Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Valve Spring Compressor Recommendations Please
tornik550
post Sep 18 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

Maybe I am doing something wrong but removing valve springs on my 914 has been a real pain. I have tried two different types. I can get the springs off but it is a real pain. I have a C type compressor from sears- didn't work. I also have the type that grips the spring and when you screw the knob in the spring compresses- never works as planned.

Any recommendations for a easy to use valve spring compressor? There has so be one that is much easier.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 18 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

what are you having trouble with? getting the retainer off?

when you compress the spring smack the the valve with a soft hammer to pop the retainer up then you can take the keepers out.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Sep 18 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 18 2010, 10:45 PM) *

when you compress the spring smack the the valve with a soft hammer to pop the retainer up then you can take the keepers out.

When I use the compressor that grabs the sides of the springs and screws in, if I grip the valve compressor at the bottom of the spring, I cannot get a good grip and the compressor often pops off. I cannot get a good grip because of the mound of metal that sticks up and hold the valve guide. If I try to grip the spring further up beyond where the metal mount ends, I can compress the spring but not enough to get the keepers off.

+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Sep 18 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 18 2010, 11:00 PM) *

When I use the compressor that grabs the sides of the springs and screws in, if I grip the valve compressor at the bottom of the spring, I cannot get a good grip and the compressor often pops off. I cannot get a good grip because of the mound of metal that sticks up and hold the valve guide. If I try to grip the spring further up beyond where the metal mount ends, I can compress the spring but not enough to get the keepers off.

Okay,
I have been in your shoes. I was trying to use a combination of hose clamp and valve comp. tool.... I had to buy a specific brand of valve compressor. It is Sears/craftsman brand. I hate to advertise or benchmark them but it was the only luck I had out of 3 different ones. http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogI...mp;blockType=G2 ..... Use this link. This is the exact tool. The difference was the length in sides and width of the fingers. I absolutely love this tool now. Not to mention it is stonger and way more quality than others I've owned.

Hope this helps,
Thomas
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Sep 18 2010, 09:27 PM
Post #5

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Member No.: 12,156

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Sep 18 2010, 11:24 PM) *

Okay,
I have been in your shoes. I was trying to use a combination of hose clamp and valve comp. tool.... I had to buy a specific brand of valve compressor. It is Sears/craftsman brand. I hate to advertise or benchmark them but it was the only luck I had out of 3 different ones. http://auto.sears.com/Product.htm?catalogI...mp;blockType=G2 ..... Use this link. This is the exact tool. The difference was the length in sides and width of the fingers. I absolutely love this tool now. Not to mention it is stonger and way more quality than others I've owned.

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Also if you want since your local (somewhat)... I wouldn't mind coming up to give you a hand on a weekend.... Just send me a PM... I also would like to know some 914 owners in my area....

Thomas
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Sep 18 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

You own a drill press and a grinder? Here's the trick way. Oh, you'll need a drill press vise, too. Take a deep socket large enough is size to just cover the retainer. Cut out 2 opposite sides with the bench grinder until you have 2 10mm strips left holding the top to the bottom. Keep a can of water nearby to quench the heat you're generating so you won't burn your fingers. Leave about 10mm at the bottom, the same at the top. Set a wrist pin in the vise, set the vise on the table of the drill press. Put an 8mm bolt through the top of the socket, the part where the ratchet would go. Lock it down with a nut. There should be enough bolt to secure in the chuck. Using a similar size socket, give each retainer a sharp whack. Arrange the head in the drill press so the valve head rests on the vertical wrist pin and the tool you've just made rests on the retainer. Depress the retainer by turning the height control mechanism of the spindle until you've fully exposed the keepers. Flick them puppies out with a pocket screwdriver or a pencil magnet. Raise the spindle (OK, the quill, for you anal machinists) and move on to the next valve. The sharp whack has jolted everything loose, and you won't put a dangerous or damaging load on the drill press.

I'm still in the 37th year of the 40 year developmental testing period for this tool, but it looks like it may just work!

Enjoy! The Cap'n
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Sep 18 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Sep 18 2010, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Sep 18 2010, 11:24 PM) *

Okay,

Hope this helps,
Thomas

Also if you want since your local (somewhat)... I wouldn't mind coming up to give you a hand on a weekend.... Just send me a PM... I also would like to know some 914 owners in my area....

Thomas

That sounds great to me. It strange that I really don't know any 914 guys even though the guy a few house down from me has a 2.0l. He's not very friendly.

Here is a picture of the compressor that use. Is the craftsman one different?

PM me anytime so we can get together.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Sep 18 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 18 2010, 11:37 PM) *

You own a drill press and a grinder? Here's the trick way. Oh, you'll need a drill press vise, too. Take a deep socket large enough is size to just cover the retainer. Cut out 2 opposite sides with the bench grinder until you have 2 10mm strips left holding the top to the bottom. Keep a can of water nearby to quench the heat you're generating so you won't burn your fingers. Leave about 10mm at the bottom, the same at the top. Set a wrist pin in the vise, set the vise on the table of the drill press. Put an 8mm bolt through the top of the socket, the part where the ratchet would go. Lock it down with a nut. There should be enough bolt to secure in the chuck. Using a similar size socket, give each retainer a sharp whack. Arrange the head in the drill press so the valve head rests on the vertical wrist pin and the tool you've just made rests on the retainer. Depress the retainer by turning the height control mechanism of the spindle until you've fully exposed the keepers. Flick them puppies out with a pocket screwdriver or a pencil magnet. Raise the spindle (OK, the quill, for you anal machinists) and move on to the next valve. The sharp whack has jolted everything loose, and you won't put a dangerous or damaging load on the drill press.

I'm still in the 37th year of the 40 year developmental testing period for this tool, but it looks like it may just work!

Enjoy! The Cap'n

Unfortunately, I do not have a drill press. Well, I do but just one of those small ones. Next on my list is to buy a full size drill press.
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 18 2010, 09:51 PM
Post #9

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931

that tool is mostly for doing a spring change with the head on the engine.

i just did a cam and spring change on a buddies ford truck with one of those.... real pain in the ass!

the c-clamp type is better but crusty has the best methode if you do a buch of them... there is acully a tool that is just like that.
+Quote Post
70_914
post Sep 18 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,096

Taking them apart is easy.

1. Put your head piston-side down on a piece of plywood.
2. Place a shallow socket that fits nicely on top of your retainer.
3. Smack the socket with a 3# mini sledge.
4. Try not to smile as the little keepers go flying and the spring is free.

Reassembly with the C-clamp style compressor is very easy.

People won't like this idea, but it has worked well for me on my Type I, Type IV, 2.3 Ford and Rabbit engines.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:31 PM