Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throttle body supplemental spring / stiff gas pedal
sfrenck
post Dec 5 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,411
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just started driving my "project" ('73 2.0L with 74' F.I. setup) up and down the block for my preliminary road test. One thing I noticed, and my 79 yr. old father really noticed, was the gas pedal was very stiff.

I have already replaced the plastic bushings in the pedal cluster with the brass rebuild kit. Tonight, I disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and confirmed the cable / pedal was not the issue. It seems that the supplemental spring on the throttle body is the culprit.

Is there a different, easier spring that I can install or is a stiff gas pedal just part of the normal Porsche engineering? Or, should I look for a '73 throttle body without the supplemental spring?

Thanks - Scott
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1988Hawk
post Dec 5 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,929
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 5 2010, 07:00 PM) *

Just started driving my "project" ('73 2.0L with 74' F.I. setup) up and down the block for my preliminary road test. One thing I noticed, and my 79 yr. old father really noticed, was the gas pedal was very stiff.

I have already replaced the plastic bushings in the pedal cluster with the brass rebuild kit. Tonight, I disconnected the throttle cable from the throttle body and confirmed the cable / pedal was not the issue. It seems that the supplemental spring on the throttle body is the culprit.

Is there a different, easier spring that I can install or is a stiff gas pedal just part of the normal Porsche engineering? Or, should I look for a '73 throttle body without the supplemental spring?

Thanks - Scott

Make sure that the pedal board is not interfering with the pedal action, move the board as far right as you can.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 5 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(1988Hawk @ Dec 5 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Thanks - Scott

Make sure that the pedal board is not interfering with the pedal action, move the board as far right as you can.

Not the pedal board... either the spring is the problem or the butterfly/axle itself.
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 5 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #4

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 5 2010, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(1988Hawk @ Dec 5 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Thanks - Scott

Not the pedal board... either the spring is the problem or the butterfly/axle itself.

I've got a spare 75 1.8 supplemental spring that you can have to use or compare.
Is it still stiff without it? If the car has been sitting for a long time, the throttle body butterfly may have some corrosion or buildup on it that is dragging.

Kevin

+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Dec 5 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #5

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

There is a steel piano hinge in the OEM pedal that could have rusted. Try working it back and forth for 5-10 min. You may just be able to achieve an acceptable level of resistance than way.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 6 2010, 07:40 AM
Post #6

Not anything to do with the pedal cluster... action is fine when the throttle cable is disconnected from the throttle body @ the throttle body.

Anyone know if there is an "easier" spring? Kevin.... hold onto that 1.8L spring for me.
+Quote Post
benalishhero
post Dec 6 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,384

When you move the TB, with the cable disconnected, does it feel smooth?
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 6 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #8

TB movement is smooth with and without the cable attached (and I cleaned the TB while it was out of the car to make sure the flapper didn't "stick").

Is a stiff pedal normal? How does the 914 pedal pressure compare to a modern car?
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Dec 6 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #9

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

...Sometimes the bushing's in the TB
wear out? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
(repair or replace)
+Quote Post
pete000
post Dec 6 2010, 05:05 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I am in this same boat. I am replacing the cable, and the pedal it self to see if that helps. Not sure why the throttle feels so darn stiff compared to other cars.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 6 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

Most any FLAPS will have throttle return springs. They are a spring with a long attachment wire you can cut it for any desired tension.

It ain't a special "Porsche" spring, so it doesn't cost $100. I think about $3.00 is the going price.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 6 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #12

Just to make sure that I'm asking about what everyone is answering about... I'm talking about #4 "supplemental spring" in the pic below.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
okieflyr
post Dec 6 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #13

9fauxteen

Member No.: 3,426

If the the throttle body is lubed and smooth as well as the spring, I'd look back to the throttle pedal linkage. Is it possible that it may be getting into a bind when there is a LOAD on the cable? Can you get someone to apply tension or an independant springload on the cable? Can you vouch for the condition of the cable and it's lube? Ain't much, but it's all I got.....
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 6 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #14

The spring you are showing was not called the "supplemental" spring. It was the spring on the TB that Porsche initially installed, primary return spring.

The "supplemental" spring was installed from the TB arm to the rear of of the engine tin in case the primary spring broke, allowing for a wide open throttle condition.

That's how I understood it anyway.
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 6 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Well, I poached this image from PP and they list #4 as the Supplemental Spring (added after the '73 TB which had only a straight arm and no coil spring (www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108520)).

No matter the name, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) that spring does what you say Ron.

Still have the fundamental questions: is the 914 pedal action much stiffer than modern day cars and/or does anyone know of an "easier" #4 spring?
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Dec 6 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Probably a bit stiffer than modern day cars, but the problem is somewhere. I've had stiff ones and really light ones and I can't tell you why. Cleaned TBs, checked angles and rodded out cable tubes.

I can't remember if you rebushed the pedal assembly, but if worn, putting a load on the linkage could cause binding. If not loaded, it would move free and easy.
+Quote Post
championgt1
post Dec 6 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #17

Don't embarrass me Filmore!

Member No.: 7,420
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It should not be that stiff. Maybe a little stiffer than a new car. My 74 2.0 is very smooth.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Dec 7 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #18

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Isn't it amazing that most everyone misread you first post? The pedal cluster is NOT the prob. I've seen the same prob with many late model cars. Get a throttle body from a 73.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 7 2010, 06:41 AM
Post #19

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Just because the cable moves freely when disconnected and testing by feel with your hands doesn't mean the cable is ok. They can (and do) wear on the inside and not be affected unless there is tension (as there is when it's installed) on the cable. I've seen just the very slightest bend in the threaded end of the cable cause serious binding with the cable installed and under tension but not when testing by hand and unconnected.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 7 2010, 01:55 PM
Post #20

Well, I do have a spare throttle cable to replace the one I have. Looks like I have a new project for tomorrow afternoon.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 02:17 PM