Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tomeric Build Thread, ...new brakes, new cooler and a video!
ewdysar
post May 16 2011, 11:50 AM
Post #21

What happens here, stays here.

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,030

Nice work, Tom!

I'm getting ready to get some GT flares installed, so I appreciate the pics of your rear wheel/tire clearance.

Which Fuchs rims are you running? Are you running any spacers? The rear tires are 245/50, what size are the fronts?

I've got 7s and 9s and I want to run 225/50/16s in front and 265/45/16s in back. I think that the rear fenders will need a little extra room for the 265s.

Thanks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 16 2011, 12:08 PM
Post #22

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 16 2011, 10:52 AM) *

I could be wrong , but looks like you are missing that big "cup " washer on top of the trans ear mounts . You have done a lot of work to this car , keep it going , looks great !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Thanks Jack! Hmm, there is a big cup shaped washer on the bottom of the trans ears but I believe these are 911 mounts on the rear which have a wide steel bushing that takes the place of the top washer. Good eye!

EDIT: Ah, I see now! That's a big washer I'm missing. Hmm, why does it need to be so big? (Image below from Pelican Parts website, not my vehicle)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.pelicanparts.com-9101-1305571536.1.jpg)

QUOTE(ewdysar @ May 16 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Nice work, Tom!

I'm getting ready to get some GT flares installed, so I appreciate the pics of your rear wheel/tire clearance.

Which Fuchs rims are you running? Are you running any spacers? The rear tires are 245/50, what size are the fronts?

I've got 7s and 9s and I want to run 225/50/16s in front and 265/45/16s in back. I think that the rear fenders will need a little extra room for the 265s.

Thanks Eric! I'm running 16x7 225/55 front and 16x8 245/50 rear using 911 offset and no spacers on the rear. You'll need to widen the fenders some more to fit the 265s. I had to trim the lip to get the 245s to safely fit. There's about 1cm between the fender lip and the rear tire.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 22 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #23

Update: Finished up the exhaust. This is a Maganflow Tru-X crossflow muffler. Fits perfectly between the headers. Equal length exhaust now for both sides. A little droney at 2000 rpm but not bad at 3000 rpm (highway speed). About $200 in materials and easily 10 hours of labor getting everything just right.

I used Rustoleum 2000 deg primer and paint on the muffler. Looks good so far. I'll try to update next year after I get some miles on it.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 28 2011, 11:06 AM
Post #24

Update: Finally done with the breather. There's really no good place to mount it. In the trunk was out because I carry stuff back there. I cut a 16 gauge plate, bolted the breather to it and then screwed the plate to the firewall.

Fitting on the breather is -16AN so I picked up some aluminum tube, swedged it to a straight fitting and threaded it on to the breather.

Hose is from my FLAPS where they let me wander the radiator hose rack until I found what I needed. This one is a Dayco part # B71540 from a Nissan/Datsun/Suzuki that I cut and spliced to get the right angle I needed.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jun 1 2011, 03:05 PM
Post #25

missing my NY 914 in VA

Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks GREAT!

I guess it is more of a NARP with the Nissan/Datsun/Suzuki part in it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 1 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #26

Yea, but the breather says Moroso so it must be fast!
+Quote Post
kconway
post Jun 1 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

Are those breather/catch cans required for street cars or ax cars only? Not sure what I should be doing with that spigot coming out of my tank.
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Jun 1 2011, 09:37 PM
Post #28

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

You do great work!! Car looks excellent now!! Must be quite a difference for sure.
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jun 1 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #29

missing my NY 914 in VA

QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ Jun 1 2011, 11:37 PM) *

You do great work!! Car looks excellent now!! Must be quite a difference for sure.

He DOES do great work, however I did notice one serious problem that NEEDS to be fixed.

He covered over HALF of the "Moroso" sticker... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Seriously, Tom's work is first class and this car is amazing. I remember when I first saw it, I figured we'd make a beater track car out of it. Now it is a phenomenal machine.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 2 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(kconway @ Jun 1 2011, 10:01 PM) *

Are those breather/catch cans required for street cars or ax cars only? Not sure what I should be doing with that spigot coming out of my tank.

Well, technically a breather/catch can shouldn't pass emissions, but it's old enough that most people don't have an issue with it. A better way would be to route to the catch can and then to the intake instead of the gauze element on it now.

I coated part of the engine compartment in oil without any breather and that was just from street driving. The can is a must in my view and handy to catch the oil and be able to drain off!
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Jun 2 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ May 16 2011, 10:08 AM) *

QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 16 2011, 10:52 AM) *

I could be wrong , but looks like you are missing that big "cup " washer on top of the trans ear mounts . You have done a lot of work to this car , keep it going , looks great !!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Thanks Jack! Hmm, there is a big cup shaped washer on the bottom of the trans ears but I believe these are 911 mounts on the rear which have a wide steel bushing that takes the place of the top washer. Good eye!

EDIT: Ah, I see now! That's a big washer I'm missing. Hmm, why does it need to be so big? (Image below from Pelican Parts website, not my vehicle)

That cup washer keeps the trans from sliding off the bolt from the open side as it " cups " over the top of the trans ear . Just a heads up note.

Still a great looking car.

Jack

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.pelicanparts.com-9101-1305571536.1.jpg)

QUOTE(ewdysar @ May 16 2011, 01:50 PM) *

Nice work, Tom!

Thanks Eric! I'm running 16x7 225/55 front and 16x8 245/50 rear using 911 offset and no spacers on the rear. You'll need to widen the fenders some more to fit the 265s. I had to trim the lip to get the 245s to safely fit. There's about 1cm between the fender lip and the rear tire.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 15 2011, 09:27 PM
Post #32

My solution to turn the oil cooler fan on:

Honda Civic/Accord/etc. radiator fan switch from Autozone, $20. Wells part number TU197 with 18 x 1.5 metric thread. Turns on at roughly 93 deg C. Off somewhere around 89 deg C.

Pigtail for same radiator switch from the local pic and pull, $1.50

The switch threads into where the idiot light was situated. I used the adapter that was in this spot for the combo oil pressure/idiot light switch now mounted next to the fan.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jun 15 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #33

missing my NY 914 in VA

QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jun 15 2011, 11:27 PM) *

My solution to turn the oil cooler fan on:

Honda Civic/Accord/etc. radiator fan switch from Autozone, $20. Wells part number TU197 with 18 x 1.5 metric thread. Turns on at roughly 93 deg C. Off somewhere around 89 deg C.

Pigtail for same radiator switch from the local pic and pull, $1.50

The switch threads into where the idiot light was situated. I used the adapter that was in this spot for the combo oil pressure/idiot light switch now mounted next to the fan.

Attached Image

Nice continued use of NARP parts!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, good idea.
+Quote Post
pete-stevers
post Jun 15 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #34

saved from fire!

Member No.: 2,914
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I spotted a single cab in one of those pics.....
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 16 2011, 06:31 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 16 2011, 01:49 AM) *

I spotted a single cab in one of those pics.....

It's in more than one of those pics. There's another vehicle in one of those pics too but it's undercover (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jun 26 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #36

So I tackled the oil leaks from my chain boxes with the engine in the car this weekend working through about 6" worth of access on the driver's side while on my back and the rear of the car on jack stands. Made lots of marks so that everything went in EXACTLY as I had removed it.

I pulled all of the plugs so the engine could be rotated easily. Once I completed the driver's side, I rotated the engine SLOWLY to make sure there was no interference. With everything in order, I started on the passenger side using the same process. When I put the passenger side back together with all of the marks lined up, the cam was off and I had interference! What happened? Well, while getting the chain box off, I pushed some of the chain inside the case which probably caused one of the links to skip a tooth on the intermediate shaft gear and put the cam timing off. I adjusted one tooth on the cam gear and everything was back to normal.

Everything is now back together and working correctly with no leaks from the chain boxes. Total time to complete... 20+ hours, but it was well worth it!

My view from below on the driver's side:

Attached Image

Lot's of marks:

Attached Image

Not for the faint of heart!

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jun 28 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #37

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Looking great Tom!

I like the fact that you "fix and drive, fix and drive, fix and drive... "

I know what's next! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 1 2011, 08:54 AM
Post #38

missing my NY 914 in VA

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 28 2011, 11:29 PM) *

Looking great Tom!

I like the fact that you "fix and drive, fix and drive, fix and drive... "
I know what's next! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Eric, according to your logical pattern recognition, somthing would need to "break" before he could then "fix" it...

So unless the calipers break, he can't fix em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, Tom is amazing in his ability to complete a project and keep that car as his daily driver all summer.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Jul 1 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jul 1 2011, 10:54 AM) *

Eric, according to your logical pattern recognition, somthing would need to "break" before he could then "fix" it...

So unless the calipers break, he can't fix em (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Seriously, Tom is amazing in his ability to complete a project and keep that car as his daily driver all summer.

With the extra hp I have now, I'm fixing it before it gets broken in a bad way at WG.

I believe I drove it every day this week! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post Jul 2 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #40

missing my NY 914 in VA

Good point, fixing brakes BEFORE something breaks is the way to go.

Very much looking forward to seeing that beast tomorrow!
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:38 AM