Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> DOT approval- Any one really know the rules when it comes to, Turn signal lenses
hwgunner
post Dec 3 2010, 10:05 PM
Post #1

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,095
Region Association: None

So, I have a question. Wat are the DOT rules when it comes to NEW turn signal lenses. If an item is DOT approved does it have to say "DOT" on it?? I know that some parts can be DOT approved with out saying DOT on them. An example are the Troutman SS Brake lines. They have a logo that they stamp in the flats of the hose ends and this logo is registerd with the DOT and denotes a product that has passed the DOT testing. Are lenses the same or different? I ask because I got a lens that is suposed to be OEM but does not say DOT on it and does not have the manufacturers name on it. There are a few markings on the lens like a small square w/ an "A" in it and a circle with "E1" in it and a string of numbers I can not remember below that. Like I said this is a NEW lens and is suposed to be OEM. I got a Genuine lens for the other side and it has the manufacturers name on it along with "DOT" and some other marking. The 2 lenses also differ a little in color and in the thickness of the "Black Frame" around the edge. The one without the DOT marks says made in Germany on the box and the onw with the DOT marks says made in the Checz republic. Any ideas?? Sorry for the ramble. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
marks914
post Dec 4 2010, 06:33 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,912

Front or rear?

DOT approval stamping is supposed to be on all lenses if they are indeed legal> Yes, this is true< I have designed many exterior lamps and the supplier always wants to put the legal stuff in the worst possible place. The writing must also be right-side up, meaning you cannot have a lens that is the same for left and right unless it stays in the same orientation.
As for what makes it DOT approved, thats a whole different ball of wax. If its a replacement part, it should have the same light output, light able area, lit angles that apply and red side reflex(rear) amber (front) if a US vehicle in not remote on the body. If your are not a major OEM supplier, I wouldn't worry about it for yourself, but if something happens to someone else, and they are not indeed certified DOT legal, you will get sued to the poor house, but thats why you have product liability insurance right?
Mark
+Quote Post
realred914
post Dec 5 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #3

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

the rules would be with the DOt probably very complicated at that, for new lenses, that would be for new cars, for you old car any "new" lenses would need to comply with the rules in place for your car when it was new.

for the marking on the lense, dont worry so long as the lense has about the right color and brightness no one will tiocket you for missing the DOT printing on it. sure it may be points off in a car show, but so long as they look about right to the average cop, I would not worry about being DOT complient or not. the rules the DOT has are very draconian, and burocratic, but so long as the light looks right I'd have no worries abot your "black market" lense.

the DOT is now proposing rules to require jammers for cell phone use in cars. no mention on how they intend to deal with passengers use of phones. got to love the government. soon are cars will be more complex than the Apollo moon ship
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 5 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #4

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 5 2010, 07:56 AM) *

soon are cars will be more complex than the Apollo moon ship

They already are. NASA only had about 500MB of computing power...

In California, I would not worry about your lens DOT status. The only agency that would possibly inspect for it a the Highway Patrol and they have bigger issues to deal with. California only cares about Smog Check Money.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 5 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #5

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 5 2010, 09:23 AM) *

California only cares about Smog Check Money.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Dec 5 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #6

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643
Region Association: Southern California

I recently read an opinion regarding DOT regulations for motorcycle muffers. It sounded like the regulations pertain mainly to manufactures and not so much to what an owner might do to change the original equipment.
Since DOTs are mainly Federal in nature, local authorities aren't directly interested.
Having said that, there are still state regulations that insure safety, and there are penalties for those violations.
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 6 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(marks914 @ Dec 4 2010, 04:33 AM) *

Front or rear?

DOT approval stamping is supposed to be on all lenses if they are indeed legal> Yes, this is true< I have designed many exterior lamps and the supplier always wants to put the legal stuff in the worst possible place. The writing must also be right-side up, meaning you cannot have a lens that is the same for left and right unless it stays in the same orientation.
As for what makes it DOT approved, thats a whole different ball of wax. If its a replacement part, it should have the same light output, light able area, lit angles that apply and red side reflex(rear) amber (front) if a US vehicle in not remote on the body. If your are not a major OEM supplier, I wouldn't worry about it for yourself, but if something happens to someone else, and they are not indeed certified DOT legal, you will get sued to the poor house, but thats why you have product liability insurance right?
Mark

Thank you Mark, that was to the point and what i was looking for. to the others I do not care about California, I wanted to know if a DOT approved lens had to have "DOT" printed on the lens. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
904svo
post Dec 6 2010, 10:38 AM
Post #8

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

Lens used in the US must have DOT or SAE mark on them. It means they meet the minimum light requirements for safety requirements. The inspector check my lights on my kit car for approved lights.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Dec 6 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 5 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Around the time my Dad bought his first Saab (circa 1986), I remember a Saab ad touting that their cars had more computing power than Apollo capsules had. So apparently we crossed that line quite a while ago.

On another note... I'm wondering how the DOT certification relates to state-by-state regulations on vehicle lighting requirements. When I changed over to Euro-style tail light lenses, I did some research on local (State) regulations.

States specify the number of tail-lights for each function (signal, brake, lighting, license plate illumination), the acceptable colors for each, etc. Does DOT certification mean that a lens satisfies the various statutes of all 50 states? Or are they unrelated?
+Quote Post
70_914
post Dec 6 2010, 11:06 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 11,096
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 5 2010, 08:02 PM) *

I recently read an opinion regarding DOT regulations for motorcycle muffers. It sounded like the regulations pertain mainly to manufactures and not so much to what an owner might do to change the original equipment.
Since DOTs are mainly Federal in nature, local authorities aren't directly interested.
Having said that, there are still state regulations that insure safety, and there are penalties for those violations.

The state of California just passed a regulation stating that all vehicles manufactured after 2013 need to have DOT legal mufflers. 99% of aftermarket mufflers are not DOT approved so changing your factory muffler to an aftermarket one is going to be illegal. Mufflers are a completely different situation though...

Regulations are different in every state and change all the time. If you ask a law enforcement officer they will not answer your questions with anything other than referring you to your states regulations. Here in Washington it is the RCW and I check online before I make any questionable changes to anything.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Dec 6 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #11

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 6 2010, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 5 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Around the time my Dad bought his first Saab (circa 1986), I remember a Saab ad touting that their cars had more computing power than Apollo capsules had. So apparently we crossed that line quite a while ago.

On another note... I'm wondering how the DOT certification relates to state-by-state regulations on vehicle lighting requirements. When I changed over to Euro-style tail light lenses, I did some research on local (State) regulations.

States specify the number of tail-lights for each function (signal, brake, lighting, license plate illumination), the acceptable colors for each, etc. Does DOT certification mean that a lens satisfies the various statutes of all 50 states? Or are they unrelated?

All states will accept DOT (Early years) or SAE (latter years) lights.
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 6 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #12

the rules would be with the DOt probably very complicated at that, for new lenses, that would be for new cars, for you old car any "new" lenses would need to comply with the rules in place for your car when it was new.

for the marking on the lense, dont worry so long as the lense has about the right color and brightness no one will tiocket you for missing the DOT printing on it. sure it may be points off in a car show, but so long as they look about right to the average cop, I would not worry about being DOT complient or not. the rules the DOT has are very draconian, and burocratic, but so long as the light looks right I'd have no worries abot your "black market" lense.

the DOT is now proposing rules to require jammers for cell phone use in cars. no mention on how they intend to deal with passengers use of phones. got to love the government. soon are cars will be more complex than the Apollo moon ship

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Please read the thread before responding. The question was do DOT approved lenses (front) have to have "DOT" on them?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Please do not use my threads to espouse your political opinions.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 6 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #13

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

DOT means DOT...just like the TUV approved.
No stamp or logo means its not approved.

ILBT

Rich
+Quote Post
realred914
post Dec 6 2010, 12:06 PM
Post #14

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 6 2010, 09:44 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Please read the thread before responding. The question was do DOT approved lenses (front) have to have "DOT" on them?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Please do not use my threads to espouse your political opinions.

i tried to answer your question, your welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

there is no political opinion here, just the facts, to bad you dont like the facts. now sanatize your eyes cuase you read this highly off topic post on YOUR thread.

what an ungreatful boy you is now go start your rag on red post. have at it baby.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 6 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #15

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 6 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Around the time my Dad bought his first Saab (circa 1986), I remember a Saab ad touting that their cars had more computing power than Apollo capsules had.

That sounds about right.

Interesting fact:
*All* of mission control combined (not just the capsule!) during the moon landing had about the same computing power as a Commodore C64...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/upload.wikimedia.org-179-1291659029.1.jpg)

As for the DOT stamping, if it's missing, the lenses are not street legal in the US. Simple as that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 6 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(realred914 @ Dec 6 2010, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 6 2010, 09:44 AM) *

i tried to answer your question, your welcome. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

there is no political opinion here, just the facts, to bad you dont like the facts. now sanatize your eyes cuase you read this highly off topic post on YOUR thread.

what an ungreatful boy you is now go start your rag on red post. have at it baby.

Please show me where you answered the question! Do the lenses have to be marked DOT to be DOT approved? Not answered. Then your comment about the fact that you think the DOT rules are Draconian is just an opinion. The bit about no one caring as long as they are close is also an opinion. Not to mention the fact that I asked nicely. I just wanted some facts.
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Dec 6 2010, 01:42 PM
Post #17

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 6 2010, 12:57 PM) *

DOT means DOT...just like the TUV approved.
No stamp or logo means its not approved.

Yup, been thinking about going "naked" on my Ninja 500R with a pair of small headlights replacing the automotive style single light. Unfortunately all the lights I like are non-DOT.
+Quote Post
flipb
post Dec 6 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Are the AA Repro Euro tail light lenses DOT approved? I'm afraid I know the answer, but they're already on my teener and I like them...

(My car's at the shop so I can't check them myself)
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 6 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 6 2010, 11:50 AM) *

Are the AA Repro Euro tail light lenses DOT approved? I'm afraid I know the answer, but they're already on my teener and I like them...

(My car's at the shop so I can't check them myself)

I have no idea.
+Quote Post
Matt Meyer
post Dec 6 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #20

Überlurker

Member No.: 1,411
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

S5.8.10 Unless otherwise specified in this standard, each lamp,
reflective device, or item of associated equipment to which paragraph
S5.8.1 applies may be labeled with the symbol DOT, which shall
constitute a certification that it conforms to applicable Federal motor
vehicle safety standards.

The Federal Standard 59CFR571.108 S5.8.10 (above) says "may" which implies the DOT marking is NOT manditory.

Note Headlamps are required to be marked with DOT in paragraph S7.2.

CFR is here: 59CFR571.108.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 12:56 PM