Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Webber twin carburetor, gas pedal / accelerator cable
914itis
post Oct 10 2010, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

Hello everyone, I am a newbie and I am fortunate to find all of you here at this forum to share ideas. I just picked up a 914 with a 1.7 engine. there has been some work done to this babe previously. the gas pedal was stock, I removed it and order a new one from pelicanparts.

I am not sure that the previous owner installed it correctly. I have been looking at some pics and I am more confused than ever. the cross bar is installed facing the front of the car. I have seen some facing the back. for me to make it face the back means that I would have to flip the carbs i think, wiich seens to be the correct eay considering the lenght of the old cable.

can anyone help with some pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 10 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The linkage bar can be on the front or the back. Some prefer one over the other, but either will work. Post some pics of your setup. I'll post some pics of mine later if no one beats me to it.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Oct 10 2010, 09:10 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 10 2010, 10:37 AM) *

Hello everyone, I am a newbie and I am fortunate to find all of you here at this forum to share ideas. I just picked up a 914 with a 1.7 engine. there has been some work done to this babe previously. the gas pedal was stock, I removed it and order a new one from pelicanparts.

I am not sure that the previous owner installed it correctly. I have been looking at some pics and I am more confused than ever. the cross bar is installed facing the front of the car. I have seen some facing the back. for me to make it face the back means that I would have to flip the carbs i think, wiich seens to be the correct eay considering the lenght of the old cable.

can anyone help with some pictures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Thanks Mike. I will in a few.
there is a metal plate atteched to one of the carbs that the cable is attached to. it it was attached to the pasenger side. it did not make any sense to me. going out to take pics now.......
+Quote Post
914itis
post Oct 10 2010, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 10 2010, 11:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 10 2010, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Oct 10 2010, 10:37 AM) *

The pics are in my photobucket: here is the URL http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l638/ppetion/
Thanks

Thanks Mike. I will in a few.
there is a metal plate atteched to one of the carbs that the cable is attached to. it it was attached to the pasenger side. it did not make any sense to me. going out to take pics now.......

I have atteched some pics, thy are not the best as the sun is beaming right on the engine

+Quote Post
914itis
post Oct 10 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

oh well, as one of the members advised me, the carburator has to be flipped so that the crosss link bar is to the back. I disassembled both carbs, removed the intake. In addition I decided to remove the metal plates on top of the engine for a complete restore. I will sand them down and paint them. The intake gasket looks pretty bad, I ordered a new pair. I am also waiting for a new accel cable and carb sync tool.. will keep you guys updated
+Quote Post
Gint
post Oct 11 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #6

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I didn't realize you were putting all of your eggs in one basket. I forgot about this and didn't get a pic taken of my setup. However, there are hundreds of pictures on this site of carb linkage setups. Search is your friend. You'll see pics in these threads with the linkage at the front of the carbs and the back. You can do it either way as I said before. You just have to get creative about how you run the cable and setup the linkage.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=98073&
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107538&
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91165&
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=84598&

A picture of my first 914's linkage setup. I took this same carb and linkage setup off of this car (years later, long story) and put it on my current 914:
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914itis
post Oct 11 2010, 07:56 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Thanks Gint,

I definitely have a better idea of the different way to make this work. on one of the pictires, it looks like that I am missing something.

I have two pipes like mufflers coming up on either sides of the engine with nothing connected to them. I would like to know what they are for, it seems like on one of the pics, there is a vaccum hose connected to it with some kind of air filter.

Help!!!!!~
on the other hand, there is a small hole by the by the engine metal hose like 1/2" coming out that shouts out oil. there is nothing connected to it as well..
Help again..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Oct 11 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #8

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

the setup Gint has is a Redline kit. I run that as well and works perfect

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 03:45 PM