Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SBC 350 exhaust question, Stock/custom??
pete
post Sep 8 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

I have a Renegade SBC 350 with shorty headers I will soon be installing in my 914. Looking at several threads/pics of this conversion it looks like almost all pipes from the header to the muffler loop under the axles. Is there a stock part number for these curved pipe sections (steel) or are they all basically custom?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 8 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

if you can fab it by your self you could order some sections and cut and weld it up your self.... but i'm thinking it's prolly best if you have an exhuast shop do it for you.
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 8 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #3

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada

oh and you'll find most of the stuff for the v8 at summit or jegs. nothing will be a stock part number.... your building a "hotrod" all most every thing will be hot rod parts or fabricated by you or renegade or kenedy.
+Quote Post
Phoenix-MN
post Sep 8 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,590

I have "shorty" headers and ran the exhaust over the axles. I mocked-up/welded what I needed and sent the parts to HeartThrob Exhaust and had them mandrel form the pipes.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Sep 8 2010, 12:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I would just buy mandrel bent elbows and some straight tubing and make it out of stainless steel and be done with it.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 8 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #6

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 8 2010, 09:47 AM) *

I have a Renegade SBC 350 with shorty headers I will soon be installing in my 914. Looking at several threads/pics of this conversion it looks like almost all pipes from the header to the muffler loop under the axles. Is there a stock part number for these curved pipe sections (steel) or are they all basically custom?

I have a Renegade exhaust. Renegade sells the curved pipes that go over the axles. Otherwise it is a custom job. There is nothing wrong with pipes going under axles. You just need clearance from the axles and the ground.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 8 2010, 12:27 PM
Post #7

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I have the shorty headers, You have to watch out for the shift rod.

If you can, Go for some short tube truck headers (not the shorty's, they actually curve up I believe which is perfect for the 914).

Then go to a couple muffler shops and ask them how much. Get some magnaflows, go for 2.5" and you'll be happy! I had mine done years ago for 300 including the mufflers. You should be able to get it done for pretty close to that in this economy.
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 8 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 8 2010, 02:04 PM) *

I would just buy mandrel bent elbows and some straight tubing and make it out of stainless steel and be done with it.

Thanks for the advise. I was probably going to go the custom route. I own a fastener packaging company and my customers always make us "prebag" stainless fasteners to keep them separate from the Low carbon steel fasteners. They tell me there is a galvanic reaction between the two metals. Would this me a problem using stainless tubes/flanges mated to my steel header flanges?
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 8 2010, 01:04 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 8 2010, 02:27 PM) *

I have the shorty headers, You have to watch out for the shift rod.

If you can, Go for some short tube truck headers (not the shorty's, they actually curve up I believe which is perfect for the 914).

Then go to a couple muffler shops and ask them how much. Get some magnaflows, go for 2.5" and you'll be happy! I had mine done years ago for 300 including the mufflers. You should be able to get it done for pretty close to that in this economy.

The headers I have do curve upwards slightly. I just looked at Renegades website. My headers look like their headers. I bought the engine on ebay. So I'm not sure where everything came from.
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 8 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #10

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 8 2010, 12:01 PM) *

QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 8 2010, 02:04 PM) *

Thanks for the advise. I was probably going to go the custom route. I own a fastener packaging company and my customers always make us "prebag" stainless fasteners to keep them separate from the Low carbon steel fasteners. They tell me there is a galvanic reaction between the two metals. Would this me a problem using stainless tubes/flanges mated to my steel header flanges?

won't be a big deal 'cause there will be a gasket between them. spend the extra money on ceramic coated headers.
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 8 2010, 01:30 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Though not an SBC, I used stainless mandrel bends and routed the exhaust over the axles. Not sure which muffler shops can weld stainless (perhaps these days they all can), but it's a pretty simple task for a decent shop.

There are quite a lot of V8 exhaust system pictures on this site if you search around. I seem to recall a dual inlet/dual outlet Camaro muffler that fits in the original location that looked real nice.

Andys

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 8 2010, 02:25 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(andys @ Sep 8 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Though not an SBC, I used stainless mandrel bends and routed the exhaust over the axles. Not sure which muffler shops can weld stainless (perhaps these days they all can), but it's a pretty simple task for a decent shop.

There are quite a lot of V8 exhaust system pictures on this site if you search around. I seem to recall a dual inlet/dual outlet Camaro muffler that fits in the original location that looked real nice.

Andys

Andy, thanks for the pic. It looks like you have two of the same pieces welded together on each side.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Sep 8 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #13

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 8 2010, 01:25 PM) *

QUOTE(andys @ Sep 8 2010, 03:30 PM) *

Andys

Andy, thanks for the pic. It looks like you have two of the same pieces welded together on each side.

That is exactly what the Renegade exhaust tube looks like. Without the weld in the middle.
+Quote Post
type47fan
post Sep 8 2010, 11:52 PM
Post #14

It Looks Better In Person. . .

Member No.: 1,170
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(andys @ Sep 8 2010, 11:30 AM) *

I seem to recall a dual inlet/dual outlet Camaro muffler that fits in the original location that looked real nice.

Andys

Like this from skline's V8 Chalon project a few years back. . . .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 9 2010, 07:07 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 AM) *

I seem to recall a dual inlet/dual outlet Camaro muffler that fits in the original location that looked real nice.

Andys

Ha! That's pretty wild looking.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Sep 9 2010, 07:52 AM
Post #16

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

One major dis-advandtage of not going over the axles is it really limits the travel of the half shafts when you need to remove/work on something. If I ran mine under the axle like the above, I would at least make it where you could pull just one side. Very clean looking , just not as practical.
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 9 2010, 09:33 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(pete @ Sep 9 2010, 06:07 AM) *

QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 AM) *

Andys

Ha! That's pretty wild looking.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of; puts the muffler where it ought to be. BTW, I too am a proponent of running the pipes over the axles.

Andys
+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Mar 1 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #18

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 8 2010, 10:52 PM) *

Andys

Is there any way of getting the specs for this muffler? My local muffler guy wants to install a Magnaflow muffler (dual in / dual out). I went to Magnaflow's website and they have a large selection of dual in dual out mufflers... at different price points. If I can get the dimensions of the muffler pictured (make and model too), that would help alot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Mar 3 2011, 09:30 PM
Post #19

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125
Region Association: Northern California

The nice thing about the dual in dual out magnaflow, is you are essentially putting an "X" pipe in your exhaust system that balances the exhaust pressure and helps to lower drone.

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Mar 1 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Andys

Is there any way of getting the specs for this muffler? My local muffler guy wants to install a Magnaflow muffler (dual in / dual out). I went to Magnaflow's website and they have a large selection of dual in dual out mufflers... at different price points. If I can get the dimensions of the muffler pictured (make and model too), that would help alot! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
BRAVE_HELIOS
post Mar 4 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #20

"Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens"

Member No.: 6,920

That's the main reason why I want to go that route, plus I've read that it sounds pretty good too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Mar 3 2011, 08:30 PM) *

The nice thing about the dual in dual out magnaflow, is you are essentially putting an "X" pipe in your exhaust system that balances the exhaust pressure and helps to lower drone.

QUOTE(BRAVE_HELIOS @ Mar 1 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Andys

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:10 PM