Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Clutch tube fixes
JRust
post Jan 10 2003, 08:12 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Hey Brad you were right about my clutch tube. That was my problem. I put in 2 ubolts in the acces where the shifter is. Spaced about 10" apart. That strengthened it considerably. I'm plannng on putting a few welds on those (inside & underneath the car). For where it comes thru the firwall. Would it hold to just weld where it comes thru the firewall. Or does it need to be on the inside? Anyone? Planning on welding monday & want to make sure this will last! Thanks in advance! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Jan 10 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Honestly Jamie..

I would cut the tunnel and weld it in the factory location without the U bolts.

I would then weld the cracked portion on the firewall with a small scab plate that fits over the tube. Make sure you grind away all the "braze" that they used..otherwise your welds wont hold.

No BS: The U bolts are the cheap way out. It shows me that somebody didnt care enough about the car to fix it correctly (when I look at a car for sale with this method) Not saying it wont work.. just do it right.

B
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jan 10 2003, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's stupid to wish this on myself (or jynx the car) but I wouldn't mind doing that repair on my car. You cut the tunnel as Brad said and for me personally, I would get some welding experience in an area that doesn't show ever unless you lift the carpet. You make a couple of goofs here with the welding and it's not a major scab.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 6 2003, 02:16 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162

Guess what... I have to do this repair too. I noticed the clutch tube floating around tonight while I was working on the shifter. I looked at the bracket with a mirror and sure enough it's detached from the firewall. What a PITA.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Does anyone have any tips for cutting the access panel and welding the tube?

I suck at welding so I am going to find someone in SD that can do it or bribe a friend up north to help. If I cut a panel out I am almost tempted to leave it out and have a hole (maybe put a removable lid on) instead of some ugly bent and welded piece.

I guess I knew I was going to have this problem sooner or later. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif)
+Quote Post
GWN7
post Feb 6 2003, 02:58 AM
Post #5

King of Road Trips

Member No.: 56
Region Association: Northstar Region

Several methods for cutting into the tunnel. Sawsall, use a short blade and watch the angle. Cutoff tool (air powered) uses a thin circular blade. Air sheer, takes a strip of metal about ΒΌ” wide out for every cut you make. Easiest to use is the sawsall, but watch what you doing or you could cause more damage. Cutoff tool is nice to use but the blade can jam when you cutting through sheet steel. Makes very precise cuts
+Quote Post
chunger
post Feb 6 2003, 03:08 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 133

or, use the cutoff tool to cut off the end of a short sawzaw blade to make a "stubby" blade.

-'Chung

mabe?
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 6 2003, 10:17 AM
Post #7

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

Jamie Make the repair but do it correctly, you may try to sell me the car and I will know where to look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)
Have another meeting at your place and have Geoff bring his welding tools and all you have to do is serve pizza and beer. Sounds like a fair trade.
Craig
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 6 2003, 11:02 AM
Post #8

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

The welding part is the easy part. It is all the cutting and prep, you really want to cut the piece out so it can be welded back cleanly. Grind and sand the whole area that is going to be cut first of all tar and paint. Use a straight edge to make cut lines. I use both a sawzall and a 4" grinder w/ a cutting disc on it. Go slow cutting to make nice straight cuts and of course don't go too deep and chop up everything else that is in the tunnel. Remove the tunnel piece and then clean the clutch tube for welding. Then weld it. Pretty simple if you go slow. Then weld the tunnel piece back on. Put non flammable blankets around the floor of the car if the carpets are still in there too.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 6 2003, 11:03 AM
Post #9

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

Beeee Verrrrrry Carefull not to tag the fuel line when you are welding!!!!!! I tagged :gilloutine: it on my first 914 when I was 19 years old!!!

PPPPoooooooooffffff! Lots of smoke and fire. It was a good thing I had all of the interior out of the car.

Live and learn.

Jeff
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Feb 6 2003, 11:57 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162

I'm planning on using MIG to do the welding. I hope this reduces the risk of welding fuel lines... The fuel lines are far enough away that I think I can wrap them in wet rags and stuff to avoid any disasters.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 6 2003, 12:56 PM
Post #11

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

I assume that you would drain the gas tank, pull the front hoses so they drain and blow compressed air thru from the back so the lines are clear of gas. Once you cut a gas line and catch it on fire, sheeeeeeet what a mess! That happened at my old house when I let my son's friend fix his bus in the garage. Didn't listen to me and cut the gas line and ignited it too! Liquid fire everywhere!!!!Gas draining is like a flamethrower!! Not good and kinda hard to put out. They came a woke me up to put out the fire. Boy was I pissed!
Geoff
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Feb 6 2003, 01:42 PM
Post #12

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I did remove the tank and drained what I thought was all of the gas out, but I didn't blow it out! Big mistake but not as bad as your son!!

Very important, blow out the fuel line before beginning!

Jeff
+Quote Post
JRust
post Feb 6 2003, 07:51 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

I did use the u-bolts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) . I am going to fix it right though. I'm going to cut some of the floor pan out of my parts car. I'll weld it on from underneath. I'll try to get some pics later. It will be done well & look good. I haven't gotten to the fix cause my cars running & I've been enjoying it a bit before I sell it! Of course I'm fixing it before I sell it!
+Quote Post
Kerrys914
post Feb 6 2003, 08:57 PM
Post #14

Dear, the parts I just sold paid for that part ;)

Member No.: 16

Welding is the way to go..if that is an option.

I did added a "U-clamp" to reduce the stress on factory connection. The factory connection hasn't broken free yet and now with the clamp, I don't think it will.

I cut the excess bolt of underneeth the car to help with the looks (if anyone is looking under me car???)

And as stated above be CAREFULL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerry (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 28 2003, 04:24 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

http://www.all914.com/projects/Drobbins/cl...befix/index.htm

Fire away with the questions. I noticed somebody on PP posted some pics of his repair. I thought I would show a different method.

http://www.all914.com/projects/Drobbins/cl...befix/index.htm

B
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 28 2003, 04:31 PM
Post #16

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Did that thing you put into the end of the clutch tube used to be an intake valve? Odd looking thing... Aluminum, though, good for a heat sink!

--DD
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 28 2003, 04:35 PM
Post #17

914 Freak!

I dont know what it was used for prior to having one side knocked off. The head was too big and not allowing the clutch tube to fall back all the way against the tunnel wall when clamped. So.. I modified it.

Worked well and kept me from burning thru the tube with "weld" (ask me how I learned that ) ha ha.. bad day.

B
+Quote Post
jonwatts
post Apr 28 2003, 04:41 PM
Post #18

no rules, just wrong

Member No.: 141

I really like that fix. Tell me again (cuz I forget) why you think they break. Tunnel rust? Clutch cable failure? Bad day at the factory 30 years ago?

I'm going to check mine rather brutally when I get my car back.
+Quote Post
post Apr 28 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #19

Group:
Member No.: 0

hmm, new project to start on.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
Demick
post Apr 28 2003, 04:54 PM
Post #20

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Nice pics Brad. Good tip on the tube filler thingie.

FYI, this is probably not a good application for the auto-darkening welding shields. Anytime you are weding in a hole like that, or under a ledge or something, you have to be very careful with the auto-darkening helmets. If the solar cell that darkens the shield cannot 'see' the arc (shaded because it doesn't have a direct line of sight to the arc), then it won't darken. I learned that the hard way when I was welding my exhaust. Couldn't figure out why the helmet sometimes wouldn't darken - then finally figured out that part of the muffler was 'shading' the solar cell.

Brad: I looked at my car this weekend. My clutch tube was re-welded through the shifter hole. This put the brace about 5 inches back from where the factory brace was located. Tube seems very solid with that brace (used a big 'ol screwdriver to pry the front part of the tube to see if it would flex at all - it didn't). Ever seen it done like this?

Demick
'74 2.0
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:00 PM