Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Cutting out trunk, bracing, street legal?
pete
post Sep 6 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

I want to cut out the rear trunk pans and support between the rear shock towers to make more room for a Renegade SBC conversion and make things more accessible. I would weld in permanent tubular cross bracing. This is going to be a street car. Does anyone know if I am going to run into inspection problems in NJ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
SirAndy
post Sep 7 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #21

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 7 2010, 11:15 AM) *
well maybe you ought to fuching re-read the post

You just earned yourself a 5 Day timeout ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
You can still log-in, check PMs and read threads, but no posting for 5 days.

Take your Nazi bullshit to the sandbox, or better yet, keep it to yourself ...

And yes, i know what you're calling me right now.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
markb
post Sep 7 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #22

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 7 2010, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(realred914 @ Sep 7 2010, 11:15 AM) *
well maybe you ought to fuching re-read the post

You just earned yourself a 5 Day timeout ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
You can still log-in, check PMs and read threads, but no posting for 5 days.

Take your Nazi bullshit to the sandbox, or better yet, keep it to yourself ...

And yes, i know what you're calling me right now.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Andy

Thank you Andy!
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 7 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. I was fast loosing interest.

On notching the trunk for the sbc if you use the LT1-4 it doesn't have a distributor on the top and the cam driven waterpump might clear also.

On my suby conversion It's a lot of extra work but I would like to make the floor in front of the tranny support all the way up to and including the firewall unbolt. Maybe just have a rectangular tube inbetween the towers for support at the top of the towers and at the lower front at the floor. I also want a motor tranny cradle that goes from a bulkhead mount to a rearfirewall mount to the tranny support that will split at the bellhousing to remove the tranny only.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Sep 7 2010, 09:56 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Thanks Andy
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 16 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #25

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

i want to ask any admin why is calling some over bearing government as nazi like so bad, when another poster (Pete) calls them "bastards'. is the word "nazi" banned, but the 'bastards" is ok for discribing the same folks?

yet Dr 914 on another thread is using the words 'Cheap Jap Crap" to discribe japanese products yet sir andy takes no action on that? (I asked sir andy about it via PM, he told me i just dont get it, which is why I asked him, i dont get it, how "nazi" is not allowed but "jap' and "bastard" is????)

i'd like some clarification of the rules so i can stay within the rules and not have problems in the future with the rules

i kindly ask for any admin to please reply to these questions regarding nazi, bastards and jap.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

attached below is from Dr 914's post:

"Sep 13 2010, 03:25 PM Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,418

The AA piston and cylinder kits as scotty says are a crap shoot but so cheap that they can be used and taken the extra time to match up and measure. We use them here for cheap engine rebuilds and have not had a problem after carefully fitting weighing and mic ing them. NPR were the best made in Japan but long discontinued. As an amusing anecdote, after the war my dad called the stuff from Japan cheap jap crap!!! Then japan got better and better, until he actually PREFERRED products from Japan (except cars!!!!!)
Eventually the Chinese will be there.
Please note that the AA stuff is not ours!!!!!'

+Quote Post
d914
post Sep 16 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904
Region Association: South East States

one last post out of context and two total pc stuff will not happen or lots of us would leave.... The "N" word in either case can probably be retired without too much objection..

Im an old jersey guy and can be totally non pc....I do my best to keep it controlled.. answer the mans question or go to the sand box!!!

I'm going back to looking for all my nuts and bolts to put my car back togeather...! Ta taa....
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 16 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(d914 @ Sep 16 2010, 10:28 AM) *

one last post out of context and two total pc stuff will not happen or lots of us would leave.... The "N" word in either case can probably be retired without too much objection..

Im an old jersey guy and can be totally non pc....I do my best to keep it controlled.. answer the mans question or go to the sand box!!!

I'm going back to looking for all my nuts and bolts to put my car back togeather...! Ta taa....

thats what I need to figure out. The 'n' word, now we cant even say that can we??? is that the N word Nazi, or the N word N%^ger??? is Jap the new J word (seems it is aceptable to the admin) or not? and then we have the B word "bastard', used in the same vane as the N word Nazi, yet it is acceptable???? or at least sir andy is not letting on if it is accpetable or not.

that begs to ask, if n word (nazi) is bad, why would B word or J word not be bad also???? Why is N word (nazi) so harsly condemned by admin, yet B word and J word are seemingly ok?
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 16 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #28

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

The Nazi's brutally murdered over 1 million people in an attempt at ethnic cleansing. Many people are very sensitive to this. There are even groups of people that deny this ever happened. Perhaps this is the reason?
+Quote Post
d914
post Sep 16 2010, 12:55 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

again , answer the mans question or go to the sand box!!!

Im sure this can be cleared up in a better forum....even I feel this thread has gone far a field....

and for the record...no trunk= race car......modified trunk for street car.... just one man's opinion
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 16 2010, 01:11 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 16 2010, 11:44 AM) *

The Nazi's brutally murdered over 1 million people in an attempt at ethnic cleansing. Many people are very sensitive to this. There are even groups of people that deny this ever happened. Perhaps this is the reason?

well that is a good theory but what of calling the japanese japs? does the admin believe that is ok, i thought a ethnic or racial insult is specifically banned, and is grounds for banning the person that wrote it? (not that i want Dr 914 banned)

or the word bastard, lots of bastards in the world that may not like that term.

nazis may have killed millions but so have the commies (amoung others) is that word banned to? the new C word is commie? I say I dont buy that logic. rules should be logical.
+Quote Post
markb
post Sep 16 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #31

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

red, for me it's your constant negativity and government slamming. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, just keep the negative comments to yourself.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Sep 16 2010, 02:02 PM
Post #32

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(strawman @ Sep 7 2010, 11:45 AM) *

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- take your vitriol to the Sandbox...

Actually, political rants are not welcome there either.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 16 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #33

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

My take is pretty simple. If the car is safe (will protect me and my passenger) and has all of the features needed to make it visible (as far as possible) and have the ability to transmit the driver's intentions to other drivers it should be "street legal".

Whether or not those features are used by any one driver is his/her responsibility as with any car bought off of a showroom floor.

Anything else is lagnaippe... cajun for "a little something extra". An internal trunk doesn't make the car any more visible but adds a certain amount of strength.

If removing it weakens the car then other structure should be added by the builder to stiffen it back to at least stock strength. Otherwise the safety of the driver and any passenger would be compromised... ain't no free lunch.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 16 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

please close this thread.

and as a car guy I apologize to the original person that started this thread
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 16 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(markb @ Sep 16 2010, 12:25 PM) *

red, for me it's your constant negativity and government slamming. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, just keep the negative comments to yourself.

then you would also say the same to pete about him calling the authorities the "B word" for forcing him to repair his truck, the same authorities I called the "four letter N word with the Z in it" like for doing that to his truck?

This entire post was started over a question of what the authorites will force someone to do. If you only want positve comments on the authorites then I guess you need to look up a government website???
Some folks on this thread seemed to be shocked and mad at the thought of the inspectors looKing at a trunk floor, others gave the opinion that the authorities should inspect such things and take the folks cars off the road, some folks find this very offensive others do not, so you will get both negative and postive attitudes in a thread regarding authorities and their powers.

Would you say to the folks that have expressed support for the authorities inspections on this thread, that you don't want them to post positve comments about the authorties . if not would that not be kind of pro-authoritarian on your part to ask that pro-liberty comments be surpressed while pro authoritarian comments be be allowed?

Since Pete was not called out for his negitive to the authority "B word" comment And I was specifically called out for the "four letter N word with the Z in it", I dont think it was becuase of my pro-liberty (negative authority) views. but then again if the Four letter N word with the Z in it is bad why is the three letter J word or the B word allowed?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

i
+Quote Post
d914
post Sep 16 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

dude...give it a rest.....one word "decaf" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 17 2010, 06:17 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 16 2010, 04:10 PM) *

please close this thread.

and as a car guy I apologize to the original person that started this thread

I was wondering, is there a way to delete this thread? It's just fodder at this point.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 17 2010, 08:46 AM
Post #38

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

I think it would be very cool if a removable trunk pan coule be fitted. Maybe with some dzus (did I spell it right?) fasteners. Then you can have the best of both worlds. You would need some extra bracing, but the end result would be cool.
+Quote Post
pcar916
post Sep 17 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #39

Is that a Lola?

Member No.: 4,188

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 17 2010, 06:46 AM) *

I think it would be very cool if a removable trunk pan coule be fitted. Maybe with some dzus (did I spell it right?) fasteners. Then you can have the best of both worlds. You would need some extra bracing, but the end result would be cool.

Yep, you can. In addition you don't have to stick to the factory trunk profile. If the body-strength has been maintained (or improved) you can make pockets everywhere for street use. Like deeper on the sides of the transaxle.

Besides sealing against rain and surface water splashed up from the road, the trunk poses only the radiant-heat issue from the exhaust, engine and transaxle. That can be addressed by some really good insulation work. You don't want to block the cooling air from those parts either, or trap exhaust heat and dump it into your tranny.

I've considered doing just that in my front trunk, which is filled with... well, look at my avatar. There is still plenty of room over my feet where the stock tank was to make a removable storage compartment and hang it from the crossmember. Or I can install another "reserve" fuel cell from there and push up my 15 gallons to 20 or 25. Oh yeah.

Design and fabrication is a neat process and especially good when the entire car is taken into account, rather than one system at a time.
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Sep 19 2010, 01:34 PM
Post #40

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

Attached ImageAttached Image
QUOTE(pete @ Sep 6 2010, 05:57 PM) *

I want to cut out the rear trunk pans and support between the rear shock towers to make more room for a Renegade SBC conversion and make things more accessible. I would weld in permanent tubular cross bracing. This is going to be a street car. Does anyone know if I am going to run into inspection problems in NJ?

Hey Pete,

I'm in CA, so we don't have to worry about rust as much as the east. However,
I take the view that if they can't see it, it's fine. Do you have to take the car through a state approved inspection?

Regardless, I writing laws, I would expect the wording to be something like " vehcle must be structurally sound and in not danger of failure during use." Unless
your law states specifically that there can be "No modification" of structure, then you are good to go.

FYI: check out how much of the trunk I've cut out on my 383 street/track car.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 09:42 AM