Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Official Sasquatch build thread Part 1, Cosmo Rotary Turbo... Then boom...
Mike Bellis
post Dec 12 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #41

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 12 2010, 01:17 PM) *

Holy Shit, 2000CC? how many do you use? for the A4, 4ea 1k CC injectors an push 700hp..

HKS boost controller? Which one? We have an Apexi AVC-r boost controller on the 951 and the A4. Old technology but it works like a dream..

2000cc were recommended by TurBlown. The company that recently made a 650hp street driven WRX STI that runs a Benz Kompressor and a BIG turbo sequencialy. The Rotary runs 4 of them at 50% duty cycle. I thought they sound big as well. But I derfer to the expert on this one. They also recommended the Turbo choice. I should also mention that these engines typically run only 35psi of fuel and not 45psi. The stock engine runs 2 x 1600cc and 2 x 850cc injectors. I could make my HP number with the stock injectors but they would be at the limit of their duty cycle. Remember injectors are rated at 100% duty cycle @ 45psi.

My boost controller is the HKS EVC 5
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Dec 12 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #42

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 12 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Holy Shit, 2000CC? how many do you use? for the A4, 4ea 1k CC injectors an push 700hp..

HKS boost controller? Which one? We have an Apexi AVC-r boost controller on the 951 and the A4. Old technology but it works like a dream..

2000cc were recommended by TurBlown. The company that recently made a 650hp street driven WRX STI that runs a Benz Kompressor and a BIG turbo sequencialy. The Rotary runs 4 of them at 50% duty cycle. I thought they sound big as well. But I derfer to the expert on this one. They also recommended the Turbo choice. I should also mention that these engines typically run only 35psi of fuel and not 45psi. The stock engine runs 2 x 1600cc and 2 x 850cc injectors. I could make my HP number with the stock injectors but they would be at the limit of their duty cycle. Remember injectors are rated at 100% duty cycle @ 45psi.

very nice, keep us up to date. and take a butt load of pictures (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 12 2010, 08:59 PM
Post #43

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 12 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Hmm I guess that explains the injectors a little bit... As a comparison, I am running 440CC injectors on my car, stock is 200 or less IIRC. If I raised my boost to 25psi and ran ~ 375hp I would be maxing out my injectors. Its just crazy to me how much over and beyond these rotary engines are compared to your typical piston engine.. But like i've told you, I really dont know much about the rotary engines. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

To be perfectly honest, it sounds to me like you have a combination that could easily be pushed to 600+hp @ ~ 25-30psi.. NOT that thats a bad thing!! Just say goodbye to your Trani if you ran to those numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

That should be a fun boost controller!

+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 12 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #44

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 12 2010, 06:59 PM) *

To be perfectly honest, it sounds to me like you have a combination that could easily be pushed to 600+hp @ ~ 25-30psi.. NOT that thats a bad thing!! Just say goodbye to your Trani if you ran to those numbers (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

That should be a fun boost controller!

If I pull it apart and port it, swap the seals, then pump up the boost... I could get 700hp out of it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) I have no intention of looking for that number. I want to keep it driveable with the occasional stupid attack (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) The key here is to be able to drive it like a DD. I used to drive my V8 to work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

When a turbo is used on these engines, it is not worth pulling apart a good engine just to port it. The HP gain is not worth the trouble. Without a turbo, it is worth the gain.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 12 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #45

Resident Electrician

Oh, I forgot...

Here are some pics for Oldschool...
Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 13 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #46

Spooling.... Please wait

Is that an HTA compressor side? If so, SWEET!! Glad you went that route! I hear NOTHING but great things with that new technology...

Not a big fan of bling though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 13 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #47

Resident Electrician

This pic is for Andrew. It shows the chosen turbo (GT35R) and the performance window the enigine is tuned towards.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Dec 14 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #48

Spooling.... Please wait

Not bad, A little low for the turbo size, but still not that bad.. You probably could have bennifited from a smaller turbo with more boost...

Still not a bad matchup.

Is it an HTA compressor side? It sure looks like it..
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 18 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #49

Resident Electrician

Quick update... Home refi has slowed down my purchase power but here's some update pics...

Working on my cradle. 1.25 square tubing 0.120 wall. Waiting for my adapter plate and flywheel before final fab.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

My new license plates... 914 TT Originally the engine was a twin turbo. I decided to go single turbo. Now I need help deciding what TT means... Any ideas? BTW, 914 T was already taken
Attached Image
+Quote Post
strawman
post Jan 19 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 8,624
Region Association: Central California

Lookin' good Mike! At the rate I've been going lately, you'll have your car on the road before mine... keep up the good work!
+Quote Post
mikey63
post Jan 19 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 11,529

How about (TT) TURBO TRANSFORMATION!
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Jan 19 2011, 02:56 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 18 2011, 08:05 PM) *

Quick update... Home refi has slowed down my purchase power but here's some update pics...

Working on my cradle. 1.25 square tubing 0.120 wall. Waiting for my adapter plate and flywheel before final fab.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

My new license plates... 914 TT Originally the engine was a twin turbo. I decided to go single turbo. Now I need help deciding what TT means... Any ideas? BTW, 914 T was already taken
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
Nice! Turbo Too!

-Robert
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Jan 19 2011, 08:12 PM
Post #53

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Jan 19 2011, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 18 2011, 08:05 PM) *

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
Nice! Turbo Too!

-Robert

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) One day us Rotary dude will all hang out.....when we get our car up and running (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
914Timo
post Jan 22 2011, 01:28 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 137
Region Association: Europe

Could you show more pics about the front lights in the first pic. They look very interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Jan 22 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #55

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(914Timo @ Jan 22 2011, 11:28 AM) *

Could you show more pics about the front lights in the first pic. They look very interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Check out this thread...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=106380
+Quote Post
roadster fan
post Jan 22 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #56

Project Frankenstein !!!!!!!!

Member No.: 5,184

Looking Good! surfer dudes would call it Totally Turbo, dopers would call it Tweaked Turbo, JDM guys probably Tuned Turbo.

You will come up with something clever. Keep postin pics!

Jim
+Quote Post
thenewwazoo
post Feb 16 2011, 01:00 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 10,883

Just found your build - it looks nice! A few thoughts from someone who knows a little about rotaries...

2000cc primaries are HUGE. You may well find that you have trouble making it idle with primaries that big - that's why Mazda and most aftermarket setups use smaller primaries, and large secondaries. The bigger the "jump", the harder it is to tune the transition, but the better your idle will be. I used to run 1600cc secondaries for my big-turbo setups. You do need big secondaries for big power, tho - the BSFC of rotaries is pretty high, even compared to turbo boingers.

The GT35R is a good turbo, though I agree you'll be understressing it. Some would say not using it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) It's certainly a better choice than trying to use the 13B-RE's stock twin setup. It's complex and flaky at best, though the 13B-REW's setup is even worse. If you decide to go full-on crazy, a not-too-uncommon setup is with parallel twins, using one per exhaust port. What's your turbo's hotside A/R?

You haven't mentioned it yet, so in case you don't know it, you'll need to either use a pre-89 metering oil pump setup (and, iirc, the pre-88 13B front cover), or premix your fuel like a 2-stroke.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 16 2011, 09:39 AM
Post #58

Resident Electrician

QUOTE(thenewwazoo @ Feb 15 2011, 11:00 PM) *

Just found your build - it looks nice! A few thoughts from someone who knows a little about rotaries...

2000cc primaries are HUGE. You may well find that you have trouble making it idle with primaries that big - that's why Mazda and most aftermarket setups use smaller primaries, and large secondaries. The bigger the "jump", the harder it is to tune the transition, but the better your idle will be. I used to run 1600cc secondaries for my big-turbo setups. You do need big secondaries for big power, tho - the BSFC of rotaries is pretty high, even compared to turbo boingers.

The GT35R is a good turbo, though I agree you'll be understressing it. Some would say not using it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) It's certainly a better choice than trying to use the 13B-RE's stock twin setup. It's complex and flaky at best, though the 13B-REW's setup is even worse. If you decide to go full-on crazy, a not-too-uncommon setup is with parallel twins, using one per exhaust port. What's your turbo's hotside A/R?

You haven't mentioned it yet, so in case you don't know it, you'll need to either use a pre-89 metering oil pump setup (and, iirc, the pre-88 13B front cover), or premix your fuel like a 2-stroke.

I was thinking about down sizing the injectors too. They will be a little hard to control in low rpm. I will most likely go with 800/1600 since I can hit my HP goal just fine.

My hotside A/R is .82 so it should spool quickly. I looked at doing dual turbos but asside from the "BLING" factor, I couldn't see the need for the complexity. The cheapest dual turbo manifold I found was around $800. I'm using the KISS method and staying with a single turbo.

As for the OMP. I ordered an electronic OMP controller from www.eomp.info A guy name Jason builds them to control the OMP's stepper motor. I am also using a Rotary Aviation OMP bypass to run 2-stroke oil from a seporate tank. I will however pre mix during EFI tuning just to be safe. I do have an 89 OMP and front cover just in case my plans fail.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Feb 17 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #59

Resident Electrician

Got my V Band exhaust clamps in... 4 INCHES!!! These things are big! I can slide it up my arm almost to my shoulder.

My turbo oulet is 3" going to a 4" reducer to the first V Band. Then a flex and the exhaust will continue to the Aero Turbine muffler 4040XL, then a simple turn down.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 17 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #60

Spooling.... Please wait

NICE! I love Vband clamps. 4" is Biiiig Are you going to keep it 4"?
muffler?
+Quote Post

20 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:15 PM