Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flapper Box Repairs, Inexpensive fix
ChrisFoley
post Sep 22 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

New 914 flappers are NLA. Replacements are actually bus units with a small but meaningful difference, and they aren't cheap either. I sell them for $110.

If the housing is ok and the hinge mechanism is still intact but the springs which hold the discs apart inside are broken, the flapper can be repaired easily. In fact, the hardest part is removing the rivet that holds the assembly together.

This pic shows the two springs that were inside a flapper box I repaired this morning.
Attached Image

This conical spring is significantly smaller in diameter than the original but it's the biggest I could find.
Attached Image

This is where the spring goes. The cone is reversed from the original orientation but this benefits the assembly in a way that makes the other spring unnecessary.
After bolting it together it works perfectly again!
Attached Image

I can sell one spring and bolt/nylock as a repair kit for $12 plus delivery.
I can repair two flappers for a price of $60 + return shipping.
Depending on demand I might be able to establish a lower price but I would have to buy 100 springs at a time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 01:57 PM