Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Dear Admins...
Brad Roberts
post Apr 16 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #21

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I just ask people to keep their OT count down. I have found that OT posts are higher during the winter/cold/rainy months because people are not working on their cars as much. Seriously, it is seasonal.

Seanery nailed my approach when "going live" with this place. I want to know more about the people involved with the cars. We will always have tech questions. I think this format is easier on OT discussions than an email group format.

Bottom line: if you have a question ..ask it.

One big family brought together with one common interest.

B
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 16 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #22

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 16 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #23

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Since you asked...

This question was asked just the other day in the admin forum (where the admins discuss stuff like this):

has the time come to set up an off-topic forum?

This was my response (and general consensus was reached among the respondents):

No.

My $.02 ( I am, as always, open for suggestions to the contrary):

It's part of the character of this board. People have said over and over again that they like the variety. The personality, if you will. Let's continue to be different.

I would prefer to see us continue to try to persuade members to post OT in the subject. I look at most threads once. After I determine that they don't interest me, or they've gone political, I don't read them anymore. When I'm really busy, it's pretty quick to just hit the threads that I am interested in. Then I move on to a "real life".

IMHO, and speaking strictly for myself, I don't want to impose rules on this forum and it's members. I don't want to have to enforce said rules (if instated). I get to do enough of that in my day job. I'd rather spend my available time and energy keeping this medium funtional so we can all enjoy it. I have many, many friends among the members here and I enjoy being able to spend time with them on this board whan I have the time and inclination.

You're all big boys... and girls. You can manage to click or not. If you want strictly structured forums, they're out there. This isn't one of 'em.

I like this place just fine, just the way it is.
+Quote Post
Curvie Roadlover
post Apr 16 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #24

Two trunks are better than one!

Member No.: 42

QUOTE(Jenny @ Apr 16 2004, 09:08 AM)
We wouldn't have the comradery we have here if it wasn't for OT threads. I can tell Qarl apart from all the other Carls because of Hunter and all the penguine games he keeps finding. I know Korijo is Dave's screen name because it's his wife's name, and I know we raised money for a wheelchair and van for him, and he's giving his two boys a bug and a 914. And Fiid is short for David, and he's riding his bicycle down to SoCal for an aids benefit. I feel like everyone here is a good friend that I'd do my damnest to help if I can, and I probably wouldn't feel inclined to do so if it'd just been a year and a half of technical threads about how to fix my car. It's just an added plus that all my friends here are extremely 914 savy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Jen

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
vortrex
post Apr 16 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4

I wish there was an OT forum. lately there have been way more OT topics than 914 topics. pretty soon you're going to need to change the site to www.OTclub.com.
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Apr 16 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #26

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 16 2004, 01:15 PM)

IMHO, and speaking strictly for myself, I don't want to impose rules on this forum and it's members. I don't want to have to enforce said rules (if instated). I get to do enough of that in my day job. I'd rather spend my available time and energy keeping this medium funtional so we can all enjoy it. I have many, many friends among the members here and I enjoy being able to spend time with them on this board whan I have the time and inclination.

You're all big boys... and girls. You can manage to click or not. If you want strictly structured forums, they're out there. This isn't one of 'em.

I like this place just fine, just the way it is.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
If I like wanted to read and obey roolz, uh I'd like go to skool and stuff
uh huh huh
Right, Bevis?
(man I can still do a wicked Butthead voice, can we get an audioclip section??)

DONT CHANGE A THING!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Apr 16 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #27

Shriveled member

Member No.: 271

I just thought if the Ford Terminator (03 and 04 supercharged cobra ) guys and gals could do it a bunch of sophisticated Porschephiles could pull it off, but if yall can't then ya can't...

Therein lies the fault to your logic.

We are NOT a bunch of sophisticated Porschephiles.

If that is what you are looking forl, then hang out on the well-policed Pelican Parts Boards or the dead Rennlist forums.

We are bunch of kooky nuts with many quirks.

On a personal note, I rarely have time to socialize with friends because of my family life and obligations. In fact one of my only friends in town gets together with me once or twice a year.

914club allows me to have many virtual friends that I can shoot the sh*t with at any time and any place.

Believe it or not, I talk about the guys on here a lot, as if they were my pals here locally.

If it weren't for the OT banter, then this place would be stale and uninviting.

My opinion... don't change a thing.

Besides, where else can I post about my dog's nuts and have hundreds of views in 24 hours!!!!
+Quote Post
Gint
post Apr 16 2004, 04:01 PM
Post #28

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Besides, where else can I post about my dog's nuts and have hundreds of views in 24 hours!!!!

I had to draw the line on that one! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I sure the pooch gets his drips fixed though. Oh, and, no pics!
+Quote Post
drew365
post Apr 16 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #29

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Knowing the internet, there's probably more places for that than we'd like to know about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Apr 16 2004, 05:13 PM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 16 2004, 12:08 PM)

One big family brought together with one common interest.

B

I still think Aliens had something to do with it....and I'm watching.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

Exactly what quarl said!
My job consumes my life to the point that I often times really don't have one.

I find myself telling my soul mate about what's happening with Hunter in Florida or how "B" got screwed and in spite of it all he displayed one of the strongest caritures I've witnessed, or how we just can't seem to make the van this happen no matter what we do. Then there's Jen's wrecked 914 saga. (couldn't help but bring that up)

As long as things stay "G" rated I'm cool with OT. We alway come back to the cars.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 16 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #31

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The most important part/system on the car is the driver/owner. So OT threads are really technical threads.

If you're hungry for technical topics, go to the beginning of "time" and start reading towards now. That'll keep you happy for a long time.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
ablose58
post Apr 16 2004, 06:17 PM
Post #32

rust never sleeps

Member No.: 1,422

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Don't change a thing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) Everything is cool as is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) AL
+Quote Post
415PB
post Apr 16 2004, 06:31 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 996

I think the site rocks the way it is. That is why I keep coming back over and over again. Why does it seem so hard for some people to NOT click on the damn OT if they dont like OT. Some people just cant refrain from complaining. Same goes with the damn avatar thing. Turn them off if you dont like them. It appears to me that all the admins on this board are doing a fantastic job. Please keep it up. My .02 cents of course. Oh and by the way, I am in dire need of a drivers door panel, anybody got one? I am trying to finish up before the WCC
+Quote Post
McMark
post Apr 16 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Member No.: 419

415PB, What color? What material? Speaker cutouts okay?

Details, details. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Apr 16 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #35

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Don't mean to "pile on" this bandwagon but......

I used to frequent the MGA BBS and received tons of good advise and plenty of help. But it was nothing like this place.

I have never talked to any of you in person. Never even attended on of the events posted on the board (hopefully will do fall-foliage this year...we'll see Seanery) but I still feel a connection with all of you based on the goofed up OT crap we post. It's a nice break from reading about someone's AX times or bigger Jugs for a motor (I do kinda miss the female variety on the board though oh well other places to get that).

We all know who has what job, who's dogs nuts are getting wacked off, no pun intended, and who had a bad day at work so they went driving.

Doesn't get any more "family" than this.

Keep it up guys and I LOVE YOU MAN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
415PB
post Apr 16 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 996

QUOTE(tdgray @ Apr 16 2004, 04:39 PM)
Don't mean to "pile on" this bandwagon but......

I used to frequent the MGA BBS and received tons of good advise and plenty of help. But it was nothing like this place.

I have never talked to any of you in person. Never even attended on of the events posted on the board (hopefully will do fall-foliage this year...we'll see Seanery) but I still feel a connection with all of you based on the goofed up OT crap we post. It's a nice break from reading about someone's AX times or bigger Jugs for a motor (I do kinda miss the female variety on the board though oh well other places to get that).

We all know who has what job, who's dogs nuts are getting wacked off, no pun intended, and who had a bad day at work so they went driving.

Doesn't get any more "family" than this.

Keep it up guys and I LOVE YOU MAN (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Well said Todd, and I am glad you piled on the bandwagon (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Mark, I guess that would have helped. I need a black door panel with no speaker cut-outs. Basketweave on the lower and smooth vinyl on top. I know, these are gonna be hard to come by, but since it seems like we all are family here, I am sure someone will help me out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I purchased a set March 21 on eveil-bay, but the seller never sent them. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help if you can. Thanks
+Quote Post
Ray Warren
post Apr 16 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 1,214

a buncha guys standing around a garage shooting the shit. Loose the OT, loose the atmosphere.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
lagunero
post Apr 16 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #38

Donkey Member

Member No.: 1,531

QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Apr 16 2004, 05:09 PM)
The most important part/system on the car is the driver/owner. So OT threads are really technical threads.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) 99% . For the most part these topics evolve just like Brad invisioned them. Topics clearly stated as OT or WOT should be entered with caution. Of course I didn't read the "newbies read here" chapter for the meaning of these abbreviations, clearly this is not the concern on this thread. To stay strictly tech is to ask for the quick and swift death of this dear club. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) "don't go changing to try to please me, I love just the way you are"
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 16 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #39

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Member No.: 100

When I talk about this place and hats/shirts, etc...with vendors I always feel like we're a concrete club, not just a virtual one. I've met a lot of folks from this place that I never did with the old DGI and RennList, even Pelican. I haven't met most of you, but feel that it would be like we knew have met already. A lot of that comes from the BS that goes on in the posts. It happens in both the on & off topic posts. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'd probably come here less if it were different.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Apr 16 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #40

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Have you ever had a conversation with anyone and stayed " on topic ".

I know I don't. "Hey, how about this" or "What'd'ya think about that". Always.

Don't be robots! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif) They're not cool.

Every post has it's audience...you'll look or you won't.
OT or NOT.

I'm staying. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

trekkor
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:19 AM