Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cutting out trunk, bracing, street legal?
pete
post Sep 6 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

I want to cut out the rear trunk pans and support between the rear shock towers to make more room for a Renegade SBC conversion and make things more accessible. I would weld in permanent tubular cross bracing. This is going to be a street car. Does anyone know if I am going to run into inspection problems in NJ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NC_Colfax
post Sep 6 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,982
Region Association: South East States

Just don't open the trunk and show them......

If you are worried about issues don't do it or see what everybody else has done.

I'm sure there are a few SBC conversion cars on here that can show you ways around or more helpful way to access parts.
OR
You could do your tube work and cover it with .080 aluminum sheet with quarter turn fastners for access panels.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 6 2010, 07:13 PM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

tell them to go pound sand, they have no damn bussiness inspecting YOUR car. that is so bullshit. What are these guys anyway, Nazi's???? why do they need to inspect your trunk, that is just crazy , none of their damn bussiness.

if they get pissy tell them the trunk lock is broke.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 6 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

You only need to notch out for the distributor. I have a full trunk with my SBC and have no access problems. The only thing to acces easyer would be the starter. I don't think you should cut it all out. I would suggest adding a shock tower brace.

It's your car, do what you want. I think it is not needed at all and will make the rear of the car flimsy unless you go overboard with bracing.

Mine has cross bracing and my ECU and wiring. I can also store my targa inside still. Things to consider brfore cutting up a street car.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 6 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Here is a better pic of what you need for the trunk. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-2-1094107806.jpg)

Bracing the shock towers TO the trani pick up point is a good idea. If you cutout the whole firewall, brace the shock towers
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 6 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #6

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

No need to butcher your trunk unless you're going with some crazy hp.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1241931021.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-4253-1241931155.jpg)
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 6 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #7

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

IME, there's no law covering what you want to do. Why would "they" care? The laws you need to care about are the emissions statutes. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 7 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 6 2010, 09:13 PM) *

tell them to go pound sand, they have no damn bussiness inspecting YOUR car. that is so bullshit. What are these guys anyway, Nazi's???? why do they need to inspect your trunk, that is just crazy , none of their damn bussiness.

I had to reply here. I like your way of thinking. Bastards failed my 86 GMC Pick up because it had a quarter sized rust hole in the rear qtr panel and the other one was rusty too. I had to cut them off and weld in new ones just to get it through inspection.
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 7 2010, 06:40 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2010, 11:48 PM) *

IME, there's no law covering what you want to do. Why would "they" care? The laws you need to care about are the emissions statutes. The Cap'n

NJ probably isn't as bad as some other states but as mentioned before they failed me on little rust on my rear qtr panels, 86 GMC 3/4 ton. I had to weld in new ones to get through inspection. I only use it for an occasional trip to the dump or garden center. What they didn't notice is the frame is about to rust in half! Seems they are more concerned about appearance of the vehicle then real safety.
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 7 2010, 06:42 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 6 2010, 09:57 PM) *

You only need to notch out for the distributor. I have a full trunk with my SBC and have no access problems. The only thing to acces easyer would be the starter. I don't think you should cut it all out. I would suggest adding a shock tower brace.

It's your car, do what you want. I think it is not needed at all and will make the rear of the car flimsy unless you go overboard with bracing.

Mine has cross bracing and my ECU and wiring. I can also store my targa inside still. Things to consider brfore cutting up a street car.

Attached Image

Hey Mike, this looks like a really nice set up. Do you have better pics you can share?
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 7 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 7 2010, 05:27 AM) *

I had to reply here. I like your way of thinking. Bastards failed my 86 GMC Pick up because it had a quarter sized rust hole in the rear qtr panel and the other one was rusty too. I had to cut them off and weld in new ones just to get it through inspection.

what the heck, is new jersey nazi germany???? the neat police at it again? they care about looks???? I know they have a-hole strict appearnace laws in germany (which is likely designed to get older cars crushed inorder to support more new car sales and support the big bussiness and automotive labour unions who happen to be big political 'donors" (bribes is more like it)
it makes me sick that these nazi's forced you to fix a body rust hole. hell fuck them, fix the rust hole and paint the truck phycodellic rattle can with ten different colors. hell will they get all pissy if you place one of them sticker bullet holes on your panels? maybe paint on the truck "wanted dead or alive New Jersy nazi motor vehicle officals for acting like nazi's".

you need to elect politicans to repeal this stupid nazi law. these guys need to be tared and feathered. I am surprised they dont have death warrents issued on them.

yes I could understand the want to inspect for working lights, or worn out tires , but cosmetics, that is so BS the economy is tanked, folks are out of work and these over paid pension promised nazi sate employees are forcing folks to spend money needlessly to make there vehicles look pretty, the govenrment is out of control.
do poor folks really have to decide if they pay rent and buy food verses having to pay for their car body work done under threat of registration denial.

this is class warfare, them governemnt officals probalby expect you all to take public transit anyway, by making cars unaffordable for the common man. gawd damn them to hell, bastards!
+Quote Post
strawman
post Sep 7 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #12

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 7 2010, 08:31 AM) *

this is class warfare, them governemnt officals probalby expect you all to take public transit anyway, by making cars unaffordable for the common man. gawd damn them to hell, bastards!

I am a "government official" that has worked in public transit for the past 25 years in both the private and public sectors, and I don't expect (nor, frankly, want) you to ride our buses. I'd rather you walked...

Am I overpaid? No. Do I expect to have a pension when I retire at 65? Yes, after dedicating the better part of my life to improving our community. Is my anticipated retirement excessive? No. In fact, I'm glad I contributed so much of my salary while in the private side into my 401(k) accounts -- which have shrunk incredibly over the past few years, but not due to the malfeasance of public officials. No, that was caused by the greedy bastards in the private banking sector.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- take your vitriol to the Sandbox...
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 7 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(strawman @ Sep 7 2010, 11:45 AM) *

I am a "government official" that has worked in public transit for the past 25 years in both the private and public sectors, and I don't expect (nor, frankly, want) you to ride our buses. I'd rather you walked...

Am I overpaid? No. Do I expect to have a pension when I retire at 65? Yes, after dedicating the better part of my life to improving our community. Is my anticipated retirement excessive? No. In fact, I'm glad I contributed so much of my salary while in the private side into my 401(k) accounts -- which have shrunk incredibly over the past few years, but not due to the malfeasance of public officials. No, that was caused by the greedy bastards in the private banking sector.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- take your vitriol to the Sandbox...

Yikes! Talk about getting off on a tangent. Sorry about that. I read a thread on here regarding adding tubular supports and whomever started the thread was concerned that their car wouldn't pass inspection. I was wondering if anyone had trouble in NJ getting a SBC conversion through inspection.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 7 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #14

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 7 2010, 05:42 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 6 2010, 09:57 PM) *

Hey Mike, this looks like a really nice set up. Do you have better pics you can share?

I will try to post some later today.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 7 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I agree 1000%
please stop taking these threads off topic and preaching
we all have heard your rants enough
please take it somewhere else!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 7 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

what the heck, is new jersey nazi germany???? the neat police at it again? they care about looks???? I know they have a-hole strict appearnace laws in germany (which is likely designed to get older cars crushed inorder to support more new car sales and support the big bussiness and automotive labour unions who happen to be big political 'donors" (bribes is more like it)
it makes me sick that these nazi's forced you to fix a body rust hole. hell fuck them, fix the rust hole and paint the truck phycodellic rattle can with ten different colors. hell will they get all pissy if you place one of them sticker bullet holes on your panels? maybe paint on the truck "wanted dead or alive New Jersy nazi motor vehicle officals for acting like nazi's".

you need to elect politicans to repeal this stupid nazi law. these guys need to be tared and feathered. I am surprised they dont have death warrents issued on them.

yes I could understand the want to inspect for working lights, or worn out tires , but cosmetics, that is so BS the economy is tanked, folks are out of work and these over paid pension promised nazi sate employees are forcing folks to spend money needlessly to make there vehicles look pretty, the govenrment is out of control.
do poor folks really have to decide if they pay rent and buy food verses having to pay for their car body work done under threat of registration denial.

Chill the FUCH out. I've been back east, have you ? You really want that old rusted POS dropping parts off the car in front of you? Or have some major failure from rust causing a huge accident? Thats what they look for, not just lights and horn like they used to do in CA.
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Sep 7 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #17

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

So you turn a trunk into engine compartment? I would think that the rear trunk turned into the engine compartment as you plan to do, would not violate any state laws.

BTW, I checked with my PA state inspection mechanic about the fender cut-out shown below, he said that would pass PA inspection since it had no sharp edges nor was rusted out to the interior. Definitely surprised me on that one.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 7 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #18

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 7 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Chill the FUCH out. I've been back east, have you ? You really want that old rusted POS dropping parts off the car in front of you? Or have some major failure from rust causing a huge accident? Thats what they look for, not just lights and horn like they used to do in CA.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
As a guy living in PA, I have gotten to see what winter salt roads will do to a car. the parts truck that I have for my jeep has spent all its years here, and it is swiss cheese. And yet, it ran like a top. If there were no inspections, someone would be driving it - and lots of other cars in worse condition. It is not a road worthy car.

Folks living in Cali and Arizona have no idea what rust is here in the rust belt.

Zach
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 7 2010, 12:15 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 7 2010, 09:47 AM) *

well maybe you ought to fuching re-read the post, the poster said the rust hole was only in the sheet metal panel, that is not a structural issue. I dont see how fixing a "quarter sized hole" in the panel will prevent stuff from falling off and causing accidents.

and yes I have been back east. so chill the fuch out.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 7 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 6 2010, 06:13 PM) *

Oh really?
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:07 PM