Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My Official 914 Restoration, The Black Beast is coming to life!!!!
VaccaRabite
post Feb 8 2011, 10:03 AM
Post #61

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The inside-the-longs pictures you posted looked pretty good to me. Surface rust only. Shop vac out the flakes, and spray them down good with Metal Ready or coat with Naval Jelly. Weld everything closed again and you should be good.

I would be willing to bet that MOST (maybe 80% or more of the 914s on the road) have rust in the longs exactly like yours or worse. The only way to really get it is by cutting and welding (overkill) or dipping the car (which can lead to other issues).

Zach
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Feb 8 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #62

914 Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,309
Region Association: Southern California

Here are a few pics of the inside of my longs i was able to take by putting a little camera into the hell hole. I used an internal frame coating spray sold by (Eastwood Internal Frame Coating) which really does a good job. Check out my before and after pics!.

Ed

Attached Image
This is the hole I cut out to repair. I took picture from within this hole.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Feb 8 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 11,073

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) awesome!! care to elaborate on the application of said product?
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Feb 8 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #64

nvrmd just used your linky.
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Mar 22 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #65

914 Enthusiast

I've been slow in the progress but here are a few of the latest pics of my project.

Attached Image

I'm gong to begin working on installing the stiffening kit this weekend so I've begun to remove the undercoating, paint, primer, goop, dirt, etc... This is a dirty, messy job. Although flares won't be installed for a bit I measured and cut out the opening in order to make it easier to work.

Attached Image

New jack post.

Attached Image

Clean up the front side of the long.

Attached Image

New floorboards are in along with the Engman kit.

Stay tuned for more.
ED
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 22 2011, 01:16 PM
Post #66

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(EdArango @ Mar 22 2011, 11:54 AM) *

Attached Image

Hey Ed, several people on here have had problems with those ratchet-type jackstands letting go & dropping the car on them - someone on here broke their nose! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Also those 4x4s can get bumped easily & it rolls off the stands, not to mention they block part of the underbody you're working on & welding, since they're in the way & flammable! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

For your own safety, I'd strongly suggest that you go online & Google for a good price on hi-lift screw or pin-style jackstands, then get the best priced ones for the height you want (their weight capacity will well exceed even a complete 914-6). They go up to 3' & some higher from what I've seen online.

We don't want to see you looking like a flat-faced Pug dog! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
.... & it will also be easier to work without the 4x4's on there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Camping World also sells a set of 4 screw-type trailer-stabilizer 6000# (3 ton each) jackstands which go 11" - 17" ht. for about $40 for the set of 4, but I don't know if these will work with the 914s -
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...s-set-of-4/4205
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Mar 22 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #67

914 Enthusiast

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 22 2011, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ Mar 22 2011, 11:54 AM) *

Attached Image

Hey Ed, several people on here have had problems with those ratchet-type jackstands letting go & dropping the car on them - someone on here broke their nose! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Also those 4x4s can get bumped easily & it rolls off the stands, not to mention they block part of the underbody you're working on & welding, since they're in the way & flammable! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

For your own safety, I'd strongly suggest that you go online & Google for a good price on hi-lift screw or pin-style jackstands, then get the best priced ones for the height you want (their weight capacity will well exceed even a complete 914-6). They go up to 3' & some higher from what I've seen online.

We don't want to see you looking like a flat-faced Pug dog! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
.... & it will also be easier to work without the 4x4's on there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Camping World also sells a set of 4 screw-type trailer-stabilizer 6000# (3 ton each) jackstands which go 11" - 17" ht. for about $40 for the set of 4, but I don't know if these will work with the 914s -
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/...s-set-of-4/4205

Thanks Tom...You're right. I've had others tell me that I might want to use a different type of jackstands. I will see if I can get something this weekend.

+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Mar 22 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #68

wow Ed that's some dam fine work! hope to see this girl on the road soon! i was wondering what prompted you to do the stiffening kit? are you gonna do a 6?
DAve
+Quote Post
EdArango
post Mar 22 2011, 03:41 PM
Post #69

914 Enthusiast

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 22 2011, 02:00 PM) *

wow Ed that's some dam fine work! hope to see this girl on the road soon! i was wondering what prompted you to do the stiffening kit? are you gonna do a 6?
DAve

Hey Dave! That's my goal.....go big or go home!
I'm planning on at least a 3.0 or bigger. I figured that Dean's car "Zombie" needs a little brother..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
silver74insocal
post Mar 22 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #70

QUOTE(EdArango @ Mar 22 2011, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Mar 22 2011, 02:00 PM) *

DAve

Hey Dave! That's my goal.....go big or go home!
I'm planning on at least a 3.0 or bigger. I figured that Dean's car "Zombie" needs a little brother..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

yep that zombie is beautiful...sounds like alot of fun glad you decided to stick with her..keep it up! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) DAve
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:27 PM