Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sasquatch build thread Part 1, Cosmo Rotary Turbo... Then boom...
cantgo2fast
post Jul 25 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The boost controller is electronic. I played with it last night. I think I got it programmed to 16psi. I need to set my ECU boost cut higher.

I agree the quick tune will work with one person, but I keep finding myself looking at my laptop while driving. It will be easier with someone else driving while I tune.

That turbo is bored at 16psi, that thing is going to be a monster with more boost. You do have to consider the turbo has to hold its airflow up into the 8k+ rpm range so it makes more sense on a rotary. My 16g wont do that but I love full spool by 3400rpm.

Well your on your own for those new fangled electronic ones. It is kinda hard to tune while driving, theres and abandoned airstrip close to my house where I dont have to worry about tuning my street car. My race car usually gets most of its tune done on an engine dyno so all you do is watch the laptop.

I love this build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 25 2011, 08:19 PM
Post #302

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(cantgo2fast @ Jul 25 2011, 12:22 PM) *

That turbo is bored at 16psi, that thing is going to be a monster with more boost. You do have to consider the turbo has to hold its airflow up into the 8k+ rpm range so it makes more sense on a rotary. My 16g wont do that but I love full spool by 3400rpm.

Well your on your own for those new fangled electronic ones. It is kinda hard to tune while driving, theres and abandoned airstrip close to my house where I dont have to worry about tuning my street car. My race car usually gets most of its tune done on an engine dyno so all you do is watch the laptop.

I love this build (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I know it can do way more but the goal was reliable HP, not max HP. I will push to 20psi max and see what I get but it has to be streetable too. The 4" exhaust really help the spool. I think it's at full boost before 4K. I will document it next time I drive it. I wanted to tune tonight but not sure I'll get to it.

I did lucky out over the weekend... The last time I tuned an ECU in the driveway all the exhaust smoke was flowing into the neighbor's window. Over the weekend the exhaust was going there again. They wern't home Yay! They were at a race with thier Miata. No complaints at all. Although all the people in my court knew what I was up to because they heard it.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 27 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #303

Resident Electrician

Took my wife out tuning tonight. All was going well until my BOV blew off. I guess the circlip was not seated all the way. I still have the clip but the O-ring is somewhere on the freeway (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) I will see if my FLAPS has one close to the size tomorrow... Anyone have an extra HKS BOV O-ring?

The car ran pretty good but... There is a stumble where the secondary injectors kick in and I need to add more histerisis (filter of noise) to the throttle signal to prevent surging at cruise.

I found a new tuner shop in Hayward (20 miles) that specializes in Haltech. They just opened and have a dyno. They claim 15 years experiance tuning Haltech. expensive though. $800 for the day or $200 per hour. They tune while I watch. When I get it close I may pay for an hour or two for final adjustments.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 28 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #304

Resident Electrician

Got an O ring from the auto parts store. Going to be tuning again soon. I have to take off the intake snorkel to get the BOV back on. It's mounted to the bottom. I an going to ease the edge of the clip a little to help it seat all the way.

I guess I'm lucky the vacuum hose held on tight...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 29 2011, 08:18 AM
Post #305

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Sucks about the blow off valve!

I bought 2 hours of tuning for my 914 when it was SBC and never regretted it when I ran that setup.
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Jul 29 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #306

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184

That is awesome Mike. I really liked your v8 car when I saw it in Tahoe, can't wait to see and hear this version run.

Keep the updates coming!

Jim
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jul 29 2011, 02:25 PM
Post #307

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

Wooohooo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Nice work
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 30 2011, 08:31 PM
Post #308

Resident Electrician

BOV is back in and the clip is seated. Did some tuning, but I keep fouling my plugs. Partially due to rich mixture and a bad coil. I have decided to ditch the rx7 stuff and go direct spark. I have sourced 3 MSD 6A boxes and now I need to get coils. I plan to stay with wasted spark on the leading plugs and direct on the trailing. Thi way I don't have to source a 4th MSD. I will if I have to. The tuning is pointless until I fix the spark issue. I'm hoping to get back to it this week sometime.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 31 2011, 08:14 PM
Post #309

Resident Electrician

While I'm waiting for parts to show up I gat bored. I decided to make a GT style lid today. I had an extra lid sitting in the garage for a while. It's now painted semi gloss black. It's drying in the garage so pics will come later. I also picked up some Boxster quarters and vents. I may decide to swap the NACA ducts for Boxster Ducts.

I now have 4 MSD 6A boxes and 4 High Output coils on the way. I am going for a direct fire option on my EFI. This should solve all the spark issues. Then tuning can resume.

Pics to come later...
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jul 31 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #310

Resident Electrician

I forgot to mention, I have a rain tray for whoever wants it. It has 2 small cracks, easy fix. Looks almost perfect. Free, but I prefer not to ship it.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 1 2011, 09:08 PM
Post #311

Resident Electrician

Here's pics of my interpretation of a GT lid. I cut windows in the top. I used a 1" punch to cut the corners. I then welded supports on the 2 center window supports. The window supports mimic the original supports under the stock grill. I also cut out the diagonal support. The diamond mesh is bigger than stock but I can live with it. If I decide to keep this style, I can use the mesh from my other lid. Or use this mesh and make a new on from my other lid. I also did not do too much paint prep. The whole car will get blasted next year for paint anyway. I reduced warping while welding with freeze spray. Worked great until I ran out. I used getto freeze spray. Can of compressed air held upside down.

Big thanks to Sir Andy for letting us post more pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 1 2011, 09:13 PM
Post #312

Resident Electrician

Here is the first of 4 MSD boxes. There will be 2 mounted side by side and 2 above. I have designed a simple bracket to float two on top of two. This way I can maximize the real estate. The targa top will still clear everything. The 4 coils will go in the engine bay on the rear firewall, drivers side. It is very crouded in my engine compartment now. Big difference from just the short block mocked up.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 2 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #313

Resident Electrician

2 of 4 MSD boxes in place. The bracket is a simple 1/2"x1/8" bar stock. I used the two taillight housing nut to secure one side. The other corners with self tapping screws...

Waiting for more parts to show up... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 3 2011, 09:24 PM
Post #314

Resident Electrician

All 4 MSD boxes installed. I used a label machine to bust out tags for the boxes and cables. Leading 1 & 2 and Trailing 1 & 2. Now to get it wired and connected to the 4 coils (whenever they show up). I hope this fixes the plug fouling and bad spark problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 7 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #315

Resident Electrician

Got all the MSD boxes installed. As soon as I connected the battery, One of them fried. All the smoke fell out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) My local FLAPS had one so I picked it up today. The company I bought 4 coils from only sent me one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) So I tested several stock coils until I had 4 that "worked". The Car runs better but I have a fuel issuel right as the boost kicks in. If I go WOT at the lead into the boost, it runs great but I have to back off or run into/over traffic. I think the problem is the "accelerator pump" mapping. I just havent figured out which way it needs to be tuned. I know it goes lean during the transition (WB tells me so), but there are 7 different tuning pages for the enrichment. This would be easier on a dyno but I'm not ready to kick down the $$$ yet. I want to get it close so I don't have to pay for a full or multiple days. I can tell you what driving I have done is a shit load of fun. The car has great power and pulls and pulls and pulls. Once it is fine tuned I will have to decide weather to get rid of my H gear. 3000rpm on this engine cruising freeway speeds (75-80mph) is bogging. I think the stock 5th would be better. I hate to pull apart a perfect Dr. Evil approved tranny. But My rear gasket is leaking. It's will come apart at some point either way.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 7 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #316

Resident Electrician

I blew out my turbo flange gasket today. Problably due to my flange bolts coming loose (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) It was a sandwhich type gasket POS. I ordered a new stainless steel gasket to replace. Tuning this setup is a PITA! I know I will bite the bullet and pay for tuning at some point. The only tuners that specialize in both Haltech and Rotarys are all down in SoCal. 7-8 hours away by trailer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Plus $125 per hour. The fee is not to bad but it will take me $400 is gas just to tow it there and back. It does run well enough to tool it around as long as I stay out of the boost. When the boost comes on, the secondary injectors come in and it falls on its face. Going way lean.

I'm going to play with fuel maps more and see if I can get it worked out. Either way I plan to have it to the breakfast next saturday.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Here is my badge (Thanks Jim). It looks cool except for the speckles of tranny oil from my drip.

Attached Image

I use this setup to suck all the air out of my cooling system. Vacuum pump pulls on the storage tank. Storage tank pulls on the closed cooling system. This forces all the air out. I then pinch off the line, remove it from vacuum and put the hose in a tank of water. Then release the clamp and the cooling system sucks water back in. I leave the vacuum sucking for about an hour at a time. I do this every time I run it for a couple of weeks, or more often on a whim. It's kind of anal but my V8 ran between 160-180F. This motor in known for running hot. When you overheat a rotary it's rebuild time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 9 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #317

Resident Electrician

I swapped out some defective coils and my turbo gasket. I found a Haltech Guru (Claudio) that is working with me. He used to work for Haltech and runs his own tuning shop. He's on the east coast. He sent me a remote access program from his site so he can tune my car fom Florida in real time while we communicate via skype. Very cool and the price is very reasonable! Claudio is convinced he can get my car running great without actually touching it. Very cool! I will then have to take it to a dyno and do some minor fine tuning on my own. Our first session is tomorrow after work.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 9 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #318

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

That's awesome Mike! Make sure you have a great internet connection!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Matt
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Aug 9 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #319

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This thread is great. Nice work Mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 10 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #320

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Thats a killer air removal setup!!
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:55 PM