Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More about bump steer, than I ever really wanted to know
Brett W
post Nov 30 2010, 10:59 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

That design is still pretty scary. You still have a pretty large moment arm on the mounting stud for the tie rod end. You would have been better off adding another arm lower on the knuckle so you would have put the tie rod in Double shear. Its much stronger.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Larry.Hubby
post Dec 1 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #22

Member who doesn't post much, but has a long time in 914s

Member No.: 3,172
Region Association: Northern California

Brant,

The factory shop manual tells you to determine the ride height by measuring the distance, “b”, in the drawing below:

Attached Image

Where “b” is measured from the ground to the center of the “closing cover on the adjusting lever of the torsion bar”, and to set “b” to 225mm + or – 5mm. As you can see from the drawing, b = a – 90mm. As far as the steering geometry, and the bump steer in particular, are concerned, only the spatial relationship among the strut, suspension arm, and tie rod is significant, and this depends on only the 90mm dimension. The dimension, “a”, is simply the rolling radius of whatever tire that particular car happens to be running, and heaven knows, changing that from whatever it was to something else is practically everybody on this board’s favorite trick. If you change “a”, the entire picture above simply moves up or down, but the suspension geometry doesn’t change. So, to use this method of setting the ride height, as essentially everyone who aligns wheels on our cars does, one really needs to take the tire size into consideration, but I suspect that often this is not done. This is the reason I specified the ride height independent of the tire size difference in the original post. The factory manual actually takes a = 315mm as an example, which is close to what you would calculate for the 78 series 165 x 15 tires that most 914’s were delivered with, and then calculates the 225mm dimension by subtracting 90mm from it. When we lower our cars, the change that really matters is that we increase the 90mm by some amount. In the case of my car, this dimension is 57mm, or 2.25”, larger. Every time you change this dimension, you have to adjust the tie rod length to reset the toe to the correct value, and the bump steer characteristics, as well as the optimum rack spacer thickness and/or tie rod end drop for that situation, all change.

Hope this helps.

+Quote Post
Larry.Hubby
post Dec 1 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #23

Member who doesn't post much, but has a long time in 914s

Member No.: 3,172

Andy,

I'd calculate a series of the optimum tie rod end drops vs amount of lowering for you if I still had access to the program, but I don't. After thinking about it for a while, I can tell you that the offhanded number I gave you before, .875", for a car lowered as much as mine, but with dropped tie rod ends only, is much too low (sorry 'bout that). The number for a stock 914 is 1.125" and a lowered car should need MORE, not less correction.

+Quote Post
KaptKaos
post Dec 1 2010, 01:30 AM
Post #24

Family

Member No.: 607
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great write up!

I think the ride height was set at the factory in order to comply with US laws for the minimum height of the headlights. Would that have accounted for part of the bump-steer problems?

I have spacers on my rack, which were installed when I put in turbo tie-rods.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Dec 1 2010, 10:43 AM
Post #25

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) with interest
+Quote Post
brant
post Dec 1 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

awesome
thank you!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jul 10 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,986

Great thread; found this while searching for steering rack spacers vs tie rod spacers.

Please add to the classics threads
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jul 11 2017, 10:36 AM
Post #28

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(jmitro @ Jul 10 2017, 06:57 PM) *
Please add to the classics threads

Done and done ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Jul 11 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #29

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Terrific information: from stock, how much may the front ( street car only) be lowered before having to do more than a realignment ?
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Jul 12 2017, 08:02 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 18,986

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 11 2017, 06:54 PM) *

Terrific information: from stock, how much may the front be lowered before having to do more than a realignment ?

good question; I may eventually purchase a bump steer gauge to determine the bump steer if I lower the car quite a bit.

Another question is...how much bump steer (if any) is desirable? maybe it depends on the intended use of the car - street vs autox vs track?

in my old BMW E36 racecar, I bought a bumpsteer gauge and dialed out any bumpsteer at all with tie rod spacers.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 12 2017, 08:39 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Great thread allthough without discussion of the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

Ackerman effect it makes more sense in the real world. Goes back to the horse and buggy days.

With the toe changes and hard cornering some bumpster IS desirable which is what I.ll add.

It is interesting later in the thread about what happens when we lower our cars....so they look cool.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:40 PM