Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Acceptable signs of use, or, if it's perfect, it lacks personality.....
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Aug 15 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

personality, or in today's vernacular, "patina".

If it's too perfect, too original, too clean, too showroom perfect, it loses something that "use" imparts......the current operative word these days being "patina".

Some imperfections, or flaws, I would personally loathe. Door dings imparted on the side of my 914 by careless, lazy, or spiteful people would really piss me off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)

Minor stone chips on the nose and/or valence, or on wheel well openings, while not desired, do show use of the vehicle.

Similarly, modest wear of interior components (not tears, rips, cracking, etc.) point to a car that is driven and used, rather than put on a pedestal as an icon.

What precipitates this thread is my decision to forego any further pursuit to abolish my 914s' individuality, while yet still embracing the (mostly) EOM ethic.

Examples that will remain as-is as signs of use.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 16 2010, 07:31 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Hey Paul - I hear ya on that one, since the perfection monster keeps eating at ya as you go along on the car - any older car!

I'm debating how much to redo vs. just "clean-up" & maintain on my 73 2L, & if something needs to be taken down completely, then do it right. This inevitably leads to "scope creep" - "...well, since I'm doing this, then I may as well do that, & that, & this, & etc...."!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

IN total I have 4 cars under my care which ostensibly qualify as "classics" - 2 `88's, 1 `85, & my `73 914-2.0 - all will be (914 again) or currently are driven & the other 3 "non-914's" are current family DD's. So I try to rationalize what is upkeep/maintenance vs. pretty looks, then definitely do the former & some of the pretty-up stuff that makes sense. One factor which my working on the resto/repair of the 914 has taught me, it to get the parts needed on the other 3 cars now - before they go NLA &/or jack-up the price to cost a mint!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

In your 914's case, if it were me - I'd repaint the seat handles & dipstick handle to prevent any future deterioration &/or rust on those parts, but might not be so anal as to change the steering wheel & might just touch-up the gauge rings with a black marker to not offend the CW eye! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Of course, you & Pat go back a long way, & he hasn't weighed in yet, so I think I feel a lecture coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Aug 17 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #3

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

yep, I have the 76 914 2.0L and the 77 Westy to keep in restored condition not that either is Concour shape.

Paint the damn handles and those dashfaceplate screws that are always chipped...
I would paint the dipstick too...
+Quote Post
tod914
post Aug 17 2010, 06:10 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

Paul, I agree with Jeff. Definetly refinish those items. You put so much effort into the car already, those minor little touches will be a plus. I didn't realize the 1.7 dip stick had grey paint on it. Figured it would of been yellow zinc or cad. A car with too much "patina" usually makes it way to a sawzall party. Another option, is keep your original pieces and replace them with nos or refinished ones.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 18 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #5

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Of course, you & Pat go back a long way, & he hasn't weighed in yet, so I think I feel a lecture coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
[/quote]
Yes we do! 30 plus years! And I still can't figure Paul out!

Sends his car to Stoddard for a complete physical. F & R everyting mechanical & structural, and now he's worried about "patina"? Give me a break!

Hey Paul - the "patina" is gone!

Get over it - take 'em off & redo them (you DO have a wrench?). They are inconsistent with the rest of the car. Fix 'em.
Pat
+Quote Post
914werke
post Sep 20 2010, 10:48 PM
Post #6

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What !? The Dip stick is supposed to be Grey?
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Sep 21 2010, 06:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,103

FYI- The factory wasn't perfect either. I get points off for excess glue oozing out from the dash. I refuse to take it off. The factory put it there- it stays. Also, some paint runs in the trunk(s). There are others that escape my mind at the moment. There really is no such thing as perfect, we just try to achieve it.

Dave
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 28 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 20 2010, 09:48 PM) *

What !? The Dip stick is supposed to be Grey?

I don't recall ever seeing a painted dipstick, but it's not something I actually looked for ......................

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 17 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I doubt the painted dipstick. Never seen one that looked original. Always seen zinc plated ones.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 17 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #10

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Patina shmatina!

Repaint those adjusters! They look shabby!

The dipstick is a connundrum(SP). Never seen one blue before. But.....you and I both know the original owner, and we was not likely to do that as a personal item. I'd either repaint & try to ecplain it, or scrape it down to the zinc level & not have to answer questions.

You have become the Vegan of 914 owners. Make it right.
Pat
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 09:32 PM