Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Classified Rules!

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1966 VW Beetle Cal Look Cali car Project Car
rick 918-S
post Oct 14 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #1

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Group: Members
Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I purchased this car from a friend. He purchased the car in California and borrowed my trailer to get it 16 years ago. The car was purchased from an impound lot and did not have a title. My friend went through the trouble of bonding the car and getting a new title from the state of MN.
I painted this car for him 15 years ago He never finished the car or drove it much He would air up the tires and run it a couple times each summer but never really did much with it. A couple years ago he called me and offered the car to me. I jumped on it because I happen to know how nice this car is.

The good:
The color is Bahama Blau. There is no rust. I mean no rust.

The engine was rebuilt 15 years ago and probably has 2000 miles on it. Most of them I put on it. I installed a cherry set of NOS heat exchangers and a new ANSA Exhaust. The heat is not hooked up but I think I have all the parts to complete it. The engine will need a tune up as it sat all summer. I would also change the engine tin with a nicer set. It has some crappy chrome tins on it. I hate them.

The car has a lowered beam.

I installed a new tu-tone seat kit in it and painted and color matched the seat frames to the originals.

I installed new tires on steel wheels with Empi nipple caps and trim rings. The tires are bigs and littles.

I replaced the brake shoes, rebuilt wheel cylinders, and duel master cylinder.

Parts that go with the car:

New headliner, replacement windsheild, New rubber brake hoses to complete the brake system rebuild. New tie rods and I think ball joints. I have a very nice stock steering column with signal stalk and steering wheel to replace the crappy aftermarket wheel and junk stalk. I have a carpet set.

The bad:

This isn't too bad but the left front fender has a small scrape from 15 years of storage.

Nearly the worst:

When my friend bought the car there was a big piece of aluminum bolted across the dash with no gauges. The dash was hacked. My friend tacked in a 914 gauge cluster out of a parts car I had at the time. It looks like shit. Since I have owned the car I scored a dash piece and all the correct gauges and dash trim to put this back to stock.

The worst:

My youngest son was learning to drive a stick shift while I was away. He failed to leave the car in gear after parking it. It rolled down the yard and down a set of 4 conctete steps. It smashed the new ANSA up into the perfect rear apron crushing it.

I have since replaced the ANSA again.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) but have not replaced the rear apron.

The good to fix the bad. I have a couple quarts of the original Chroma One paint I used to paint the car 15 years ago. So all repairs should be easy to match in with the original paint.

I would be really hard pressed to accept much less that $ 7500.00 for this project car. It may sound like alot but this car is located in the middle of the country. If you are east or someplace where rust abounds and you have always wanted a Beetle you will not be disappointed. I can help deliver the car. I have a trailer.

Oh, I will accept 914 trades. I need 2.0 engine,injection, SS heat exchangers, a rusty car is ok as long as it has good parts, interior stuff, etc. The only reason I am selling is to reduce my projects so I can get a couple of my 914's done.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 14 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Couple more photos

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Oct 14 2010, 09:49 PM
Post #3

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Nice visor set. I have a new headliner that goes with the car.

Hacked dash. The Speedo and tach work but look like shit. I have a dash and all the gauges and trim to correct this.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 15 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #4

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I've always thought Cal Look VW's were cool. I'd love to have one. Good for you.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:34 PM