Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creamsicle Project, Still tinkering... now it's running!
poorsche914
post Sep 6 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I finally decided to tackle getting my LE started and thought the long Labor Day weekend would be the perfect time. I had already replaced the fuel tank and lines up front and had sourced '74 FI parts and bought a new Optima battery. The final piece to the puzzle was a working fuel pump which I got a couple weeks ago.

So this weekend I installed the pump and put power to it. It ran but wasn't pumping fuel up to the engine. I heard gurgling from the tank. Low fuel level. So I added more gas and tried again. Success! Fuel was now being pumped to the fuel rail but there were several leaks. Took care of these and cranked it. Nothing. Pulled two injectors and saw they were not firing. Swapped out harnesses and more of the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I have both a single progressive and dual 40s. I seriously contemplated pulling the FI and installing the single Weber after a rebuild just to get the car running. After chatting with mipstein I had a few things I thought I should try first. I put power to each injector and they all fired so that took bad injectors out of the equation. I looked over pbanders d-jet page for clues. Somewhere along the way I realized the ECU was not getting power and perhaps the relay board was suspect. Having two extra boards, I picked one, transferred relays, etc and plugged it into the 914's harnesses. Turned the key, let fuel pressure build, cranked it and she fired right up!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Vacuum lines, etc aren't hooked up so it revved high before I turned it off. Next step is to hook up all the vac lines (and install new shift bushings, install accel pedal, etc, etc) Goal is to have it on the road for MUSR11 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NC_Colfax
post Sep 6 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,982

From what I have read the single weber is poo and not worth the effort to put it on....

Glad you got it running....
+Quote Post
PanelBilly
post Sep 6 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Next week I start stripping mine for a full paint job
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Sep 6 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #4

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Sep 6 2010, 06:57 PM) *

I finally decided to tackle getting my LE started and thought the long Labor Day weekend would be the perfect time. I had already replaced the fuel tank and lines up front and had sourced '74 FI parts and bought a new Optima battery. The final piece to the puzzle was a working fuel pump which I got a couple weeks ago.

So this weekend I installed the pump and put power to it. It ran but wasn't pumping fuel up to the engine. I heard gurgling from the tank. Low fuel level. So I added more gas and tried again. Success! Fuel was now being pumped to the fuel rail but there were several leaks. Took care of these and cranked it. Nothing. Pulled two injectors and saw they were not firing. Swapped out harnesses and more of the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I have both a single progressive and dual 40s. I seriously contemplated pulling the FI and installing the single Weber after a rebuild just to get the car running. After chatting with mipstein I had a few things I thought I should try first. I put power to each injector and they all fired so that took bad injectors out of the equation. I looked over pbanders d-jet page for clues. Somewhere along the way I realized the ECU was not getting power and perhaps the relay board was suspect. Having two extra boards, I picked one, transferred relays, etc and plugged it into the 914's harnesses. Turned the key, let fuel pressure build, cranked it and she fired right up!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Vacuum lines, etc aren't hooked up so it revved high before I turned it off. Next step is to hook up all the vac lines (and install new shift bushings, install accel pedal, etc, etc) Goal is to have it on the road for MUSR11 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 8 2010, 02:42 PM
Post #5

T4 Supercharged

Got a vacuum line kit from AA and installed it last night. Hooked everything up according to the schematic which was very helpful.
Turned the key and it would turn over but not fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Pump runs for several seconds and then turns off so apparently system is getting pressurized.

Today I tried some starting fluid to see if that would help. Nothing.
Unhooked the advance and plugged the nipple on the throttle body.
Pulled a plug wire and inserted a spare plug to check for fire. Had my son turn the key.
It fired right up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Since I was holding a plug wire, I told him to turn it off. Ran about 5 seconds or so.
Replaced plug wire and tried to start it.
Started to fire and then BOOOOOM and a cloud of white smoke out the tail pipe.

Now, it won't crank. The starter just clicks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Any ideas? Not sure how the BOOM would be related to the starter not working. The motor is not locked up.

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 8 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #6

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 8 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Got a vacuum line kit from AA and installed it last night. Hooked everything up according to the schematic which was very helpful.
Turned the key and it would turn over but not fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
Pump runs for several seconds and then turns off so apparently system is getting pressurized.

Pulled a plug wire and inserted a spare plug to check for fire. Had my son turn the key.
Since I was holding a plug wire, I told him to turn it off. Ran about 5 seconds or so.

Now, it won't crank. The starter just clicks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Any ideas? Not sure how the BOOM would be related to the starter not working. The motor is not locked up.

The starter just clicking sounds like solenoid. You could try whacking on the starter and it might work. As for the BOOM, I don't know.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 8 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #7

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 8 2010, 07:58 PM) *

The starter just clicking sounds like solenoid. You could try whacking on the starter and it might work. As for the BOOM, I don't know.
LOL, yeah, tried the hammer already (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
I think the boom was maybe excess starter fluid. Or would that have evaporated out?

+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 8 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #8

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

How do you know the engine isn't locked up?

It seems weird that the boom from the engine now caused the starter not to engage the engine.

How much voltage do you have at the battery? Have you been charging it in between trying to get it running?

Is the engine timed correctly? When was the last time you started the engine?

Are you still running the FI?

Is the CHT sender connected? What is its resistance to ground? I had an issue when I couldn't get the car started (DJet). I disconnected the power connector to the brain and it started right up then died. Turns out the CHT was disconnected and the engine wouldn't run because it was flooding.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 8 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #9

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 8 2010, 09:28 PM) *
How do you know the engine isn't locked up?
I put the car in gear and pushed it back and forth.
It seems weird that the boom from the engine now caused the starter not to engage the engine.
I agree. Don't think one has anything to do with the other.
How much voltage do you have at the battery? Have you been charging it in between trying to get it running?
Yes, freshly charged. Cranked fine the time it did start.
Is the engine timed correctly? When was the last time you started the engine?
Car sat for 10+ years since last being run. Maybe 20 years. I purchased car in May. FI had incorrect ECU, injectors, etc. Put correct FI pieces on the car and got it running for a very short time with old vacuum lines. Installed new lines yesterday.
Are you still running the FI?
Yes.
Is the CHT sender connected? What is its resistance to ground? I had an issue when I couldn't get the car started (DJet). I disconnected the power connector to the brain and it started right up then died. Turns out the CHT was disconnected and the engine wouldn't run because it was flooding.
Yes, the CHT is connected. Have not checked resistance.

When trying to start today, it would turn over fine but acted like no fuel or spark. The only things I had done when it did fire up was remove the advance line and plug the nipple on the throttle body and sprayed some starting fluid down the intake. It fired right up on 3 cylinders as I had one wire unplugged to check for spark. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Going to pull the starter tomorrow. I think I have a spare somewhere - just have to find it.

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 9 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #10

T4 Supercharged

Pulled the starter this morning and applied the BFH treatment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Reinstalled, turned the key, and it started right up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Now to get the accelerator pedal installed, check valve adjustment, timing, etc, change the oil, get some tires, etc, etc and hope it all stays together for MUSR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 9 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #11

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 9 2010, 10:52 AM) *

Pulled the starter this morning and applied the BFH treatment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
Reinstalled, turned the key, and it started right up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
Now to get the accelerator pedal installed, check valve adjustment, timing, etc, change the oil, get some tires, etc, etc and hope it all stays together for MUSR (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 10 2010, 05:16 AM
Post #12

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Good show!

This is the opposite of a gremlin. You have a problem, take it apart seemingly doing nothing besides (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif), put it together and it works.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #13

T4 Supercharged

Main goal of getting the engine started has been reached. Now to tackle some electrical issues: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
When I first put a battery in the car a couple months ago, I checked the lights, blinkers, fuel gauge, etc to see if they worked. For the most part, all checked out OK. As I have been working on getting the motor running, things seem to have degenerated. For a while, when I turned on the blinkers, the tach would jump and the blinkers did not blink but would make a noise from the relay. Now, there is nothing from the dash gauges - no tach when engine running, no blinkers, no lights of any kind, no fuel gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
I have not done anything to the electrical beyond switching out FI harnesses and the relay board. Headlights and parking lights work. Have not hooked up center console to see if it works.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 10 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #14

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 12:44 PM) *

Main goal of getting the engine started has been reached. Now to tackle some electrical issues: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
When I first put a battery in the car a couple months ago, I checked the lights, blinkers, fuel gauge, etc to see if they worked. For the most part, all checked out OK. As I have been working on getting the motor running, things seem to have degenerated. For a while, when I turned on the blinkers, the tach would jump and the blinkers did not blink but would make a noise from the relay. Now, there is nothing from the dash gauges - no tach when engine running, no blinkers, no lights of any kind, no fuel gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
I have not done anything to the electrical beyond switching out FI harnesses and the relay board. Headlights and parking lights work. Have not hooked up center console to see if it works.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Start with the obvious if you haven't already. Check all fuses, relays and ground wires. Double check all connections and use some contact cleaner on things.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Oct 10 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #15

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Are the gages connected? Have you had them out since you got it? Just thought someone pulled them & didn't hook them back up. Maybe they just put them back in place without hooking them up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) . Or partially hooked things up? I would check all the connections first & the fuses.

Good luck with the LE. Hoping to have mine running this week after yet another hickup (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 12:21 PM
Post #16

T4 Supercharged

Yeah, did the obvious of checking fuses, grounds, etc.
Everything worked at one point and now they don't (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
I haven't messed with the gauge cluster at all.

+Quote Post
dvtorr
post Oct 10 2010, 12:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 12,138

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 8 2010, 12:42 PM) *

is it a click or more like a clunk sounds? Same thing happened to me and Idk if my motor is seized up or not. Right now Im stuck on this.. Figuring out the problem isnt easy! what is a BFH treatment for the starter?
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 12:43 PM
Post #18

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(dvtorr @ Oct 10 2010, 02:36 PM) *
is it a click or more like a clunk sounds? Same thing happened to me and Idk if my motor is seized up or not. Right now Im stuck on this.. Figuring out the problem isnt easy! what is a BFH treatment for the starter?
For me, it was a click at the starter. I removed the starter and gave it the BFH treatment which is banging on it with a hammer. Whatever was stuck came unstuck and it has been working ever since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As far as my electrical issue - hooked up the center console gauges and none of them work. Well, except for the clock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Any idea what one main thing might be keeping all the gauges and blinkers and dash lights from working? As an added note, the hazard lights work but does not show on the indicator on the tach.

+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 10 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #19

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(dvtorr @ Oct 10 2010, 02:36 PM) *
For me, it was a click at the starter. I removed the starter and gave it the BFH treatment which is banging on it with a hammer. Whatever was stuck came unstuck and it has been working ever since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As far as my electrical issue - hooked up the center console gauges and none of them work. Well, except for the clock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Any idea what one main thing might be keeping all the gauges and blinkers and dash lights from working? As an added note, the hazard lights work but does not show on the indicator on the tach.

Back up a step. You said you swapped out the relay board. Did the gauges and such work before or after you swapped board?
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 12:57 PM
Post #20

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 10 2010, 02:46 PM) *

Back up a step. You said you swapped out the relay board. Did the gauges and such work before or after you swapped board?
Yeah, have swapped out several boards - I have 4 of them. Same result for all. When I first installed a battery, everything seemed to work OK. For a while, when I turned the blinkers on, just a bzzzzz and no blinking. Now, nothing at all. Not sure if the instrument lights (the ones that illuminate) ever worked. I do know the blinker indicator worked at one time and now doesn't.
For whatever reason, the fuel pump is connected to the (+) on the coil. Also, the tach wire and a couple others (a blue and a brown w/white stripe) from the main harness to the relay board are cut. Don't know why the wires were cut. I have taped them back together.
Looks like I need to invest in some testing equipment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 06:42 PM