Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fiberglass bumper install
type47
post Oct 10 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Viermeister

Group: Members
Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I did a rear bumper swap; I moved the chrome bumper on the Phoenix Red car and installed it on my new project car and installed a Getty fiberglass bumper on the Phoenix Red car. I'm fortunate to know Rod Rowland (root) who knows how to do just about everything there is a need to know! Anyway, he came over and we did the install. No instructions came with the bumper; when I called Getty on the phone, the person I ordered the bumper from gave me instructions which I relayed to Rod. The bumper comes with fiberglass mounting brackets which need to be fitted to the bumper.
Attached Image
The only problem I see with the brackets is that they use a 6mm bolt for mounting whereas the chrome bumper uses an 8mm. The difference in the size of the bolt hole in the body made us use fender washers and rubber washers to shim and cushion the body. We mounted the brackets to the car so that we could fit the bumper to the car.
Attached Image
We used a Dremel to trim the bumper to fit the car. The bumper was advertised as a 914-6 GT rear bumper and my car is a 73 so I don't know if there was any difference in the GT application on a 73 but we had to trim the bumper to fit.
Attached Image
Next, Tiger hair Bondo was used to locate the position of the bracket on the inside of the bumper. Once the bumper was trimmed to fit the car, we mixed the Tiger Hair Bondo and smeared it on the inside of the bumper where the mounting bracket would be located on the inside of the bumper. Then we taped the bumper to the car and let the Bondo dry.
Attached Image
Once the Bondo was dry, I thought the bracket was pretty solidly mounted to the bumper.
Attached Image
Next we fiberglassed the bracket for reinforcement.
Attached Image
After the fiberglass dried, we mounted the bumper.
Attached Image
I thought it looked pretty good. I didn't determine the weight difference but I'd guess it's at least 25 pounds. The chrome bumper is in good condition with a good bumper top, so that bumper was bolted on the project car with 8mm x 40mm bolts per the PET.
Attached Image
Total cost including bumper, shipping, mounting material was about $300. All that is left is to mount the license plate.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
type47
post Oct 10 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #2

Viermeister

Member No.: 994
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Thanks Rod!
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jaybird840
post Oct 10 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,927
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice writeup! Thanks!
+Quote Post
nsr-jamie
post Oct 11 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #4

914 guy in Japan

Member No.: 8,305
Region Association: None

Cool!!, don't forget your license plate lights...I had to drill those out on my car and fit them....it took me an afternoon to get them in there and also redid a couple of the wire connectors while I was at it.
+Quote Post
brant
post Oct 11 2010, 09:07 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

If my memory serves...
its closer to 11lbs over the chrome mid year style

still a good cost benefit ratio per lb.
and those 11lbs are in the absolutely worst place they could be and thus the best place to shed weight

brant
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 07:55 AM