Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> not a good afternoon
loco914
post Nov 3 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #1

Thy wheels have left the rail...

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,542
Region Association: None

I was in line at a stop sign and the impatient driver of the Suburban in front of me decided to back up to get out of line. Trailer hitch right in the front license plate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Filed a claim on them, should hear from the adjuster tomorrow....I don't see this going well at all. Looks like a new lid and bumper alone are $2700.00 at AA. That doesn't count what damage is hiding underneath, all the little parts, labor and painting....I'm afraid they will just try to total it. DAMMIT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Nov 3 2010, 09:29 PM
Post #2

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Calling Area 51 for a little "Adjuster Advice"
+Quote Post
914itis
post Nov 3 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256
Region Association: North East States

oooooooooooooooch

sorry about that, I know how u feel
+Quote Post
stewteral
post Nov 3 2010, 09:43 PM
Post #4

Old Member

Member No.: 8,424
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(loco914 @ Nov 3 2010, 08:18 PM) *

I was in line at a stop sign and the impatient driver of the Suburban in front of me decided to back up to get out of line. Trailer hitch right in the front license plate. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Filed a claim on them, should hear from the adjuster tomorrow....I don't see this going well at all. Looks like a new lid and bumper alone are $2700.00 at AA. That doesn't count what damage is hiding underneath, all the little parts, labor and painting....I'm afraid they will just try to total it. DAMMIT! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Hey Loco914,

Damn, sorry for your Grief! The car looked to be PERFECT before. I really like your color. A Suburban in Texas, what a surprise!

Other than being a smart-ass, I had an idea: While the hood is bent, the paint still looks untouched: So how about looking at bending the hood back into shape, carefully and spending the $$ on a new bumper and pulling the panels out.

As good as the car looks, I think you can support a value of $5000 and more. Regardless, you could always "Negotiate" with the adjuster to keep the $$ BELOW the "Totalled" mark.

If you done bodywork before, it can be purely amazing how PULLING on the pushed-in areas can bring things right back into shape. My bottom line: you might be able to get the car repaired cheaply and put some $$ in your pocket!!

Best of luck regardless,
Terry
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 3 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

There's no way they should total that.

Force them to fix your car. They have to regardless of cost.

No horn? I test mine from time to time.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Nov 3 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 129

That sucks man! Don't let them total it. They are responsible to fix it. There are quite a few people here who have been where you are at. They should be able to give you the help you need. You can get it fixed & they will pay for it. Just stick to your guns. Good luck
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Nov 3 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Dammit. These cars are so small compared with the huge SUVs people can't see them at all.

Time to do your homework. Chances are a present day insurance adjuster may not know where to start on your classic sports car.

You need to do some, all, or more of the following:

Get current valuations on the 914 from Excellence mag to show these guys are worth $4K to $16K+.

Get For Sale ads from here, PP showing cars selling for $4K, $8K, $16K for ok, good, and concourse cars.

Get all your receipts including purchase price to show your investment.

Find a local classic Porsche garage who would be willing to give an assessment of what it would take to properly repair the car and give a good valuation of the car. Have the insurance adjuster view the car with the Porsche mechanic.

Good luck.
+Quote Post
loco914
post Nov 3 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #8

Thy wheels have left the rail...

Member No.: 11,542

I will have to keep the do it myself option open, but that is a last ditch option mainly due to work and little room at the hacienda to have a project like that going.

Horn works well, had both hands on it. Top off screaming at the top of my lungs too.

Will spend the morning trying to dig up places to get estimates. Anyone in DFW have a suggestion?

+Quote Post
orange914
post Nov 3 2010, 10:26 PM
Post #9

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

sorry about that... been there too many times.

i'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know but get abunch of comp.s for the adjuster. i found if you do that work for them they really go to bat for you. don't roll over, that car looks way to nice
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Nov 3 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 391

Hummmm, doesn't your head hurt now and isn't your vision blurry........
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 4 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

And if they start giving you problems, then just mention to them your neck and back are starting to hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 4 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #12

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

Go see Richard Fisher at Crest Cadillac, he's got lots of 914 experience.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Nov 4 2010, 08:48 AM
Post #13

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE(underthetire @ Nov 4 2010, 07:16 AM) *

And if they start giving you problems, then just mention to them your neck and back are starting to hurt. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Tell them you just want your 914 back the way it was before THEIR customer hurt it. Also a good time to mention all the head pains (not headaches) you've had since the incident, can't sleep, been loosing focus in the right eye etc.
+Quote Post
jsayre914
post Nov 4 2010, 09:43 AM
Post #14

Speed Up !!!

Member No.: 8,696
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That made my belly hurt. Sorry that happend.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 4 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #15

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

Bad News (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
But
Richard's 914 won the photo award (another post here) at MUSR. He's a paint genius and I imagine he'll know what to do for sure. I don't have his phone but PM me with your info, I live in Bedford, and I'll forward it onto some other DFW people.

NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS! YOUR TEXAS RANGERS PLATE WILL BE TOTALED! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
realred914
post Nov 4 2010, 10:06 AM
Post #16

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

had simualr damage to mine. totaled was the best thing! they paid me about 6 grand (pluds me keeping the 'wreck") a couplke grand to fix teh dents and i am good to go.

get several high bids (take the car to some high end shops) then make an insurance demand. get teh cash for the high bid (or total value of car) make sure you keep the car.
then get it fixed at a lower cost shop, find a used bumper and hood in the want ads 9and you get to pocket the differenace!(consider it pay for your trouble)

you can come out ahead if you do it rght (well not really a head if you count the time spent and heart ache of dealing with it, but at least you wont feel screwed by the insurance and left with a raped car.) hopefully you can end up with a reapired car, and some cash.

remember many insurance will have to pay you fgor a rental car and otehr expensises like lost work time while hunting for a replacement an such, so add that to the value if they deside to total it. tell them it is a reare car and hard to replace and it would require many hours and travel to find a like replacement. that can bump up the price if they do want to total it, it is not like a 2 year old toyota where you can pick up an equivelent car at near any used car lot.

good luck go get them and remeber the insurance game is to make low ball offer hoping you will bite. stick to you guns and get informed (info speaks truth) get used car data, get estimates of how much time / travel it will take to find an equivcelent 914, get several high end bids to fix the car right (including full repaint cuase they can near NEVER match the colors perfect). once you get the bids then let us know how it pans out. PS never accept the other giuys insurance telling you that they dont cover full repaints or color match, that is a BS thing, they may not cover that on their policy holders car, but they are totally liable for a for color match (or full repaint if it cant be matched) if that what it takes to make your damages whole again when they are covering their insureds liability, which is the case here.

good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 4 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #17

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

get a copy of Excellence magazine, the one with the market report about 914 values. share it with the inspector/adjuster. they are typically glad you have something abuot the cars because after estimating only modern cars, most dont have a clue about our cars nor do they know where to look.

NADA
November 04, 2010

PRICING

Original MSRP: $4,649 Low
Retail Average
Retail High
Retail
Base Price $12,600 $14,300 $19,100
TOTAL PRICE $12,600 $14,300 $19,100

+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 4 2010, 10:11 AM
Post #18

Chingon 601

it has not been difficult in teh past to help 914world members get an established value north of $14k
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 4 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #19

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

I was able to easily find comps in the $18K range. Porsche Club of America has a 'valuation' service that established the value in the $11K - $18K range. I found a number of cars for sale in the $18K - $23K range. Combine this with the fact that the body shop owner - Scott Yeaman when asked by the adjuster 'what are these things worth?' told the adjuster that if you can find one in this shape you would be luck to get it for less than $10K. I never had to produce my comps. I also had either a Kelly or NADA "Classic" car book value quite a bit higher than what Sean is quoting.

Your car appears to be in very good condition. Just don't back down.

On a lighter note for me (not for you Texas guys though), are you sure that Suburban wasn't the SF Giants Team Bus? It seems to have kicked the crap out of your Texas Ranger license plate!
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 4 2010, 10:40 AM
Post #20

Chingon 601

"Your car appears to be in very good condition. Just don't back down.!!!

the first offer is just that, an offer.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 05:13 AM