Rack has a big presence because mile for mile, autocrossers undoubtedly buy more rubber than anyone else.

You're probably not going to sell a lot of Porsches based on how well a 914 can do, so the Porsche dealer circle is not a prime candidate.

If you're selling to people within the autocross circle - what do they buy?

In addition to the strictly car-related stuff, they buy services. Travel stuff. Motel rooms. Fast food (a motorsports tie-in if ever I saw one, and not for nothing has Burger King got a deal with Tony Stewart...).

It's going to be hard to hit up the big motorsports suppliers (i.e. the Summits and the Pegasuses) without a championship, which is why Step One is Win A Lot. But there are a lot of 'second-tier' suppliers. There's a big trailer supply company in Delaware. I need to buy a bunch of trailer stuff myself - send me a press kit, and I'll drop it off.

Why would they be interested in you? They have a web site and an 800 number - they already market to the whole country whether they know it or not. It's your job to make sure they know it ;-)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 1 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #7

True. I think I am looking more for peoploe from our community that want to help see a 914 win nationals again. Even if they send a sticker I will sport it proudly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . This will be my first time going to the big event but I plan on doing this every year after as I feel the 914 is going to be the car for this class. What I have blueprinted may not be able to be fully carried out this year but it will be close.

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 1 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

So much confidence......

Let me ask a couple questions a potential sponsor might ask:
How do you compare to the local competition? How many class wins for the car?
How many SCCA class wins for the drivers against National level drivers?

Now the tough ones:
Why should I sponsor you?
What do you bring to the table (see above) that Joe Blow doesn't?
Why so few NT events?(I need exposure for my dollar) Are you a "homer"?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 1 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #9

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

Good luck.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 1 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #10

Thanks Ury. I am going to give it the best shot I can.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 2 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I havent looked but do 1.7 and 1.8 cars run G Prepared? Had never thought about that class. A tweeked 1.8 might just be the car in that class if thats what runs there. What is weight minimum and weight calculation for that class?

Non automotive sponsors are probably your best route. Honestly I dont think many automotive companies in traditional sponsorship realm are intersted in your car being GP AX National Champion. I think finding sponor that thinks its cool to sponsor a race car would be best route.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 2 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 2 2010, 12:04 PM) *

I havent looked but do 1.7 and 1.8 cars run G Prepared? Had never thought about that class. A tweeked 1.8 might just be the car in that class if thats what runs there. What is weight minimum and weight calculation for that class?

Non automotive sponsors are probably your best route. Honestly I dont think many automotive companies in traditional sponsorship realm are intersted in your car being GP AX National Champion. I think finding sponor that thinks its cool to sponsor a race car would be best route.

1.8l down to 1600lbs. Greg has read all the rules on it and he is a master at "interpreting" what you can do and can't do. The biggest factor I am looking into know is the engine. I have a good deal of people I need to talk to but have everything laid out fairly well so far.

On the sponsor side, I think I am going to contact some of the venders I have used in the past (since I am going to need to use them again) and see if they will send my stickers for the car. I am happy to help spread the name. If they want to give me a discount or throw me a few parts, awesome. If not no biggy as they have already helped me by supplying the parts.

Blue printing the car took a long time to get everything planned that I want to use but I'm finally finished and have some backing. Now I need to get a tub and get started building. I have three or four 914s I need to get finished before I can bring this home but the work starts soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Aug 2 2010, 02:17 PM
Post #13

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Aug 2 2010, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Aug 2 2010, 12:04 PM) *

1.8l down to 1600lbs. Greg has read all the rules on it and he is a master at "interpreting" what you can do and can't do. The biggest factor I am looking into know is the engine. I have a good deal of people I need to talk to but have everything laid out fairly well so far.

On the sponsor side, I think I am going to contact some of the venders I have used in the past (since I am going to need to use them again) and see if they will send my stickers for the car. I am happy to help spread the name. If they want to give me a discount or throw me a few parts, awesome. If not no biggy as they have already helped me by supplying the parts.

Blue printing the car took a long time to get everything planned that I want to use but I'm finally finished and have some backing. Now I need to get a tub and get started building. I have three or four 914s I need to get finished before I can bring this home but the work starts soon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .

You know it may actually do very well there. Wonder why no one has tried that class recently? 1600 lb 175 HP 1.8 might just be the ticket to a winning 914 in GP. Are there many fast cars running that class? I know its poorly attended at events I go to ...meaning 0 to 1 cars.
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 2 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #14

Well, it will be. It is generally the old (the one that doesn't break will win) type cars. Sounds like there is about three other drivers in the NW alone looking into doing this and two of them have won nationals in other cars. Greg told me he thinks the car I build may have an advantage over all the others as I am very familiar with the 914 and these others are more just drivers. However, having the right car is only half the battle. Still have to drive it. My codriver is at the level of a national driver but I'm not there...yet.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 2 2010, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Irrelevant old fart

The winning car in GP (AH Sprite) at the 2009 Nats was 1.5 sec(about) slower per day than the FP winner. No cherry picking here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 2 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I attended the SCCA Runoffs last year, and didn't see many 914s do anything special, so I don't know how well the plan may work, but best of luck! Years ago, we were running a Mazda RX2 in the IMSA Radial Series, and if it wasn't for the Mazda money and support, our driver would have never gotten anywhere. We had a fresh engine for each race, and fresh spare in the trailer, and another being rebuilt at the same time. That was the level that was required (and that was 30 some years ago). We had a lot of fun, but it cost a ton of money and time.

The SCCA has never been too kind to Porsches in the Production classes!
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 3 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 2 2010, 08:15 PM) *

I attended the SCCA Runoffs last year, and didn't see many 914s do anything special, so I don't know how well the plan may work, but best of luck! Years ago, we were running a Mazda RX2 in the IMSA Radial Series, and if it wasn't for the Mazda money and support, our driver would have never gotten anywhere. We had a fresh engine for each race, and fresh spare in the trailer, and another being rebuilt at the same time. That was the level that was required (and that was 30 some years ago). We had a lot of fun, but it cost a ton of money and time.

The SCCA has never been too kind to Porsches in the Production classes!

That's because they were just allowed into this class and people are really just now getting it going.

With the blue print I have for this car I don't see how a 914 would NOT be the car for this class. If you had all the money to do what I really want to do you could come very close to a FP car in this 914. Unfortunately, I don't have all the money to get it that far but I do think I have the skill and resources to get it close. Plus, I have a great driver to go behind the wheel. Matt is one of those people who can hope into anyones car and generally get a faster time than they did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) . He is generally a few tenths ahead of me but I have those days when I actually pull it off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) .
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 3 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #18

Irrelevant old fart

Jon, you are about to get an education at the University of Packwood & your report card will be published nation wide.

Lesson one: Git er' done in 3. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 3 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #19

Lesson? I already know I am about to have my ass handed to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I just don't know why you always have to be a dick about it. I don't recall seeing you do very well with a car that actually COULD do well. a '93 RS America in ASP against three supercharged Lotus' and three GT-Rs hardly stands a chance.

However, it is about having fun and getting more seat time.

The 914 for G prepared if built correctly is the car to have for the class.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Aug 3 2010, 02:19 PM
Post #20

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Must read the G prepared rules for my self.
I still know where my old race car is and it is pretty much just as I sold it to the guy.

Just needs a motor.

Ah screw that Iam going get my ass handed to me in a Kart. At least I will be going fast as crap when it happens.

Hang on just one sneaky minute. Are we talking Autocross? SCCA SOLO???

If so then Welcome to D Prepared. and that allows a 2056cc motor.

If you meant G Production SCCA road racing then I don't know shit and I will be quiet.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 03:09 PM