Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Member.. Let the work begin !
914-300Hemi
post Oct 31 2010, 07:52 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,794
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Oct 31 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 12,268
Region Association: None

Soo... With Trick or treating done for another year I fired up the heater and went back out to the garage... I figured for sure I'd be taking off the outer rocker cover and prolly welding in some new metal in the rockers.. but the rest of the body from the outside looks good.. and the battery tray doesnt look too bad, so i figured I'd get away with not having to cut the rear quarter out.... WELL... after poking around a bunch more and sticking a screwdriver into the metal that has all this black tar on it.. i found a hole... a hole that means I wont be driving this car in the spring prolly... Here's some pics...
Hole under the spare tire... no biggie

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Oct 31 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #23

booty fab'd battery tray and support.. the black tar stuff makes it look worse than it is on pictures.. It seems to be pretty solid around here, but I'll know more once the engine is out ( danm i didnt want to do that just yet ) and that tar is all cleaned off.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Oct 31 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #24

Here is the kicker... two pics.. before and after i pulled off a loose piece of rust that was all tar'd over..

soo now it looks like the engine long, perhaps wheel house and inner rocker sections... going to have to cut out the rocker panel on the outside... drop the motor , pull out the rear suspension... as well as fix the rockers and put in stiffners..

I think I'm going to be a pretty decent welder by time this is all done...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Oct 31 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #25

BTW... Thanks again to everyone on here.. I've been reading through past posts for days now and I have a bit more idea where to be looking for stuff and I know now more of what I'm getting myself into... Still tho.. I've wanted a 914 since I was a kid and it looks danm sexy in the garage begging me to work on it... My wife is super supportive of all this which is great...
Its a little daunting to say the least, the ammount of metal work that will need to be done here, but its STILL in better shape than most of the 914's I've looked at.. even if it was a couple grand more..

I hope the boys at Restoration Design are in tomorrow.. I'm gonna pop by I thinks..
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Oct 31 2010, 08:37 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631
Region Association: North East States

Just picked it up and already digging in! I'll be looking forward to your progress, good luck. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom
post Nov 1 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,626

Good luck on your car. Your first 914 and you are learning already, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . The next 914 you want to buy, if it has tarry stuff in these areas, it is to cover up rust that someone doesn't want you to see --RUN away. I hope you are able to make it into your dream car. Have patience and ask questions here.
Tom
+Quote Post
MrHyde
post Nov 1 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #28

Went up to Guelph and chatted with Mike and Peter at Restoration Design today.. decent guys with lots of knowlege.. and parts too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) looks like my christmas fund will be spent there this year as I'm going to be digging into HELL soon..

Now.. I just gotta sell my motorcycle so I'll have soom to put the eingine when it gets dropped
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th June 2024 - 07:47 AM