Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buyer Beware - Auto Atlanta
Bristol
post Sep 20 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,573
Region Association: None

Well… I’m grossly disappointed in Auto Atlanta. I placed an order with them last week and had anticipated free shipping as their website advertises free shipping on orders over $100, except for oversized items. The online order processing clearly indicated no shipping charge, all was good. Guess what, I was indeed charged shipping and did not find out about it until the parts were received. The item that pushed my order into being oversized was a window seal. Their website does not state anything about their policy, but what it comes down to (according to their customer support) is any package over 10” X 10” X 10” is considered oversized! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I was thinking more of big packages being oversized rather than just small and medium sized ones! I didn’t think a window seal would be “oversized” and there is no way to tell from their site (Pelican Parts does this though). A rational and reasonable call to Customer Support got me absolutely nowhere. They were standing by their policy even though they knew it was subjective and not communicated to the customers. Basically they told me I’d need to talk to George as he’s the one who sets this policy. Maybe he’ll see this and help me, but the main purpose of this post is to make other 914 owners aware of their ambiguous policy on “free” shipping and to use caution when ordering from them. Buyer beware.

To add insult to injury, in this order I also got a cap for my timing hole and a sun visor bracket. These were both reproductions. The quality of the material is disappointing to say the least. They appear to be very fragile and poorly finished. I’m definitely going to stay away from these kinds of repo parts in the future and just try to source used parts if new originals are not available. So, again, buyer beware.

Kirk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Sep 20 2010, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

oh brother... another one?
George's phone number is in his signiature. call him, he'll fix it; he can fix anything... even broken hearts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (quote from a book I read when I was 4)
+Quote Post
Bristol
post Sep 20 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 20 2010, 09:56 AM) *

George's phone number is in his signiature. call him, he'll fix it; he can fix anything... even broken hearts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (quote from a book I read when I was 4)

Would have done that, but customer support said he wasn't in today. They (Carrie and Brad at Customer Support) were VERY clear that there was nothing they were going to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Regardless, the main point is to make others aware of their policy as it is not defined on their website. So, do we all need to call George and follow up with every order? I think it's better to be an informed consumer and to know what your costs are going to be on the front end, rather than trying to fix it later. I thought I was informed, I was wrong, I'm informed now, and now I'm informing others. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Kirk
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Sep 20 2010, 11:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rules are rules and the companies rules are made by the company. Now I understand it didn't state that the seal would be considered over sized but that could have easily been found out and clarified by calling their customer service and while you are on the phone with them you could have stated that it would be nice if they would put a note on the items that would be considered over sized. Throwing a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) storm doesn't solve any problems and doesn't allow the companies to fix issues to make things easier on their customers. Instead of making things worse you could make things better and give feed back. These companies rely on us and our purchases and rely on our feed back to make their company better for us. They could always just quit doing these promo's for us if all we ever do is complain about something; especially if its one of the companies policies even if it wasn't clarified.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 20 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Bristol @ Sep 20 2010, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 20 2010, 09:56 AM) *

Would have done that, but customer support said he wasn't in today. They (Carrie and Brad at Customer Support) were VERY clear that there was nothing they were going to do. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Regardless, the main point is to make others aware of their policy as it is not defined on their website. So, do we all need to call George and follow up with every order? I think it's better to be an informed consumer and to know what your costs are going to be on the front end, rather than trying to fix it later. I thought I was informed, I was wrong, I'm informed now, and now I'm informing others. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)

Kirk

So, do we all need to call George and follow up with every order? - I do If needed and George has followed up quickly and helped me complete my orders. I also had not been receiving the 10% discount from 914club and he fixed that as well. I don't think you should post difficulties here until you have talked with the owner of the company since he is usually very accesible to customers. I own my own company and have set policies for my employees that they can not change but I can. Maybe some constructive conversation will result in a policy change, Maybe not, but imo, you should talk with the boss before posting on the internet. Mark
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 20 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #6

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Right ..... it's the constant bullshit from a supplier that causes people to post AND it is constant bullshit.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Sep 20 2010, 11:27 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,867

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 20 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Right ..... it's the constant bullshit from a supplier that causes people to post AND it is constant bullshit.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Bristol
post Sep 20 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #8

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clarify, I did send AA an e-mail and was not happy with the response. Rather than just post something nasty here I did call them and talked with Brad and Carrie in Customer Support at length. I did give them feedback on their ordering system and gave them suggestions for improvement. If nothing else, they could simply state their policy upfront. They were not receptive at all. Basically I hit a dead end with them and considered that the final word on the Auto Atlanta side. Yes, sure I can maybe work things out with George, but how does that help anyone else? Others will certainly run into the same issues with their "free" shipping and reproduction parts quality. I don't think it's wrong to open some eyes based on my own experience.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Sep 20 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #9

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Bristol @ Sep 20 2010, 01:30 PM) *

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to clarify, I did send AA an e-mail and was not happy with the response. Rather than just post something nasty here I did call them and talked with Brad and Carrie in Customer Support at length. I did give them feedback on their ordering system and gave them suggestions for improvement. If nothing else, they could simply state their policy upfront. They were not receptive at all. Basically I hit a dead end with them and considered that the final word on the Auto Atlanta side. Yes, sure I can maybe work things out with George, but how does that help anyone else? Others will certainly run into the same issues with their "free" shipping and reproduction parts quality. I don't think it's wrong to open some eyes based on my own experience.

Yes, sure I can maybe work things out with George, but how does that help anyone else?-

Because employee's can not change company policies but owners can.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Sep 20 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #10

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

George's personal cell phone number is in his sig. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Is a guy not allowed to take a 3 day weekend?

While I have never ordered anything from AA, I would still go to the owner who has made himself available and advertised in many threads such as this that he is available.
+Quote Post
RFoulds
post Sep 20 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #11

Green Teen 66

Member No.: 10,656
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was suprised also to see George once post something t the effect of "call me anytime, night or day!"

I woulda called him. I woulda said, "sorry Brad and Carrie, I don't care if he is IN, I have his cell number. HA!"

I'm sure he will do the right thing, and reverse the shipping charge, due to the ambiguity. It will probably cost him any margin he had on your order.

then, and more importantly, he and you should discuss your opinion of the reproduction parts. Anything reproduction should be better than OE, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Bristol
post Sep 20 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #12

Guys, I didn't bend over backwards to get in touch with George personally because it's not that much money. My personal money isn’t really the point of this thread. The intention is consumer awareness – YOUR money (well and maybe to vent a little (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sunglasses.gif) ). Maybe I should have titled the thread “buyer be aware” rather than “buyer beware”. I mostly wanted others on here to understand their “free” shipping policy as you won’t get this information from their website and the offer is only good for web orders. Contacting George to resolve my personal issue is fine advice, but unless he changes his policy, this is what it is today – “free” is only what fits in a 10 X 10 X 10 box. Now ya know! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Plus their Customer Service has a pretty strong “no can do” attitude, something that I’ve found now they have a history of from what I see on 914World. As such, I think one must be a well informed consumer when dealing with Auto Atlanta.
+Quote Post
racerbvd
post Sep 20 2010, 03:17 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 226

QUOTE(RJMII @ Sep 20 2010, 09:53 AM) *

George's personal cell phone number is in his sig. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Is a guy not allowed to take a 3 day weekend?

While I have never ordered anything from AA, I would still go to the owner who has made himself available and advertised in many threads such as this that he is available.

Well, we have in the past, I'll just leave it at that. A number only works if it is answered.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 20 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #14

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

My HS football coach once told me - "its far better to be pissed off, than pissed ON..."

I agree.
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Sep 20 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #15

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590

I have read posts like this for years. Yet, I still order parts from AA. Why? They are, if not the only, major 914 parts place where I can find (most) everything in one place. I come to expect some issues (due to past information and experience) but generally, I have had good results.
George has a genuine love for these bastards and has for far longer than most of us.

If your part didn't meet your expectations. Call them. If their answer didn't resolve your concerns, call George directly. If he doesn't resolve it to your satisfaction, contest the charges with your credit card company.

Then come here and bitch.
+Quote Post
Towarish
post Sep 20 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,699

I don't think it's wrong to open some eyes based on my own experience.

Bristol,I think your absolutely right to post your experience here,to make us at least alert on some price-policies. Also to get informed about the quality of parts is very helpful.
Or is this forum controlled by G.H. like other 914-forums?
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Sep 20 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #17

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884

QUOTE(BKLA @ Sep 20 2010, 03:22 PM) *

I have read posts like this for years. Yet, I still order parts from AA. Why? They are, if not the only, major 914 parts place where I can find (most) everything in one place. I come to expect some issues (due to past information and experience) but generally, I have had good results.
George has a genuine love for these bastards and has for far longer than most of us.

If your part didn't meet your expectations. Call them. If their answer didn't resolve your concerns, call George directly. If he doesn't resolve it to your satisfaction, contest the charges with your credit card company.

Then come here and bitch.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) George really does love these cars and has done a good deal for the rest of us.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 20 2010, 05:14 PM
Post #18

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Towarish @ Sep 20 2010, 03:26 PM) *

Nope ... We control ourselves around here ... (more or less)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 20 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #19

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 20 2010, 06:14 PM) *

I have no control when it comes to these cars. There I said it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) More or less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 20 2010, 05:36 PM
Post #20

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 20 2010, 04:32 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 20 2010, 06:14 PM) *

I have no control when it comes to these cars. There I said it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) More or less. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

Just like a fine woman... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:13 PM