Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Creamsicle Project, Still tinkering... now it's running!
poorsche914
post Sep 6 2010, 05:57 PM
Post #1

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I finally decided to tackle getting my LE started and thought the long Labor Day weekend would be the perfect time. I had already replaced the fuel tank and lines up front and had sourced '74 FI parts and bought a new Optima battery. The final piece to the puzzle was a working fuel pump which I got a couple weeks ago.

So this weekend I installed the pump and put power to it. It ran but wasn't pumping fuel up to the engine. I heard gurgling from the tank. Low fuel level. So I added more gas and tried again. Success! Fuel was now being pumped to the fuel rail but there were several leaks. Took care of these and cranked it. Nothing. Pulled two injectors and saw they were not firing. Swapped out harnesses and more of the same. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I have both a single progressive and dual 40s. I seriously contemplated pulling the FI and installing the single Weber after a rebuild just to get the car running. After chatting with mipstein I had a few things I thought I should try first. I put power to each injector and they all fired so that took bad injectors out of the equation. I looked over pbanders d-jet page for clues. Somewhere along the way I realized the ECU was not getting power and perhaps the relay board was suspect. Having two extra boards, I picked one, transferred relays, etc and plugged it into the 914's harnesses. Turned the key, let fuel pressure build, cranked it and she fired right up!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)

Vacuum lines, etc aren't hooked up so it revved high before I turned it off. Next step is to hook up all the vac lines (and install new shift bushings, install accel pedal, etc, etc) Goal is to have it on the road for MUSR11 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
hot_shoe914
post Oct 10 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #21

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

I know why you can't get it fixed. Because you are in here playing on the damned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif) instead of being outside working on the dang car! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Now quit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) around and go (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) the blasted thing!
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #22

T4 Supercharged

I currently have no way to do electrical tests. With so much not working it has to be a common feed or relay or something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) just gotta figure it out ( sent from my android ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
dvtorr
post Oct 10 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 12,138

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(dvtorr @ Oct 10 2010, 02:36 PM) *
is it a click or more like a clunk sounds? Same thing happened to me and Idk if my motor is seized up or not. Right now Im stuck on this.. Figuring out the problem isnt easy! what is a BFH treatment for the starter?
For me, it was a click at the starter. I removed the starter and gave it the BFH treatment which is banging on it with a hammer. Whatever was stuck came unstuck and it has been working ever since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

As far as my electrical issue - hooked up the center console gauges and none of them work. Well, except for the clock (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Any idea what one main thing might be keeping all the gauges and blinkers and dash lights from working? As an added note, the hazard lights work but does not show on the indicator on the tach.

Did you ever try to push start your car before you gave it the BFH treatment?
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 10 2010, 01:29 PM
Post #24

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 02:12 PM) *

I currently have no way to do electrical tests. With so much not working it has to be a common feed or relay or something (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) just gotta figure it out ( sent from my android ) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Make a test light. All you need is a small lightbulb, an ice pick, some tape, elctrical wire and an alligator clip.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #25

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(dvtorr @ Oct 10 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Did you ever try to push start your car before you gave it the BFH treatment?
No, never tried that since there was a car parked in front of the 914.

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

After mulling this over and searching the forums for hints, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/head_hurts_kr.gif) I still don't know why the gauges, wipers, turn signals, etc do not work.
The car starts and runs but the gauges do not work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
Hazard switch works but the indicator on the tach does not blink.
The turn signals do not work. The wipers do not work. The A/C fan does not work. The fuel gauge & low fuel light do not work.
These all worked when I first put a battery in the car a few months ago.
For a period of time recently, I noticed when I activated the turn signals, they only caused a bzzzzz noise and no indicator light.
I have not messed with the wiring beyond replacing the FI harness and the relay board. Swapped out four different boards.

Could the ignition switch be faulty?

Thanks for any suggestions, etc.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 10 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #27

on ramp passer

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 07:53 PM) *

After mulling this over and searching the forums for hints, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/head_hurts_kr.gif) I still don't know why the gauges, wipers, turn signals, etc do not work.
The car starts and runs but the gauges do not work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
Hazard switch works but the indicator on the tach does not blink.
The turn signals do not work. The wipers do not work. The A/C fan does not work. The fuel gauge & low fuel light do not work.
These all worked when I first put a battery in the car a few months ago.
For a period of time recently, I noticed when I activated the turn signals, they only caused a bzzzzz noise and no indicator light.
I have not messed with the wiring beyond replacing the FI harness and the relay board. Swapped out four different boards.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Oct 10 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #28

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

Check all the large guage wires, four, that connect to the large battery cable on the positive battery terminal. Those four power all the guages, fuse panel, ect. Make sure they have a good solid connection to the battery. One or so may have a bad connector end.....check them one by one.....remove from battery connection and check....
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 10 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #29

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Oct 10 2010, 08:53 PM) *

It could be the ignition switch but then you don't want to start changing parts without testing them.

Electrical problems can be cured many times by cleaning the contacts on the fuses, checking, cleaning and tightening the ground points.

The number of times you will have electrical problems is somewhat proportional to how long you own your 914.

I suggest buying a volt-ohm-meter. You will need it over and over again with your 914.

There have been times with my 914 and my 911 where I carried my volt meter with me while diagnosing intermittent problems.

For us to help you, many times we will need to check voltages or resistance at different places.

You can find them at Home Depot, Radio Shack, Frys, any electrical supply store for anywhere from $10 to $200+. $25 to $50 will buy you a usable VOM.

Buy one or borrow one and you can start checking voltages in different places. It's a lot easier than guessing.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 10 2010, 08:23 PM
Post #30

T4 Supercharged

jt - will check those wires tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

spoke - I plan on buying a volt/ohm meter soon. The car has been sitting for probably 20 years since it operated correctly. I have noticed some cut wires. Who knows what all the PO did to this car. Looks like I may have to give up on having it roadworthy by MUSR and instead plan on going through the electrical and other systems in the coming months.

I just wanna (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 11 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #31

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Bring it to MUSR and I will take a look at it for you. I am fairly good with electrical stuff.....

We can have a tech session on it.

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 11 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #32

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 11 2010, 01:07 PM) *

Bring it to MUSR and I will take a look at it for you. I am fairly good with electrical stuff.....

We can have a tech session on it.
That would be awesome. Not sure I will have the time to get it roadworthy, though. Little things keep rearing their ugly heads.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2010, 09:32 AM
Post #33

T4 Supercharged

Long story short, I had swapped out the fuel pump because I thought the old one was leaking. Haven't been able to get it running since the swap but did find a split fuel line (cause of the leak).
This morning, swapped the original pump back in and it fired right up but now... when I turn the key OFF the engine keeps running!!! The fuel pump is hot wired to the coil (PO) so I pull that and it quits. Plug it back on and the pump doesn't run until I turn the key. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
Any ideas what may be causing this?
+Quote Post
type47
post Oct 12 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #34

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just a guess, but your turn signal/emergency flasher that doesn't work the indicator lights and the "buzzing" sounds like the flasher relay/unit doesn't work. I'd also like to know why the engine keeps running after the key is turned off.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #35

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(type47 @ Oct 12 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Just a guess, but your turn signal/emergency flasher that doesn't work the indicator lights and the "buzzing" sounds like the flasher relay/unit doesn't work. I'd also like to know why the engine keeps running after the key is turned off.

OK, I am officially declaring my 914 will not be at MUSR. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Started it, drove it up and down the driveway a couple times, turned it off. Now it won't start. Fuel pump is intermittent (powered off the coil) when key is ON. Sounds like bzzt bzzt bzzt.
I need to go through the electrical system and find out what is going on. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
Looks like I will be bumming a ride with someone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
At least I can take a ton of pictures while riding shotgun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Oct 12 2010, 09:55 AM
Post #36

Trailer it down if you can....as Clay said...there will be enough brain power to fix your problems...and enough jack stands.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #37

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 12 2010, 11:55 AM) *

Trailer it down if you can....as Clay said...there will be enough brain power to fix your problems...and enough jack stands.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I was hoping to at least have it running and roadworthy to get it there for others to look at.
Unfortunately, no trailer or vehicle to pull it with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Oct 12 2010, 10:27 AM
Post #38

How far away are you from Knoxville/Vonore???
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #39

T4 Supercharged

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Oct 12 2010, 12:27 PM) *

How far away are you from Knoxville/Vonore???

About 60 miles (an hour and a half drive one way) I am in Sevierville.
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Oct 12 2010, 02:41 PM
Post #40

T4 Supercharged

Started swapping out relays on the board to see what would happen. Not sure if that was it or not but it did start up and ran for a couple minutes several different times. But each time the fuel pump seemed to get weaker and weaker until it finally died (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:49 AM