Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Opinions on Stalling...Sputtering?
kenshapiro2002
post Oct 8 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,598
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Some of you have followed my travails. When I got Pickle a year ago she was stuttering and backfiring on the way home and it turned out to be a cracked rotor. Since then I have rebuilt the Webers, new SS fuel lines, new fuel pump, new fuel filters ,etc.

Well, she backfires occasionally , usually on even throttle when under some stress (going up a hill). Today, after throwing her through some severe twisties, she started backfiring horribly, then started to stall, and died. I opened up the distributor and wiped off the end of the rotor while looking for cracks. She fired right up and ran home perfectly...purring. I don't think the distributor had anything to do with fixing her, but not sure.

Almost seems to do with tossing her around. Float sticking? Dislodging crud (tank was clean...new filters, etc.) No freakin' idea really.

???
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 43)
SirAndy
post Nov 3 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #41

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 3 2010, 04:30 PM) *
OK...is blowing smoke up my ass...I mean exhaust...a decent way to find it?

Yes. Just remember that some of the valves will be open, so whatever you blow in there better not be bad for your drive train. Some people use a shop-vac run in reverse, but i'd be afraid to get all kinds of dirt blown into my cylinders that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 3 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #42

Thanks.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 3 2010, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 3 2010, 04:30 PM) *
OK...is blowing smoke up my ass...I mean exhaust...a decent way to find it?

Yes. Just remember that some of the valves will be open, so whatever you blow in there better not be bad for your drive train. Some people use a shop-vac run in reverse, but i'd be afraid to get all kinds of dirt blown into my cylinders that way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)

+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 10 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #43

Well...filled her up and added a half can of Valvoline Water Evaporater. She's MUCH better....could only get her to back fire once. Same circumstances...applying light throttle after a steady throttle . Did it before she was warmed up too (Webers...no choke...chilly out). Usually she'll do this a dozen times on a similar twenty mile journey. I'm thinking (fingers crossed) that she may be "healed".
+Quote Post
type47
post Nov 10 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #44

Viermeister

Member No.: 994

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 10 2010, 10:39 AM) *

... I'm thinking (fingers crossed) that she may be "healed".

They have a way of teasing you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Like I said in another post, only miles will tell...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:16 AM