Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tapered screw at firewall shift linkage
patssle
post Sep 24 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

Pulled my car out of storage, the temperature is about to get below 90 here in Houston - so time to drive again!

When I parked it, it ran and shifted great after I replaced the rear shift bushings. The firewall had been PO replaced and seemed to be fine - but I notice the tapered screw sticks out just a little, it is not flush.

But it shifted fine. Until after sitting in storage, it does not want to go into 1/3/5 gears. So I need to figure out what the problem is.

Is the tapered screw at the firewall bushing suppose to be flush or stick out just a tad? It shifted fine before with it sticking out a little, and I could not screw it all the way in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Sep 24 2010, 03:52 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,787

I thought I read somewhere that either the front ones or rear ones don't sit flush, but don't recall which is which. I think it was the rear ones are flush and the front ones not totally flush??
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Sep 24 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #3

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If the back one is loose, it will effect the shifting.
+Quote Post
type47
post Sep 24 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #4

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=101756
+Quote Post
patssle
post Sep 24 2010, 06:17 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,741

QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 24 2010, 04:00 PM) *

Yup, that's what I bought and replaced them at the firewall and in the rear - even though they really didn't need to be. Rear screws all the way in and is flush - but the firewall has 1 or so threads exposed.
+Quote Post
helios
post Sep 24 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,055
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 24 2010, 05:17 PM) *

Yup, that's what I bought and replaced them at the firewall and in the rear - even though they really didn't need to be. Rear screws all the way in and is flush - but the firewall has 1 or so threads exposed.

Exposed threads shouldn't make a difference....providing the taper of the screw is secure into the shift rod.

I had mine strip threads out of the linkage (firewall screw), lost all side to side motion of the shifter (left with only 2 & 3). Drilled the hole out larger and tapped new threads, ground a taper on the end of a conventional bolt and it works like a champ, even w/ a bolt head hanging out the bottom.
+Quote Post
pilothyer
post Sep 24 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,080
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 24 2010, 04:46 PM) *

Pulled my car out of storage, the temperature is about to get below 90 here in Houston - so time to drive again!

When I parked it, it ran and shifted great after I replaced the rear shift bushings. The firewall had been PO replaced and seemed to be fine - but I notice the tapered screw sticks out just a little, it is not flush.

But it shifted fine. Until after sitting in storage, it does not want to go into 1/3/5 gears. So I need to figure out what the problem is.

Is the tapered screw at the firewall bushing suppose to be flush or stick out just a tad? It shifted fine before with it sticking out a little, and I could not screw it all the way in.

I think as long as the rear shift rod tapered screws are holding at all they are ok, but the clamp bolt in the tunnel has probably come loose and allowed your for and aft shift adjustment to change. also you may want to check the pair of bushings in the shift rod coupler at the firewall...they might be crumbled.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Sep 24 2010, 08:46 PM
Post #8

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Mine was loose a few months ago and prevented me from getting into some of the gears, just a little slop made a huge difference.
+Quote Post
loco914
post Sep 25 2010, 03:07 AM
Post #9

Thy wheels have left the rail...

Member No.: 11,542

Changed the firewall and front linkage bushings earlier this week and the cone screw in mine did peek out a bit. The rear cone screw is flush.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 05:30 PM