Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fender-Cowl repair. Advice needed!, Anyone have detailed pics of the rust channel?
Gudhjem
post Aug 28 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,629
Region Association: Northern California

I've had bubbling showing through on both sides of the fender-cowl seem, which was welded together by the PO. So I knew I had some problems, and finally started digging in. Here are a few pics of what I found:

Attached Image
Attached Image

I know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

It's not quite as bad as those pics make it look (I hope) since the rust seems to be localized to the area right at the former cowl seems, which look like they were welded shut without treating existing rust underneath. Other than right in the corners, the hood channels, etc. look pretty good.

I've been working out how to go about rebuilding this area all week. I'd like to reconstruct the channel, not reweld it closed, and I'd like to do it right, not just cover the problem. Several pieces come together here, and it's not clear to me how it's even possible to weld all of these together, even with the fender removed. How, for example, does one fully-weld the drain channel so that it doesn't invite water seeping in the seams that are left?

I've scoured the sites for rebuild threads that include this area, and found several good ones with helpful pics of the area (Michelko's Digging into Hell, Bringing out the Dead, among others). I haven't been able to figure out exactly how all these restoration heroes went about this fix.

I'm wondering if anyone has pics of this area that clearly show the construction. I think I have it deciphered, but not 100% sure since mine was already repaired and welded shut.

Maybe someone can share some wisdom on how to go about the reconstruction? Specifically what to weld to what, etc. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

--Steve
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2024 - 05:13 AM