Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Long, slow Megasquirt conversion, Sad D-Jet times
r3dplanet
post Sep 13 2010, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,741
Region Association: None

Kameraden -

I own a lovely, though far from perfect, 1971 914 with a stock D-jet fuel injection system. I bought the car almost a year ago, and during that year I've tried hard to make the thing run correctly. It's never happened. After spending apparently a thousand hours reading and re-reading the available D-Jet literature and forum posts and testing and replacing every D-Jet part I can think of, I've decided that the best way to proceed is to purge by fire.

My goal is simple: all I want to do is to make my car run as smooth as it is capable of running. I'm not after performance gains, but I also don't want to suffer any losses. I don't drive my 1.7 liter car to go fast, I drive the car because I love what it is: small, efficient, fun. If I need a speed fix I can just as easily hop on my motorcycle or jump into my hopped-up Barracuda.

If this process helps me think out loud and use the available wisdom here, then surely it will help others on what I'm expecting will be an increasingly common path. I dig the D-jet injection system, but the fact is that parts are becoming more rare, more expensive, and more uncertain. Another major factor for my action is that there are too many unknowns when trying to diagnose the D-jet. Just when I think I have it nailed down, the air temperature drops ten degrees and the car barely runs, which makes for a crestfallen, tongue-gnashing experience. With the Megasquirt setup, I can hook up my Thinkpad and just find out what's happening with the injection system. To me, this alone is worth the price of admission.

The unit I've chosen will either be a Megasquirt II v.3 unit or a system based on it. After reading the comparisons between the systems it seems that the MS II v.3 is newer enough for all I want to do, and also because the MS III system simply is too complicated for my needs. What are my needs? Right now I want to do a fuel-only setup, but perhaps later I'll install an optical crank sensor and go for spark/timing control.

Let's begin.

From eBay and diyautotune.com I have ordered and received a Bosch oxygen sensor, Innovate controller, dash gauge, and MS stim kit. Since my Bursch exhaust already burned off all the paint from its year-old rattle-can paint job from the previous owner, I decided to begin with the oxygen sensor install. This would be a handy thing to have even if I kept the D-jet system just for the sake of curiosity. Am I running lean or rich? Who knows? Well, the O2 sensor knows. So this morning I detached the exhaust and had a local exhaust shop weld in a sensor bung. I then began to lace the wires along with some existing turn signal wiring. I'll have pictures of this shortly.

After the bung was welded in, I made a $10 soda blaster like the one you can see here:

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-...p/soda_blaster/

I blasted the exhaust using four small boxes of baking soda obtained from the drug store down the street. I then shot it with a little hydrochloric acid to eat any remaining schmutz and rust, and then I hosed it clean with water to neutralize. Normally I like to send off my exhaust projects to be Jet-Hot coated, and I'm a believer in the process. The exhaust manifolds on my Barracuda and the headers on my Falcon were both Jet-Hot coated and they look brand new many years later. Its expensive but worth it. I didn't Jet-Hot the Bursch only because my neighbor gave me a can of Por15 Black Velvet exhaust paint. It's a brush-on affair where you paint on a coating the consistency of dairy "pudding," let it dry, brush on another coat, and then let the heat of the running motor bake it into place. I'm dubious, but it was free and I have nothing to lose by trying. It can't be any worse than the thoughtless Krylon job it was sporting until this morning. We took some photos of the process and I'll post them later.

Next up is wiring up the dash gauge and soldering the stim kit together.

Thanks for reading.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
spankmeister7   Long, slow Megasquirt conversion   Sep 13 2010, 12:16 AM
type47   :popcorn: Keep posting your progress, I, for one, ...   Sep 13 2010, 06:14 AM
904svo   I would suggest you run MS1 extra it has all the f...   Sep 13 2010, 07:00 AM
underthetire   I agree with the choice to do the MSII-V3.0. I...   Sep 13 2010, 09:12 AM
nathansnathan   I've painted the heat exchangers, stock muffle...   Sep 13 2010, 09:30 AM
charliew   soda will not clean rust off it is a very mild cut...   Sep 13 2010, 09:32 PM
spankmeister7   Okay. I've done a little work, but most of it ...   Sep 23 2010, 10:16 PM
spankmeister7   Since I've written last I yanked my Bursch exh...   Sep 23 2010, 10:21 PM
spankmeister7   I also stopped by Camp 914 today and bought a few ...   Sep 23 2010, 10:28 PM
spankmeister7   More photos. Something I'm not sure how to do...   Sep 23 2010, 10:32 PM
spankmeister7   These are the last uploads of the evening, just in...   Sep 23 2010, 10:36 PM
Mark Henry   Well.... I don't like your O2 sensor location....   Sep 24 2010, 07:00 AM
spankmeister7   Allow me to clarify. The oxygen sensor doesn't...   Sep 24 2010, 10:14 AM
John Jentz   Try to PM 904SVO he has just finished a long painf...   Sep 24 2010, 09:04 AM
John Jentz   Kameraden - The unit I've chosen will either...   Sep 24 2010, 09:12 AM
ripper911   Looks like my cat! :cat:   Sep 24 2010, 06:46 PM
charliew   Looks like my cat only yours has a tail.   Sep 26 2010, 10:30 AM
stugray   spankmeister7, My understanding was that an O2 se...   Oct 7 2010, 12:31 PM
JamesM   Who is using leaded gas? As for cams i dont think...   Oct 7 2010, 05:46 PM
spankmeister7   Apologies for my absence. I've been putting th...   Oct 7 2010, 11:33 PM
swood   Dude, you called your cat Steve? :WTF: :D   Oct 8 2010, 12:13 AM
nathansnathan   This is how the bus guys do taco plates http://ww...   Oct 8 2010, 12:43 AM
stugray   "Who is using leaded gas?" I have owned...   Oct 8 2010, 08:24 AM
JamesM   I am not saying its a bad idea for the motors, I a...   Oct 9 2010, 12:51 AM
Mark Henry   "Who is using leaded gas?" I have owne...   Oct 9 2010, 07:12 AM
spankmeister7   Moot point. It's clear that while leaded fue...   Oct 9 2010, 01:40 AM
charliew   My friend pulls a couple of dual bigblock tractors...   Oct 9 2010, 08:02 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 11:44 AM