Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throttle body supplemental spring / stiff gas pedal
geniusanthony
post Dec 7 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #21

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,266
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Perhaps the spring was wound an extra turn tighter by the PO to compensate for a worn and binding cable. Also if there is a sharp bend in the cable routing you could see more resistance. The clutch linkage rides what a 1/2" from the throttle, perhaps the lines are crossed.

Does the throttle return to idle easily or does it hang up?

I would start with the easiest first, make sure that the spring isn't on too tight, 2nd, check out the cable routing for sharp bends, 3rd option would then be the cable itself.

Good luck,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 7 2010, 04:15 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

the cable also comes into contact with the coil if it is routed wrong and can become a ground wire..that melts the cable housing.

Replace the cable..its gonna break anyways...you may as well know its new.
Buy two..keep one in the car....they do break at the worst times.

For the throttle body..remove everything except the shaft and the brass plate. It should be super smoot in operation.
If the plate is out of adjustment...and it can be adjusted by moving it a hair in either direction, it will rub on the inside of the throttle body and can create a problem.

Clean clean clean...brake cclean and a brass brush, or dunk the whole thing in carb cleaner for the night...it will do wonders.

You state that its not the pedla...just check.
The pedal is part of the return spring function and it has a spring imbeddded in the base of the pedal that mounts to the floor.
Pull the rod off the back of the pedal and make sure the pedal stay erect on its own and after you push it down, it comes back up.

The two springs, the one on the pedal and the one on the throttle body are the ones that pull the throttle body back to idle.
Both need to be clean and fully functioning. I forget who taught me about the pedal, but its truely part of the return system.

The additional spring, the safety spring or suplimental spring is for backup and it puts suchs a side load on the throttle body that it will highlight worn bushings and misaligned plates.

RIch
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 7 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 11,411

Well... started with what I thought was the easiest- the TB. Removed it and checked the spring everything seems to move very easily with the #4 spring off of the axle - pretty hard to move with the spring connected. The spring doesn't look like someone put an extra turn on it to make it stiffer (or if they did, it has permanently deformed to the new "setting").

Now for the new question: I took of the TPS cover to see what was going on in there. Luckily I was over my workbench so when the little rubber stop piece fell out (see orange box below), I caught it. Will super glue reattach the stop to the metal arm?

Attached Image

Still don't really understand what the #4 spring does. Have to play around with it some more after dinner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) .
+Quote Post
realred914
post Dec 7 2010, 04:32 PM
Post #24

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 11,541
Region Association: None

QUOTE(sfrenck @ Dec 7 2010, 02:28 PM) *

Well... started with what I thought was the easiest- the TB. Removed it and checked the spring everything seems to move very easily with the #4 spring off of the axle - pretty hard to move with the spring connected. The spring doesn't look like someone put an extra turn on it to make it stiffer (or if they did, it has permanently deformed to the new "setting").

Now for the new question: I took of the TPS cover to see what was going on in there. Luckily I was over my workbench so when the little rubber stop piece fell out (see orange box below), I caught it. Will super glue reattach the stop to the metal arm?

Attached Image

Still don't really understand what the #4 spring does. Have to play around with it some more after dinner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) .

yeah super glue, but clean both surfaces real well first.

+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 7 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #25

OK - TPS "bumper" fixed. Back to the initial issue:

This is going to sound very backwards, but I think I may need a stronger "straight" spring between the top TB arm and the accelerator cable stop on the air manifold. From playing with the cleaned TB, if the top and bottom arms are 180 degrees apart (as if it were a '73 TB without the coil spring) the action seems easier. If the arms aren't 180 degrees apart, it seems like the throttle cable arm needs to be pulled harder (loading up the coil spring) until the arms are 180 degrees apart?!? This would account for the initial push of the pedal being hard... Can't test this until tomorrow PM (damn daylight savings time / winter).

Thoughts anyone?
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 7 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #26

Custom Member

initial pedal resistance goes back to the throttle plate getting stuck in my expereince.
there is a build up of invisible laquer that can occur...not sure it is laquer..there is just air going through it...
BUT
Dunk the throttle body in carb cleaner for a long period...it will get even smoother.
Cant see it, but the plate does stick a bit if there is a build up.
You can feel it on a taken apart TB...just the body, shaft and plate.
No springs, no TPS....
It should flop around, never getting stuck when you just shake it.
If not, sumpin is up.

Rich
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 7 2010, 06:55 PM
Post #27

It flops freely when it's down to just the flapper and the TPS - no sticking (had that problem with my Camry so that was the first thing I cleaned months ago).

Still have the feeling it needs a stronger top spring. The top spring should have enough strength to preload the coil spring #4 and then have enough left over to resist the pedal/ close the TB quickly. If the top spring breaks, the coil spring takes over and makes the pedal feel hard to push - letting the driver know something is up. Also, if the throttle cable breaks both/either spring will close the TB.

Again - hypothetical.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 7 2010, 07:08 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

well, the supplemental spring does not always exist. It was not on two of my cars, it is on the 2.0 liter.
Without that spring, there is less resistance on the cable.
Have you checked the cable at the rear firewall?
It sometimes comes loose in the metal bolen end at the firewall and then it feel hard to push..till you push that back in and re-adjust the cable again.

Rich
+Quote Post
sfrenck
post Dec 8 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #29

Cleaned TB back in car and hooked up. The action is easier now so I guess disassembling and cleaning every nook and cranny of the TB helped.

I'm still going to change the throttle cable and play with the amount of force on the top spring - I want to make sure that when the TB flap is closed, the (2) TB axle arms are 180 degrees apart. That will have to wait until the weekend.

Oh, and of course the TPS adjustment is now out since I glued the little rubber stopper back in place.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Dec 8 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #30

Custom Member

Set it like the pic below when closed.
If you look close, you will see the idle circuit switch that only comes on when closed...that is your governor..it cant be set any other way.
Also, do check the cable where it goes into the firewall..they get cockeyed when you take all the pressure off to change something...they get loose and fall out of the bolen end that is fixed to the car.

Rich

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:20 PM