Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Side Marker question, Shaved em
Black22
post Sep 29 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,290
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Getting the teener painted and decided to shave the side marker lights. Do I need to do anything special to the wires that would have been connected to the marker lights or just cap and seal em? I know these cars are funny about electrical stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 29 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #2

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I did not do anything special to mine beyond sealing them against shorts.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 29 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #3

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
done it on 3 different cars now. just make sure to seal them up and tuck them up out of danger...
+Quote Post
Black22
post Sep 30 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #4

Thanks gentlemen...I will do just that.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 30 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8,245
Region Association: Southwest Region

I was thinking of shaving mine and replacing it with the marker light from a Late model Jetta like this: (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.racepages.com-8245-1285884459.1.jpg)
Has anyone done this?
+Quote Post
Black22
post Sep 30 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #6

I think someone did a similar side marker to that one on another thread. I believe it was a red or orange car.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 30 2010, 05:01 PM
Post #7

I think they would look really sharp with a amber led bulb. I like the smooth look, but I am not to excited about anything that reduces visibility...
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Sep 30 2010, 05:22 PM
Post #8

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

The USA sidemarkers are on USA 914s because of USA safety laws, protecting not only you but the other guy. We all know how ugly they are, but that was the way it was done back then. Look at todays cars...lots of lights at the corners. They allow other motorists to better see the front corners of the car in difficult lighting conditions or viewing angles. In fact the rear USA tailights also have internal sidemarkers that they don't require in Germany but the factory was able to integrate them into the tailight housings unlike the fronts. If this has to be done, why not go all the way and pull out the rear sidemarkers bulbs too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Front sidemarkers are also on Italian and Japanese 914s. Modifications for looks are one thing, but anything affecting safety is quite another.

We are not in Germany, their non-requirement for sidemarkers is not applicable here. Do what you may to your car if you feel compelled to...but don't sue the guy who hits you because your car does not comply with the law...and don't be surprised if he sues you for any damages he suffers because he could not see you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Sep 30 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 30 2010, 04:22 PM) *

The USA sidemarkers are on USA 914s because of USA safety laws, protecting not only you but the other guy. We all know how ugly they are, but that was the way it was done back then. Look at todays cars...lots of lights at the corners. They allow other motorists to better see the front corners of the car in difficult lighting conditions or viewing angles. In fact the rear USA tailights also have internal sidemarkers that they don't require in Germany but the factory was able to integrate them into the tailight housings unlike the fronts. If this has to be done, why not go all the way and pull out the rear sidemarkers bulbs too? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Front sidemarkers are also on Italian and Japanese 914s. Modifications for looks are one thing, but anything affecting safety is quite another.

We are not in Germany, their non-requirement for sidemarkers is not applicable here. Do what you may to your car if you feel compelled to...but don't sue the guy who hits you because your car does not comply with the law...and don't be surprised if he sues you for any damages he suffers because he could not see you.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'm curious now because there are two conversations going on here... Is the late model VW lite I am suggesting illegal? I wouldn't think so being that it is significantly brighter than the stock... I just think it looks less obtrusive in the daytime... I'm with you on thinking removing them completely is a very bad idea.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Sep 30 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

It is fairly easy to cut them back where they come out of the harness inside the trunk on the fenderwells.
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Oct 1 2010, 06:29 AM
Post #11

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 30 2010, 05:07 PM) *

I was thinking of shaving mine and replacing it with the marker light from a Late model Jetta like this: (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.racepages.com-8245-1285884459.1.jpg)
Has anyone done this?

Look at the side marker lights on the car in the photo in this thread, looks good if you ask me.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111612
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 1 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #12

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Jeeezzzze .... we have side markers; we have third brake lights; we have backup cameras; we have back crossing warnings and still the body shops are busier than hell.

Ya think that inattentive drivers might be the problem? As long as they continue to issue licenses to the deaf, dumb, and blind, no amount of lights are going to help.
+Quote Post
draganc
post Oct 1 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 11,000
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 1 2010, 04:47 AM) *

...Ya think that inattentive drivers might be the problem? As long as they continue to issue licenses to the deaf, dumb, and blind, no amount of lights are going to help...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I used to have a motorcycle and ride now about 5-7k mls a year on my bicycle. most of the situation I ran into is because people are on the phone, coffee, make-up and not paying attention.

I have to repaint my car and I'll remove the side marker.
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Oct 1 2010, 12:35 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Oct 1 2010, 05:29 AM) *

QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 30 2010, 05:07 PM) *

Has anyone done this?

Look at the side marker lights on the car in the photo in this thread, looks good if you ask me.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=111612

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing... Not sure if I like it closer to the door or up in the original location but I think that looks pretty sweet!
+Quote Post
montoya 73 2.0
post Oct 1 2010, 02:45 PM
Post #15

Lack of consideration to others, and Selfish!

Member No.: 3,016
Region Association: Central California

I installed early VW type III sidemarkers on mine. They stick out a bit also but they are rectangular rather than a orange hockey puck! I then used some extra strong magnets to cover the old side marker holes with some metal grille badges.

Attached Image

Barrowed this pic from ISP West

VW "ISP West" Link

Attached Image
+Quote Post
bembry
post Oct 1 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

whoa! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
bmtrnavsky
post Oct 1 2010, 02:52 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Oct 1 2010, 01:45 PM) *

I installed early VW type III sidemarkers on mine. They stick out a bit also but they are rectangular rather than a orange hockey puck! I then used some extra strong magnets to cover the old side marker holes with some metal grille badges.

Attached Image

I never considered the Type III marker light... I'll have to take a closer look and see what I like. I really want to get my car painted this winter...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 07:42 PM