Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914 Subaru EG33 engine and WRX transaxle conversion, Finally finishing up
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 18 2010, 06:08 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(strawman @ Nov 18 2010, 12:59 AM) *

Hi Bob --

Did you use the stock Suby CV boot and stretch the smaller portion over the 911 axle shaft, or did you find a boot that has the OD of the 911 axle shaft and the OD of the Suby inner CV joint housing? I can't imagine that you had the machinist turn down the OD of the 911 axle shafts to fit the Suby CV boot...

I'm getting ready to send my 911 axles off to Dutchman and would like to go with a proven design. Thanks in advance!

Geoff

I used the stock subaru rubber and it works fine on the axle. You can see it on the first page of the thread here.

Bob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
strawman
post Nov 18 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 18 2010, 04:08 AM) *

I used the stock subaru rubber and it works fine on the axle. You can see it on the first page of the thread here.

Bob

Thanks! And congrats on 1000 posts...
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 18 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #43

Got the engine out of the car now. I needed to clean up a few odds and ends. I added the AC/compressor for the AC I'm installing. I also did a little clean up on the engine. I was getting a oil leak at the camshafts. The engine was sold to me with the owner saying it had 105K miles. I pulled the heads off and this thing looks brand new. I can't get over how nice these Subaru's are.
Added a little bling too.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Nov 18 2010, 11:15 AM
Post #44

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Do you happen to have a picture of the thermostat housing on this motor?

-Britain
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Nov 18 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Nov 18 2010, 12:15 PM) *

Do you happen to have a picture of the thermostat housing on this motor?

-Britain

The EG 33 thermostat housing is the same as the 4 cyl engines. Outfront has them that exit strait out. They are also real close to the same size as a SBC V8 housing.

Bob
+Quote Post
d914
post Nov 18 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #46

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

here is th straight neck thermosat housing..

Attached Image
+Quote Post
barada
post Jan 8 2011, 04:32 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 9,613
Region Association: None

QUOTE(andys @ Sep 9 2010, 04:52 PM) *

The MR2 shifter works out well because the cable bulkheads point to the rear; the Corolla/Celica stuff points forward though they can be turned around. Another shifter to add to the list is from an 80's-90's Mitsubishi. Whatever shifter you use, it may require translation to get the right direction of movement. I buy my cables from Control Cables, Inc. (Tuthill distributor) in SoCal. They'll make up any cable length, any end, any bulkhead all by phone and a credit card. McMaster-Carr can do it too, but it takes longer and they can't give you any technical advice.

Andys

Bob your car has turned out well. You have me really thinking about swapping engines and building the 914 into something fun. Not sure if you remember or not but you bought some 16x7's from me.

Phillip
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 8 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #48

Sure do and the wheels worked out great. I have a friend in Atlanta that deals with Subarus and can get you a engine. In fact I just got a EZ30 from him this week.
I don't live but 15 miles from where we meet at for the wheels. Stop by sometime.

Bob
+Quote Post
barada
post Jan 8 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 8 2011, 08:25 PM) *

Sure do and the wheels worked out great. I have a friend in Atlanta that deals with Subarus and can get you a engine. In fact I just got a EZ30 from him this week.
I don't live but 15 miles from where we meet at for the wheels. Stop by sometime.

Bob

My office is downtown now, so I am not in Athens much any more. Woudl love to stop by sometime and check it out.
+Quote Post
KELTY360
post Jan 8 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #50

914 Neferati

Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 18 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Got the engine out of the car now. I needed to clean up a few odds and ends. I added the AC/compressor for the AC I'm installing. I also did a little clean up on the engine. I was getting a oil leak at the camshafts. The engine was sold to me with the owner saying it had 105K miles. I pulled the heads off and this thing looks brand new. I can't get over how nice these Subaru's are.

Attached Image

That intake looks awesome, nice color combination. The eg33 is such a great looking engine, unless you have to access some of the stuff that's hidden under the intake. I'm putting one in a Syncro Westy and had my intake polished.

Can't wait to hear how it works in a 914.
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Jan 10 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #51

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Nov 18 2010, 09:02 AM) *

Attached Image

Very nice engine detail. I really like this car, excellent work. How's the a/c project coming? Are you going with a stock setup or an under dash unit like this? Also, what car is the EZ30 going in?
+Quote Post
sawtooth
post Jan 10 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 9,211
Region Association: Intermountain Region

dbl post
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 10 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #53

The evaporator I'm using is a slimline underdash unit with heat and A/C . It also has a defrost where it directs air to a set of vents. I have these going to the stock 914 defrost vents.

Bob

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 10 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #54

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

You've got some serious skills my friend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I bought a '92 SVX a couple of years ago with the intention of pulling the engine, and stuffing it in my '73 (it was "pre-beefed" for a V-8 when I bought it). I got to driving it, and absolutely loved it. Real classy interior (suede and leather), a bit heavy but rides smooth as a Caddy, PLENTY of power (squats when you mash the pedal!), and kicks ass in the snow! They're also fairly rare, at least around here....nobody knows what the hell it is. So I couldn't bring myself to trash it....bought another engine for $300 complete. Getting it rebuilt as we speak. Can't wait to hear your impressions of how it is on the street! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bfrymire
post Jan 10 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #55

Salsaholic

Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 10 2011, 03:02 PM) *

The evaporator I'm using is a slimline underdash unit with heat and A/C . It also has a defrost where it directs air to a set of vents. I have these going to the stock 914 defrost vents.

Bob

Do you have any pictures with it installed in the car? THis is similar to what I want to use.

-- brett
+Quote Post
d914
post Jan 11 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #56

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

it ran the curves at the the "tail of the Dragon".. It has plenty of tq and the top end is all kinds of fun.. I drove some during tuning.. It was not running quite right then and we were still tooling down the back roads at 80 plus with no effort.. At roughty 240/230 its right in the sweet zone for an easy drive with the added hp to have fun!!
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Jan 11 2011, 09:04 AM
Post #57

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE(d914 @ Jan 11 2011, 08:30 AM) *

it ran the curves at the the "tail of the Dragon".. It has plenty of tq and the top end is all kinds of fun.. I drove some during tuning.. It was not running quite right then and we were still tooling down the back roads at 80 plus with no effort.. At roughty 240/230 its right in the sweet zone for an easy drive with the added hp to have fun!!

That's what I wanted to hear! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) If it wasn't so friggin' cold here, I'd go work on it right now! Not that it matters, but once it's "tuned", I would be interested in knowing what kind of mpg it gets. My SVX, heavy as it is, gets around 25-27 mpg (95% highway driving). I would think just cruising, a 914 with an EG33 would be in the 30's.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Jan 11 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #58

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Bob, bring that sucker up here and we can drive some nice roads in the area. Glad to see your getting it wrapped up.

+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Jan 11 2011, 09:26 AM
Post #59

Driving at the TOD event I got 27mpg on 2 tanks. This was all driving in the curves. I think I'll have no trouble getting into the 30's with highway driving.
The engine runs so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its running when I stop.

Bob
+Quote Post
barada
post Jan 11 2011, 09:42 AM
Post #60

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 11 2011, 10:26 AM) *

Driving at the TOD event I got 27mpg on 2 tanks. This was all driving in the curves. I think I'll have no trouble getting into the 30's with highway driving.
The engine runs so smooth I have to look at the tach to see if its running when I stop.

Bob

Thats funny. A far cry from my 1.8 where I try to turn down the radio when in the drive through line only to realize the engine is why I can not her the lady!
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 06:34 AM