Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SBC 350 storage, Should I run it on a stand?
pete
post Sep 28 2010, 06:31 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,092
Region Association: North East States

My SBC 350 is going to be sitting for at least 6-8 months before I get it in the car and can start it. I bought it used from a 914 guy and have little info on how and when it was last run. Is it ok to let it sit void of oil (it was shipped to me) or do I build an engine stand and get it running? Or should I just mount my transaxle to it with a starter, put oil in it and just crank it every now and then?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2010, 07:55 AM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pull the spark plugs. Put a little oil in the spark plug holes. Put oil in the case. Turn the engine over a few times by hand to make sure it is lubricated.

I'd make a storage stand out of a stout funriture dolly so that you can wheel it around when you need to. I would not run it, simply from all the work required to get it running and then pull it back apart for storage.

Cover all the openings. If you can, wrap it in plastic wrap and tuck it away for storage. Plan on changing the oil before running it, even though the oil was never run.

Zach
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 28 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 28 2010, 09:55 AM) *

Pull the spark plugs. Put a little oil in the spark plug holes. Put oil in the case. Turn the engine over a few times by hand to make sure it is lubricated.

I'd make a storage stand out of a stout funriture dolly so that you can wheel it around when you need to. I would not run it, simply from all the work required to get it running and then pull it back apart for storage.

Cover all the openings. If you can, wrap it in plastic wrap and tuck it away for storage. Plan on changing the oil before running it, even though the oil was never run.

Zach

Sounds like a good plan to me Zach. Thanks for the feedback.
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 28 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

get some crc lube and spray in to the spark plug holes, put plugs back in, take valve coves off and pour some oil across the top of the heads [the oil will drain to the crack case covering the cam and lifters on the way] . then put some desicant packs[spl?] in a garbage bag and seal the engine in the bag. do seal any openings to the engine , exhaust ports intake, any where some thing can get dropped into.

when it's time to fire the engine up get a preoiler oil pump drive, it's a shaft the engages the oil pump thru the distributor hole, yes you have to pull the distributor. and use a drill the drive the pre oiler shaft untill you have oil to the top of the heads. pull the plugs turn the engine over many times by hand.

you should be ready to go from there.
+Quote Post
pete
post Sep 28 2010, 01:02 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(messix @ Sep 28 2010, 02:19 PM) *

get some crc lube and spray in to the spark plug holes, put plugs back in, take valve coves off and pour some oil across the top of the heads [the oil will drain to the crack case covering the cam and lifters on the way] . then put some desicant packs[spl?] in a garbage bag and seal the engine in the bag. do seal any openings to the engine , exhaust ports intake, any where some thing can get dropped into.

when it's time to fire the engine up get a preoiler oil pump drive, it's a shaft the engages the oil pump thru the distributor hole, yes you have to pull the distributor. and use a drill the drive the pre oiler shaft untill you have oil to the top of the heads. pull the plugs turn the engine over many times by hand.

you should be ready to go from there.

Great idea! I was going to take the aluminum valve covers off anyway to polish them. Now I have another reason to.
+Quote Post
realred914
post Sep 28 2010, 03:25 PM
Post #6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

short runs on a motor is usually the not the thing to do for storage, a short run when motor can not FULLY warm up maens that that water from combustion can condense inside and then sett=le inside and make rust. if in storegae then best to do as a bove and and get oil in it but do not run it with gas then kepp it clean and dry turn by hand once and while iwth oil in there is ok

v8 should be cool, freind is thinkiong of doing radtitor conversion soon, we been think ing about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 12:59 PM