Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sasquatch build thread Part 1, Cosmo Rotary Turbo... Then boom...
Mike Bellis
post Aug 10 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #321

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

My tuning session went very well tonight. We spent 3 hours. Claudio uses software called Team Viewer. Every time I open the program it creates a unique login and password. I give it to him and he can operate my computer from his. Even transfer files. This is the first time he has tuned remotely. I am his test subject. We also used Skype to communicate as well. He said he needed to find a test subject with a good high speed DSL to try this type of support.

I found out my crank trigger is one tooth off. He was able to configure my setup to compensate. Timing is perfect now. He also re-mapped everything I did. The car runs very well. Tomorrow we will adjust the throttle pump circuit and boost mapping. 1-2 more sessions and I will be ready for dyno time. The car now runs better than I had it configured.

Claudio ahs been working with Haltech and Rotarys for 10 years. He actually lives in the Dominican Republic, educated in the states. He even travels back here to tune race cars. Very smart and very nice guy. I would recommend him for tuning to anyone.

Looking forward to driving this to the next WCR and everywhere in between! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 11 2011, 06:26 AM
Post #322

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Awesome Mike! That is really pretty cool!!!!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 11 2011, 08:37 PM
Post #323

Resident Electrician

I got this baby tuned! It works good until 20psi and then my injectors crap out. I never did replace them. Claudio also recommended 2000cc injectors. Big ones! I will now save my nickles and budget some new injectors (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) The car is driveable and I plan to drive it. I will wait to fine tune it on the dyno until I get bigger injectors. I learned a lot about this system. Apparently Haltech does not use VE tables for rotarys. Most other system have setups where you identify engine size, injector size, theoretical VE and some other parameters. The system will then create a base fuel map based on your system. Haltech does not. For rotarys you must build the fuel map correctly or it just won't work right. Every other Haltech system uses VE tables. It has to do with the staged injectors on the rotary. I was told that there are no real rotary guru's working for Haltech anymore. It is a great system with a 32 bit processor. Most others are only 16 bit.

I am very happy with the results so far. Big thank you to Claudio. He can be reached at tuningtechnology@gmail.com If you are considering going to EFI send him a note. I'm sure he will steer you in the right direction.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 11 2011, 09:10 PM
Post #324

Spooling.... Please wait

Enough with the plug! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

How does the power feel? I'd bet 20PSI is about 450HP!
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Aug 11 2011, 09:23 PM
Post #325

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) Right on Mike! All your hard work and $$$$ is paying off!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 11 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #326

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Aug 11 2011, 08:10 PM) *

Enough with the plug! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

How does the power feel? I'd bet 20PSI is about 450HP!

He estimated my hp at 250 @ 10psi. The 20psi number will have to wait for new injectors but I don't think you are to far off. I'm only limited by the amount of fuel I dump in. At 40psi it should be 600-750hp, but I will never run it that high.

This this is way quicker than my V8 and has better throttle response. I can hit 10psi @ 2000 rpm no problem (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) It's all in the amount of throttle I give it.
+Quote Post
JRust
post Aug 11 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #327

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Awesome Mike! Great to hear your driving it again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) . You da man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 13 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #328

Resident Electrician

I took the car on its first voyage today. 50 mile round trip to the 914 breakfast. Car ran great! My new injectors should show up this week, so I hope to get them in and tuned quickly. It's very hard to stay out of the throttle. The car wants to go. Once the injectors are in and tuned, I should see what this thing can really do. For now I keep telling myself that I'm breaking in the clutch, so I have to stay out of the throttle... The next major drive will be to the 914 Family Reunion. If I don't have to tow it home from Sacramento, I will feel more confident with this new power plant. Freeway running is good no surging or wierdness. I do have a little water flow issue. Below 4K rpm the temp get to 200+ if I speed up to 4500 rpm, the temp drops by 20+ degrees. This tells me the RX7 water pump does not have enough flow at low rpm. I will have to install an inline electric pump sooner than later.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 13 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #329

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Damn, I so wanted to ear that motor with that killer looking exhaust system. Next time for sure.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 14 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #330

Resident Electrician

For those that showed up to the breakfast you saw my car covered in specs of rust. This was caused by over zealus grinding and not realizing the car was covered in metal dust. Covered! 9 months of fab and moisture created a nice patina on my white paint. I spent a few hous this weekend wet sanding and polishing the paint. To start with my paint is junk, but It needs to last me for a year before I strip it apart again. It looks great now (relatively). No more rust specs, just chips and cracks now. The crappy race car paint job polished up pretty good.

I also pulled my intake manifold apart to prep for injectors. Glad I did! I found 4 vacuum lines that had blown off from pressure. Most guys that use silicone lines also use a zip tie to hole them secure. Guess what I forgot to put on? I resecured them and added a little blue locktite on the barb as glue before zip tieing them in place.

I also troubleshooted my boost controller. It does not work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) it is connected correctly. Programmed correctly. But alas... it no workie. It always alows me to go to full boost... Up to the point the injector duty cycle cannot keep up 17-20psi. I have decided to ditch the electronic boost controller and go simple. A manual boost controller is on the way. I also plan to use the ECU boost cut to prevent any accidental 30+psi bursts.

Just for fun today I filled up with 100 octane fuel. Good thing I have a small tank! $$$7.38 gallon.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 15 2011, 11:27 PM
Post #331

Resident Electrician

Well I had the car apart for the injector swap and then...

"NOTICE: YOU ARE IN VIOLATION ON CITY CODE. 1) TRAILER PARKED IN DRIVEWAY. 2) VEHICAL REPAIRS WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS. PLEASE CONTACT THE CITY OF SAN RAMON WITHIN 48 HOURS BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9AM AND 9:30 AM."

Yes I was doing that stuff. Trailer in driveway. Car in driveway. I did have a couple of jack stande and a floor jack too. This is not the first time the little old lady c*nt has called the city on me. Fucking Bitch! Husband died and she has nothing to better do. So I have to call the city within the 30 minute window to get hold of somebody... Bullshit...

So I had to slap the intake back together tonight. Quickly! and clean up, power wash, trim bushes, move trailer... etc...

BUT! I did have time to through in the 2000cc injectors. Got it tuned, sort of... WOW! This car hauls ass! All the way to 25psi. I still need to fine tune it a little at boost but... Holy Shit... Boost comes on fast and strong. I can get to full boost way before 4K and it just pulls and pulls. I did not have much time to play tonight but I will tune more tomorrow after work.
+Quote Post
matthepcat
post Aug 16 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #332

Meat Popsicle

Member No.: 11,125

Sorry to hear about the neighbor issue. That is one good thing about living in a slightly redneck neighborhood is people stop by to compliment my car on jack-stands!

So will you dyno-tune the car?

Matt
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Aug 16 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #333

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

That's just a mild violation! You should see what sort of attention you get when you start and run an IMSA Mazda racecar (unmuffled of course) up and down some neighborhood streets to check that things are bolted together correctly before loading it on a trailer to haul it to a racetrack a couple of states over!

Ah, the good old days!
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 16 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #334

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Aug 16 2011, 09:42 AM) *

Sorry to hear about the neighbor issue. That is one good thing about living in a slightly redneck neighborhood is people stop by to compliment my car on jack-stands!

So will you dyno-tune the car?

Matt

I will dyno tune the car as soon as I can finish the custom fuel rails. I did not have a chance to install my 1000cc primary injectors. I only installed the secondaries because they fit in the stock rail. Primaries will not fit.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 16 2011, 02:19 PM
Post #335

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Aug 16 2011, 11:59 AM) *

That's just a mild violation! You should see what sort of attention you get when you start and run an IMSA Mazda racecar (unmuffled of course) up and down some neighborhood streets to check that things are bolted together correctly before loading it on a trailer to haul it to a racetrack a couple of states over!

Ah, the good old days!

This is the second time my neighbor has called the city and told them I'm running an auto repair buisness out of my garage. She also called the Police to complain I was illegally parked in front of my house. She also calls every time I park a trailer in front and tells them it's been there a week. I'm sick and tired of this bitch. I can hardly wait until she moves into a retirement home. I don't wish any ill will on her but I wish she had something better to do with her time.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 16 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #336

Spooling.... Please wait

Eeek. Sorry to hear mike! Im glad my neighbors like me, because it really LOOKS like im running an auto buisness from my garage! Always in there painting or sanding or making noise (I always turn off the compressor at 10pm though and if I can I keep the garage door closed).

Also I cant wait to see the numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mikey63
post Aug 16 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #337

Member No.: 11,529

Next time she complains about the trailer, let the cops mark it for the 72 hour move it or it gets a ticket, move it on day two to infront of her house and see how she likes that. I was in the same boat when I was younger with the ahole that lived across the street from me. I played this game for about 3 months and after awhile he gave up and found someone else to piss off.

Mike
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 16 2011, 04:17 PM
Post #338

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(mikey63 @ Aug 16 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Next time she complains about the trailer, let the cops mark it for the 72 hour move it or it gets a ticket, move it on day two to infront of her house and see how she likes that. I was in the same boat when I was younger with the ahole that lived across the street from me. I played this game for about 3 months and after awhile he gave up and found someone else to piss off.

Mike

It's already parked in front of her house! Not much choice though. I live in the back house in a court. She is next door. There are two car lengths betewwn my driveway and hers.
+Quote Post
mikey63
post Aug 16 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 11,529

Sorry to hear that...maybe find out if she likes to drink or why she has a problem with your hobbie/addiction.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Aug 20 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #340

Resident Electrician

I tracked down my overboost problem to the Wastegate. It does not open, or not enough. I instaled a 6psi spring and it still will not open. I'm going to take it all apart to see what is going on.

Todasy I spent the day cleaning my side yard and dump runs. I've been collecting to much stuff. My trailer now sits in my side yard and off my driveway.

Tomorrow I am taking the car out to Euro Sunday in Walnut Creek. After that I'm going fore an amssage with my wife.

I'm beat... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/head_hurts_kr.gif)

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 15 16 17 18 19 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:46 PM