Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Guy With a Project
rotten914
post Aug 1 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,995
Region Association: None

Hello to everyone. Last week I was given a 74 2.0 that has been sitting for at least 10 years. I was told and from what I can tell it is a LE. The car is in pretty bad shape. Most people I have showed it too say I'm wasting my time but I just cant let this car go . I am determined to bring it back to life.Attached Image Attached Image Attached ImageAttached Image
The outside looks pretty bad but is salvageable its whats underneath that worries me.
Attached Image Attached Image
This isnt even the worst of it. The entire passenger side is rotten from the door back underneath, the firewall is pretty bad and so is the floor pan. I'm just looking for advice and help before I get in over my head.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Aug 1 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

This is a long term project. Even if you do the welding yourself, it'll be countless thousands in materials. On the plus side, the talent that is on the board can get you through. And, it's an LE car which was only made in 1974 so it'll be worth it when finished. Good luck and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 1 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #3

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) That's an LE but... run to VIN here to be certain. I'm sure Jeff will chime in.

Worse have been brought back to life. Do it and do it right and you'll be rewarded (maybe no monitarily but...)
+Quote Post
rotten914
post Aug 1 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #4

When I bought it the guy told me it was an LE and the vin seems to match . The guy didnt really know much about the car other than what he had been told when he bought it so I dont believe he would try to mislead me on anything. I'm prepared for long-term work. Until 3 years ago I was driving a 78 malibu since high school that had been an ongoing project, for now it is parked until I'm ready to rebuild it. This is my project for now (my wife is more interested in the 914 than the malibu). Money may be an issue. I may have to fabricate most of the parts I need to save money. I just need to know what guage sheet metal for the different parts I have to make.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Aug 1 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #5

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(rotten914 @ Aug 1 2010, 08:13 PM) *

Hello to everyone. Last week I was given a 74 2.0 that has been sitting for at least 10 years. I was told and from what I can tell it is a LE. The car is in pretty bad shape. Most people I have showed it too say I'm wasting my time but I just cant let this car go . I am determined to bring it back to life.
This isnt even the worst of it. The entire passenger side is rotten from the door back underneath, the firewall is pretty bad and so is the floor pan. I'm just looking for advice and help before I get in over my head.

SAVE THE LE!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Aug 1 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) This restore thread is going to be fun to watch with a great ending! Another LE restored! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Aug 2 2010, 07:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

The engine and mechanicals can be replaced fairly easily , ( little bit of $$ ) the body work will keep you busy for a while and usually is the most time consuming. Trunk lids can be swapped out with no damage to the LE thing , If you are serious about reworking the body , look into a rotissorie ( spelling ). Check out some of the restore threads on here in the restoration section , it'll give you an idea of what others have done with similar and worse projects . The main thing is your body working , welding skill level or the opportunity to learn and increase that level . Make your self a list of tools that you have and a list of what you think you need . Before getting on to the project , what is the titling situation , what does your state require and are you good in that dept , if good go to it , if not all the work you do may have to wait until you remedy that part of the car. Good luck , and there is a great welth of knowledge here to help you along.

Jack / Jaxdream (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
rotten914
post Aug 2 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #8

I have a signed notarized title and bill of sale so im good on that end. My welding skill is fairly novice but i'm learning. The thing that hold me back some there is I only have a 110 flux welder. I can get a bottle and upgrade it to a mig and thats probably what i'll do. I can work with sheet metal some. I've had practice with that. I believe the engine and transmission will be fine with rebuilds, i don't really have the money to replace them. One thing that may cause some problems later on is all the brakes are completely frozen. I can't even roll the car around and I need to get it in my garage to work on it.
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Aug 2 2010, 08:05 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rotten914 @ Aug 1 2010, 09:50 PM) *

When I bought it the guy told me it was an LE and the vin seems to match . The guy didnt really know much about the car other than what he had been told when he ought it so I dont believe he would try to mislead me on anything. I'm prepared for long-term work. Until 3 years ago I was driving a 78 malibu since high school that had been an ongoing project, for now it is parked until I'm ready to rebuild it. This is my project for now (my wife is more interested in the 914 than the malibu). Money may be an issue. I may have to fabricate most of the parts I need to save money. I just need to know what guage sheet metal for the different parts I have to make.

I believe 18-22 gauge is most of the outer body panels. Some of the stronger sections like the longs and floor panels maybe 16. The rear sections of the longs are double walled for strength. Of course, If I'm wrong someone will correct me. If money might be an issue, that maybe too big of a project to handle now even if your handy with a welder and can make your own parts. You still have alot of money in paint and body work and we haven't even discussed the engine, transmission, fuel, and electrical systems. Check out Jeff Hail's thread and his rustoration.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 2 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

Just pop a wheel off & pull each brake caliper. They need rebuilt anyway so just stick them in a box. With a little work you can get them off no problem. That is a huge undrtaking for sure. Nothing compares with the feeling of bringing one back though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 2 2010, 08:40 AM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Long term project but its a Real LE with that spoiler! Careful with that as they break easy, (I me how I know). Pull that and the calipers so you can roll it around.
Carefully strip the car of parts, bagging and photographing each piece BEFORE removing it for a record. When you are re installing parts you took off 3 years ago you won't have any idea how or where they went.
Use that trashed rear hood for metal for welding and use a MIG with gas setup as that is easy to learn and do good work on bodywork repairs. Lots of the panels you can fab except a few like the engine shelf etc that are really tough to fab at home. Long repairs you can fab and install pretty easy.
You can rebuild the tranny at home using DrEvils DVD I am sure.
The engine you can rebuild using Raby's Bug Me DVD videos.
Brake calipers go to Eric Shea for a proper rebuild.
Here is a shot of Rich's LE that took him, what, 5 years to do.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Aug 2 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #12

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Anything can be saved with enough time and money. But.. Damn! That is not going to be pretty when you start tearing it down. Does it pass the big butt test? Or would conducting the big butt test just cause the car to fold in two. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Zach
+Quote Post
seapotato
post Aug 2 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,273

cool. I'm in a similar boat, kindof inherited a buddies old 914, that may or may not be an LE.

the question comes up, are you going to "restore" it

or just fix it so it's somewhat safe and driveable...

option A costs about 50 times more than option B, and unless you do it perfectly, it still won't be considered much of a restoration...

which is why I'm going for option B. patch it up, zap in some sheet metal and enjoy driving the damn thing....

although I said this very thing once about 6 years ago, and then the 914 when back out behind the barn again...

cheers,
ryan
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 2 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #14

Aircooled Baby!

I don't think you have to go to the level of concour restoration to have fun with the car but consider it a learning lesson in taking the steps so you can put it back together and everything works.
Painting is a pain so stripping the car like in you pics is a waste of time. With that amount of rusty panels, have it bead blasted not sandblasted. Then you can repair the rusty parts welding in the new metal and restore the car. Then you can paint it yourself with a inexpensive HVLP set using epoxy primers and all the steps yourself. Wow, once you are there its then the process of cleaning up all the bits to the level you are happy with. Lots of metal pieces can be restored without rust by using a tank with a battery charger and baking soda to clean the parts back to bare metal. Buying a nice crashed parts car is a good way to go to obtain quality nice used parts for your restoration as JRust and Rich have done. Buying everything at AutoAtlanta new will destroy any budget so consider the parts car option. Its also a good way to get good metal to be welded into your 914.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Aug 2 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #15

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(rotten914 @ Aug 2 2010, 09:55 AM) *

The thing that hold me back some there is I only have a 110 flux welder. I can get a bottle and upgrade it to a mig

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

The 110V welder will be ok for all the welding you need to do on this car. The heaviest metal you would need to weld might be 14ga for some supports. Most metal is 16ga and 18ga so your welder will work out fine.

I knew nothing about welding when I got mine and now I'm still bad but I feel confident to weld anything on the car.

By all means, get the bottle so you can do MIG welding.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 2 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #16

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Only about 1000 LE's made total, so that's 1/3 the number of 914-6's, which ultimately should make LE's more collectable long term (yeah - I know - in the long term we're all dead), so it's worth the cut-n-paste (weld) to preserve an original LE & to do a concours level resto on it.

You can find another donor roller or shell (or several) to cut good body parts to replace the rusted & damaged ones on the LE, as opposed to fabricating everything - esp. where you'll need large panels with compound curves &/or angles/pieces.

So long as you're tearing it all apart & spending so much time - why do it half-fast!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) .... welcome to the insanity - it's addictive! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Aug 2 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #17

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Your determination is admirable. I don't want to sound negative, but research carefully before you leap. The pictures you posted are undoubtedly tip-of-the-iceberg for rust damage. Was this car submerged during Katrina?

LEs are desirable and collectible in stock condition; far less so when modified or not repaired to the highest standards. I doubt LEs will ever approach a factory 914-6 in value simply because the drivetrain and Porsche pedigree will trump an unusual paint scheme everyday.

For a dose or two of realism, here's a couple of impressive build threads that may reflect your future:

Veltror

michelko

You could have an incredible learning experience in front of you and a fairly rare car at the end of the rainbow. But it will take massive amounts of dedication, perseverance and $$$. Good luck.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Aug 2 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #18

Resident German

Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Aug 2 2010, 12:34 PM) *
Only about 1000 LE's made total, so that's 1/3 the number of 914-6's, which ultimately should make LE's more collectable long term (yeah - I know - in the long term we're all dead), so it's worth the cut-n-paste (weld) to preserve an original LE & to do a concours level resto on it.

You can find another donor roller or shell (or several) to cut good body parts to replace the rusted & damaged ones on the LE, as opposed to fabricating everything - esp. where you'll need large panels with compound curves &/or angles/pieces.

So long as you're tearing it all apart & spending so much time - why do it half-fast!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

A decent roller can be had for cheap. Heck, we cut up cars here in CA that are 100 times better than yours. All the usual rust spot areas are available as repro panels from RD:
http://www.restoration-design.com/index.html

If you need inspiration as to what can be done to bring a rusted heap back to life, read through this thread. Not for the faint of heart ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84350

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 2 2010, 03:15 PM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

so that's 1/3 the number of 914-6's, which ultimately should make LE's more collectable long term

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 2 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #20

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 2 2010, 06:15 PM) *

so that's 1/3 the number of 914-6's, which ultimately should make LE's more collectable long term

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

That LE is in slightly worse condition than the 77 Westy Camper I restored. Now, that was alot of work but getting it running and cleaned up made it bearable to have sit while I restored it over 4 years in stages. Now its done and worth it, but its still a big task to do on a 914.. Find a good parts car to transplant stuff from..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 09:02 PM