Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Body flex
Montreal914
post Oct 6 2010, 09:36 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,023
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Oct 6 2010, 08:21 AM) *

Before you start welding there, please make sure that you brace your door openings. if you do not do this, you can warp your car from the heat of welding. Its a common mistake for guys learning to weld or learning the quirks of these cars.

So both sides have been repaired now (1 day) and the doors are good. I took dimension and evryrhing is good.

Thanks for the tip!
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Oct 6 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #42

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2010, 08:28 AM) *

Also make sure your passenger seatbelt mount down by the long has not been compromised.
(credit Scotty B for that bit of info)

The whole interior is very nice. I don't have a picture, but that cylindrical nut on the inner long is as good as new on both sides.
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Oct 6 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 3,697
Region Association: None

Are you planning on moving back to Montreal eventually?

If so and you really like the 914, start saving money and looking for the best tub you can find.

Many people here have been through what you have been and are giving you good advice to consider, it may come through as harsh sometimes but I guess it's the natural evolution of people who own these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When you are so close to good tubs, spending alot of dough on what you have is not justified, the car should have a big load of sentimental value or be pretty rare to spend plenty of cash.

I think most people here (who are not super body men) who have nice cars are at their 2nd, 3rd, 4th 914.

Usually your 1st one is kinda crappy and then you learn the car and you learn from previous mistakes.

So play as much as you want with this car, keep looking for a great deal on a tub and go on from there. Just don't think you'll turn this car in a concours winner...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 6 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #44

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Oct 6 2010, 11:38 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2010, 08:28 AM) *

Also make sure your passenger seatbelt mount down by the long has not been compromised.
(credit Scotty B for that bit of info)

The whole interior is very nice. I don't have a picture, but that cylindrical nut on the inner long is as good as new on both sides.

I mean the sheet metal the nut is attached too.
+Quote Post
Montreal914
post Oct 6 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(mihai914 @ Oct 6 2010, 08:44 AM) *

Are you planning on moving back to Montreal eventually?

If so and you really like the 914, start saving money and looking for the best tub you can find.

Many people here have been through what you have been and are giving you good advice to consider, it may come through as harsh sometimes but I guess it's the natural evolution of people who own these (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When you are so close to good tubs, spending alot of dough on what you have is not justified, the car should have a big load of sentimental value or be pretty rare to spend plenty of cash.

I think most people here (who are not super body men) who have nice cars are at their 2nd, 3rd, 4th 914.

Usually your 1st one is kinda crappy and then you learn the car and you learn from previous mistakes.

So play as much as you want with this car, keep looking for a great deal on a tub and go on from there. Just don't think you'll turn this car in a concours winner...

Hey Montreal!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Glad to see another Montreal owner! I will go back at some point. I'm down here on a work project. When I do, I will bring it back up and drive it in the summer obviously. I really don't intend to make it a concour winner out of it. I'm not a concour winner car type of person. I usually only own one car at a time and use it. So far I haven't been spending too much on it. These current repair will be less than a good tub and less work to transfer everything. There is some very good mileage to be used on this one still.

I appreciate all the advice that I get from this forum. I can see that there are many views. Some have have lifetime jackstand dreams, some concours, some professional shops that make a living out of this and are very knowledgeable, some very big reconstruction project that I admire, and others that look for cars to dismantle and make profits out of a door or caliper. I personnaly enjoy the fact that after 37 years, this little car is a blast to drive and I get that feeling every morning, night and weekend trips.

I'm always looking at what is available and would dream of building a 6 out of a good tub but in the end we all know that these projects cost way more than buying a completed project. When I get tired of this one, I will look for a better one, but as of now, it gets me where I need to go everyday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 6 2010, 08:54 PM
Post #46

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

thanks. I feel better now.
I agree with you. enjoy your car
+Quote Post
914xprs
post Oct 6 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #47

Porsche 914 parts and cars

Group: NoClassifiedAccess
Member No.: 10,564
Region Association: Southwest Region

hello,
i have a bunch of good metal, and i weld as well. if you bring to me here in riverside we can fix you up. if this is not taken care of you will end up foling the car in half when hitting a pothole on the freeway.
i have all you need and i can repair your car. let me know .
its terry by the way. you bought the slider from me.
thanks.
and i am not tryin to get rich and we will work out somethin fair...

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 25 2010, 08:50 PM) *

Tip of the iceberg. Mine looked similar. Both longs needed major repair/replacement and floors were toast.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 11:23 AM