Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air conditioning, Does it work?
Pat Garvey
post Sep 16 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Not that i would even consider A/C on my '72, but I'd like to hear from those who have it (any year) as to whether it works!

When we went to the 78 Aspen Parade, we did it in a 924 (914 was in the process of body restoration - that's right, six years old & it needed resto!).
Travelling through Kansas, we noted that the condensor of the 924 was loaded up with ice. Turned the compressor off, to drain the condenser. It was 106 degress. Humidity about 85% (lived there for 2 years, so I know what it feels like). Took nearly any hour to clear the frost, in the meantime we suffered immesnsely. When the frost melted, we turned the system back on. Worked great for 30 minutes, until it iced up again. Never turned the a/c on again.

So, and I'm just curious, how has a/c worked for those who have it on a 914, assuming it is original/dealer installed.
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Sep 16 2010, 07:23 PM
Post #2

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

I've always heard the 914 A/C works very well but I'm also interested in hearing from others just how well it works. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Sep 17 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

THe ice, Pat was probably a clogged expansion valve. Replacing it would have solved the problem.
The factory ac and the aftermarket ac when in good condition, work FABULOUSLY
in the 914. I will never forget the time my buddy Frank and I took two chicks and identical malaga 76 914s four hours away to Hilton Head, S.C. The only difference was that I had AC and he did not. When we got there, Becky and I were very refreshed looking, and Frank and Nancy looked like rag dolls!!!! AC does make a great difference in a 914.
One caveat though is that the old systems MUST use R-12 to cool effectively. The new units with the dual condensers that we sell use r 134 effectively.
Finally, of course as you said, NEVER AC on a concours car unless, like Steve's, it had already been fitted by the original selling dealer.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 16 2010, 05:56 PM) *

Not that i would even consider A/C on my '72, but I'd like to hear from those who have it (any year) as to whether it works!

When we went to the 78 Aspen Parade, we did it in a 924 (914 was in the process of body restoration - that's right, six years old & it needed resto!).
Travelling through Kansas, we noted that the condensor of the 924 was loaded up with ice. Turned the compressor off, to drain the condenser. It was 106 degress. Humidity about 85% (lived there for 2 years, so I know what it feels like). Took nearly any hour to clear the frost, in the meantime we suffered immesnsely. When the frost melted, we turned the system back on. Worked great for 30 minutes, until it iced up again. Never turned the a/c on again.

So, and I'm just curious, how has a/c worked for those who have it on a 914, assuming it is original/dealer installed.
Pat

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 17 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

So George, Steve & Pat - what's the CW concensus of updateing an original dealer installed DPD or VPC AC (like Steve's VPC) with the new compressor/cond./evap./etc. of yours while maintaining the underdash vent box & front trunk shroud to run R134 more effectively cool? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

... would one get Gigged? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW - I've updated our 88 Westy & 85 BMW 325e to R134, but that required little/no hardware change-out & they cool GREAT!

FWIW - since it was new, our 88 Westy's AC had inadequate condensate drainage from the overhead outlets (in the rear on Westy's due to the pop-top), so as soon as we got to TX, OK or so on our XC trips every year - i.e. as soon as the humidity went up but it was okay out in the drier west - & we got a constant icy waterfall dripping on the back seat!! Yes both rear drains were clear, but the fan ducts would cool down so much that moisture condensed on it & got blown out by the A/C's fan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

For the trips back east I finally rigged up a wallpaper dipping tray with a drain line out the slider door to catch & drain what was blown out the vents by the CA fan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I don't know if that ever happens with the DPD, VPC or AA systems? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 17 2010, 08:19 AM) *

THe ice, Pat was probably a clogged expansion valve. Replacing it would have solved the problem.
in the 914. I will never forget the time my buddy Frank and I took two chicks and identical malaga 76 914s four hours away to Hilton Head, S.C. The only difference was that I had AC and he did not. When we got there, Becky and I were very refreshed looking, and Frank and Nancy looked like rag dolls!!!! AC does make a great difference in a 914.
One caveat though is that the old systems MUST use R-12 to cool effectively. The new units with the dual condensers that we sell use r 134 effectively.
Finally, of course as you said, NEVER AC on a concours car unless, like Steve's, it had already been fitted by the original selling dealer.

Pat

+Quote Post
914four
post Sep 17 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,582
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 16 2010, 07:56 PM) *

Pat

The car I got a few years ago had dealer installed A/C that I considered having repaired. Recently I removed the system and found butchered metal work as well as kinked lines and wondered how efficiently the A/C worked when it was new. It seems like the lines were probably at least partillay blocked with kinks and could not work properly. My opinion is that the entire job was lacking in completeness and looked to be hastily installed by the dealer. I feel sure the A/C unit is much harder to install after the assembly line production than during the production of the car.

I was very disappointed in the way the A/C system was installed by the dealer. Maybe others were installed with more care but this one did not seem to be installed with much attention to detail and consideration for long term use. The holes for the lines were not finished with care (e.g. sharp edges) and the under dash screws and brackets seemed to be lacking in completeness. To be fair there were rubber grommets installed but they were over unfinished holes.

The passenger side heat outlet was completely blocked with the interior A/C control unit and created an imbalanced heat situation in the winter. This is probably the norm for all under dash A/C units that were installed.

It seems to me the 914 was designed to be a non-A/C car and should be preserved as such but this is just my opinion. There are probably very good aftermarket A/C units available now that can be installed to work well with our little cars. I feel sure that instillation can be done with care that will avoid the mistakes of the early 70's dealer installations and provide a nice cool ride.

I drive with the top off most of the time anyway, even in the 95 degree Alabama heat and humidity and love it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blue914.jpg)

Kelvin
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 18 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #6

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 17 2010, 10:19 AM) *

Pat

George,
The drain tubes were clear. Just don't think the unit was capable at the time.

By the way, we've been in HH for a couple of weeks (our 31st trip - guess we should just buy something here). Still, I would trust a/c on any early Porsche to really cool the car.
Pat
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Dec 12 2010, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

The original AC systems in the 914-4 worked great as it's really a faily small area that has to be cooled. The quality of the original installation was completely dependent on the skill and care of the dealership's mechanics/technicians when the cars were new.

As far as a refrigerant, people have been also using a different refrigerant named Duracool (a propane based product) that is a direct replacement for the R-12. There are some questions about the legality of this conversion (EPA regs), but it's supposed to have much less greenhouse gas production potential than any other refrigerants. If you Google the name, you can get some information on this alternative refrigerant.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:10 PM