Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Love affair from the start, Build thread... She's a runnin!
tscrihfield
post Aug 22 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #41

Drive Fast and Take Chances

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,156
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 18 2011, 11:15 PM) *

Thomas, Thanks for sharing. Really enjoy your narritive and ideas.

Thanks Jim! I try to write it as I would a story. Which is what it is to me... Hopefully it has an ending! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As far as Ideas. I really have a mind that never stops, especially with the car. Glad you like them. I have many more for the car, some of which are going to be shot down by the folks who have strong opinions! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Thomas
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 1 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #42

The last photo I posted of my entire car the suspension was only mocked up. I was still taking measurements for spacers I was making, Struts I modified, rear suspension what nots and the whole bit. Today after spending all morning in ASQ exams I finally did some extensive work to the car. All of the suspension is complete minus brake parts. (Which I am waiting for a large shiment from Wilwood engineering.) The front end is set torsion on the highest setting and this is how low it sits already! I love the raised spindle! The car is still sitting high for what I am looking for but looks great. Im thinking of placing the roof at 40" and calling it the 914-40 like the ol' Ford Gt-40 based on its 40" roofline. Seeing it on its own paws for the first time in a year was pretty exciting. ~Enjoy~

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317524928.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317524928.2.jpg)

In other news on the car... I picked up my seats. I found a set of Bride Low max's a guy was parting with for about 66% off of retail price, so I nabbed them up! They only weigh about 7 lbs a piece which is a plus.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317524929.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317524929.4.jpg)

On the engine... I am about to seal up the case. I have double and triple checked clearances, now it is seal and torque time for that. I will post photos of the engine progress when there is more done.

Cheers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Thomas
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 2 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #43

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

This looks amazing! Keep it up!
+Quote Post
Ericv1
post Oct 2 2011, 07:57 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 8,518
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I plan on a five lug conversion next year. I saw those replicas in a Excellance magazine ad. They look awesome. Keep up the good work.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 3 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #45

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 2 2011, 02:43 AM) *

This looks amazing! Keep it up!

Thanx Ross! You have a couple of nice beauties yourself! Cant wait to see the racecar!

Thomas
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 3 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #46

QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Oct 2 2011, 09:57 AM) *

I plan on a five lug conversion next year. I saw those replicas in a Excellance magazine ad. They look awesome. Keep up the good work.

Thanks!
I love the 5 lug conversion! More wheels to choose from! I do like these 17" wheels a lot I wanted them to set my car apart from most. I think they have accomplished what I had hoped!

+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 3 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #47

Anyway so to follow up the work done on Saturday, Sunday I worked on a friends pickup truck and then test fitted the new bumper, needs minor fitting to look correct but its okay for a test fit. I like the look of the foglight-less bumper, has a clean look.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317677903.1.jpg)

And then to top off everything else, Today I had a christmas moment when I arrived home!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317677904.2.jpg)

Oh I cant wait to start on this install! Hydraulic clutch kit, tandem remote resevoir master cylinder, pedals and calipers (2 more not photo'd). Looks like I'll be busy for the next few weeks eh?

Let me know if anyone is interested in Wilwood P/N's for brake parts. I had to do a lot of measuring to find the ones I wanted. Just in case you want to save some time and benchmark, Im not stingy! I'll share info!

Cheers!

Thomas
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 3 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #48

Well as I am a little impatient at times. I couldnt wait to see what the caliper looked like on the car.... SO... I went and bolted one up.

I love the Wilwood "Peek-a-boo"!

Sorry for the semi rusty rotor... Been sittin in the garage waiting on the caliper and developed a little surface rust! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i163.photobucket.com-12156-1317689119.1.jpg)

Cheers
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 4 2011, 06:20 AM
Post #49

Professional Enthusiast

Those calipers look great! Did you ever consider going to a larger diameter rotor to fill the wheels out more?
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 4 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #50

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 4 2011, 08:20 AM) *

Those calipers look great! Did you ever consider going to a larger diameter rotor to fill the wheels out more?

I actually had planned on 16" rims before I found the 17" beauties! On top of that, I wanted the ease of ordering standard 911 rotors as well. I did look at a few rotor options before the $$ factor killed my inner child. A set of big reds for 17" rims is around $3500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) ... I have about $300 a corner with calipers and rotors. With that I have 9 square inches of pad surface per pad, So I am happy with them.

What brakes are on the race car of yours Ross?

Thomas
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 4 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #51

Professional Enthusiast

They are Volvo big brakes on the front with front 914 calipers relocated to the rear. The wilwoods seem like a much cleaner upgrade though! Can you keep the e-brake?
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 4 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 4 2011, 09:38 PM) *

They are Volvo big brakes on the front with front 914 calipers relocated to the rear. The wilwoods seem like a much cleaner upgrade though! Can you keep the e-brake?

They are really!

You can keep E-Brake if you go with these!
http://wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperList.as...ame=Combination P-Brake

I can machine you a radial mount block and can weld it in. I thought about running them but not sure yet. I havent started installing the rears for that reason!

+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 4 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #53

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Aug 22 2011, 07:11 PM) *

Thanks Jim! I try to write it as I would a story. Which is what it is to me... Hopefully it has an ending! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I predict it will have an ending, followed by a sequel...or several. I'm up to version 4 of my car at this point, 9 years in. Many other folks here have similar 'problems'.

Great work so far. I'm looking forward to following progress!
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 4 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 4 2011, 10:06 PM) *

[
I predict it will have an ending, followed by a sequel...or several. I'm up to version 4 of my car at this point, 9 years in. Many other folks here have similar 'problems'.

Great work so far. I'm looking forward to following progress!

Exactly what I am thinking the further I dig into this rabbit hole! I really need to own about three of these cars. One for Race use, One for street use, and one to make completly unusable for both due to power and weight! That is my goal! So I guess the ending will be the gravestone for me!

Thanks Chris! BTW LOVE the new rendition of your ride. I have followed yours since before you had the FG hood. I had your Flikr account bookmarked when I still lived at home with the folks. You have a very nice ride indeed!

Thomas
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 06:17 AM
Post #55

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Oct 4 2011, 09:44 PM) *

They are really!

I can machine you a radial mount block and can weld it in. I thought about running them but not sure yet. I havent started installing the rears for that reason!

Having an e-brake would be nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ! I need to secure another garage space first though!
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 5 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #56

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 5 2011, 08:17 AM) *

QUOTE(tscrihfield @ Oct 4 2011, 09:44 PM) *

They are really!

Having an e-brake would be nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ! I need to secure another garage space first though!

Haha... Which one needs to bunk? Whitey won't mind a friend. Let me know.
+Quote Post
veltror
post Oct 5 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 8,978

Nice, nice
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Oct 5 2011, 01:25 PM
Post #58

Professional Enthusiast

I may take you up on that If I don't get something figured out before winter. Apollo is in a friends garage right now, but they want the garage back once the hard freezes come.
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 5 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(rnellums @ Oct 5 2011, 03:25 PM) *

I may take you up on that If I don't get something figured out before winter. Apollo is in a friends garage right now, but they want the garage back once the hard freezes come.

Sounds good. If you want to lets try to before any snow starts! LOL....

Anyway, just let me know man! Oh and I hope you have a cover! A lot of work is going to go on this winter!!!

Thomas
+Quote Post
tscrihfield
post Oct 5 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(veltror @ Oct 5 2011, 12:51 PM) *

Nice, nice

Thanks!

+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 06:15 PM