Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Snowplows - just ineterested, Who is still using one?
nathansnathan
post Jun 21 2012, 06:55 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

I bought mine for $1250 and they threw the car in for free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jun 22 2012, 04:51 PM
Post #42

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 21 2012, 06:55 AM) *

I bought mine for $1250 and they threw the car in for free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Sounds like you made a good deal....if the "plow" restorable!
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Jun 26 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 11,782

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 22 2012, 03:51 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jun 21 2012, 06:55 AM) *

Sounds like you made a good deal....if the "plow" restorable!

Yeah, I guess they go for about that, it's listed at $600 in the nla section of jeff bowlesby's site
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/NLAParts.htm

Here's my little gem with it from-the-side, this from the pics I saw when I bought the car, santa monica 2010. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.914club.com-11782-1340716280.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Jun 26 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #44

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(markb @ Jun 9 2012, 08:10 PM) *

I have one of the snowplows that I had restored & painted to match the other valences on the car, since I've made the outside of the car look like a 70. I'm up in the air as to have the Bursch muffler pipe cut off & replaced with a pipe that will fit thru the hole, or sell the snowplow & go with the shorter version. What say you? What should I ask for the snowplow should I decide to sell it?

Considering what the snowplow is worth compared to the Bursch muffler, I'd mod the tailpipe.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 10 2012, 04:43 PM
Post #45

Attached File  914_Partsearly.pdf ( 83.53k ) Number of downloads: 620
This should be interesting.

Recieved an e-mail from a long-time bud & former six owner about the rear early snowplow. He still has his parts manual, though the six went to Canada years ago and still exists in racer form.

He bought the six new. It was his only driver. But, he met Chuck Stoddard who had a louvered rear valence on Gronk (Stoddard's name for his six). It seems that there was a louvred rear valance available in the early years.

He sent me a pdf of 8.4 of his parts manual from very early 1970 and it shows such an option!
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 10 2012, 05:12 PM
Post #46

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pat - Cool info. Nice find. mark
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jul 12 2012, 12:00 PM
Post #47

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I would be interested in seeing that picture Pat. I have seen some early snow plows that were louvered but always assumed it was the result of customization. I had the engine lid on my irish green six louvered probably 25 years ago at least and it looked really cool and kind of factory.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 12 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I would be interested in seeing that picture Pat. I have seen some early snow plows that were louvered but always assumed it was the result of customization. I had the engine lid on my irish green six louvered probably 25 years ago at least and it looked really cool and kind of factory.

I take it that the pdf is not loading for some reason. It's a simple file - any suggestions?
Pat
+Quote Post
markb
post Jul 14 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #49

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I put my snowplow up for sale today in the classifieds, if anyone is interested.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 15 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #50

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 12 2012, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 12 2012, 12:00 PM) *

I take it that the pdf is not loading for some reason. It's a simple file - any suggestions?
Pat

Works for me. Just takes a while.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jul 17 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

That louvered rear valence must be a truely rare item. I remember the /6 that Pat was referring to previously, and the slotted rear panel was really cool looking. At the time, the mid '70s, not a lot of concern and attention was paid to originality. That 914/6 with the slotted rear valence was certainly unique and those of us who noticed it knew it for a "custom" piece of fabrication, but I don't think neither Pat nor I had any idea that such a part was (in theory) available as a factory PORSCHE part.
Besides looking great, I'd bet the slots in the deep valence panel would help relieve the hot air build-up beneath the engine and by the muffler.

I would imagine a reproduction, slotted, rear valence panel would have a limited market, given that it probably would be expensive to manufacture.

Paul
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jul 17 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 731

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 10 2012, 02:43 PM) *

Recieved an e-mail from a long-time bud & former six owner about the rear early snowplow. He still has his parts manual, though the six went to Canada years ago and still exists in racer form.

He bought the six new. It was his only driver. But, he met Chuck Stoddard who had a louvered rear valence on Gronk (Stoddard's name for his six). It seems that there was a louvred rear valance available in the early years.

He sent me a pdf of 8.4 of his parts manual from very early 1970 and it shows such an option!

Pat, is your bud interested in selling his early parts manual? I would be interested to match my /6 cars.
Don
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 18 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #53

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 17 2012, 07:46 PM) *

Pat, is your bud interested in selling his early parts manual? I would be interested to match my /6 cars.
Don

Don.
I'll find out. Any idea what it's worth? He's over 70 & hasn't had a six for 30 plus years ( and never will again, I think).
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jul 20 2012, 07:12 AM
Post #54

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2012, 02:28 PM) *

Don

Pat, PM sent.
Don
Don.
I'll find out. Any idea what it's worth? He's over 70 & hasn't had a six for 30 plus years ( and never will again, I think).

+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Jul 20 2012, 07:13 AM
Post #55

(try this again)
Pat, PM sent.
Don
+Quote Post
Lennies914
post Jul 20 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #56

Slacker

Member No.: 11,216
Region Association: Northern California

This just showed up on CL. DAPO welded over the hole!

http://monterey.craigslist.org/pts/3141329533.html
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 24 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #57

QUOTE(sixerdon @ Jul 20 2012, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 18 2012, 02:28 PM) *

Don

Pat, PM sent.
Don
Don.

Sorry Don - he's silent so far.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Sep 1 2012, 10:17 AM
Post #58

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The stock muffler was shot on my wife's '71, so I installed a 'temporary' Bursch style muffler and a late model short valance. The plow was pretty banged-up anyway.

I did notice the vapor-lock issue was lessened with the shorter valance, but the plow will eventually be repaired and re-installed after the car goes through it's restoration process.

Even though not correct for '71, I'm thinking about installing those under-body deflector plates to help avoid vapor-lock in the future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 11 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(euro911 @ Sep 1 2012, 10:17 AM) *

The stock muffler was shot on my wife's '71, so I installed a 'temporary' Bursch style muffler and a late model short valance. The plow was pretty banged-up anyway.

I did notice the vapor-lock issue was lessened with the shorter valance, but the plow will eventually be repaired and re-installed after the car goes through it's restoration process.

Even though not correct for '71, I'm thinking about installing those under-body deflector plates to help avoid vapor-lock in the future (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Look, I'm a stalwart fan of the rear snowplow. My original was destroyed by a Bursch exhaust, which is why I was forced to go with the short valence,

I noticed that the vapor-lock problem disappeared when I did that also.

But the purist in me made me search for a proper snowplow, something that took ten years to find a bolt on. It will go on when the car comes off the stands this fall. It will stay one too. It SHOULD be there.
+Quote Post
BENBRO02
post May 4 2022, 10:56 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 18,493

I think Porsche knew something when they omitted the rear valence from the GT cars. I believe removing it aids in cooling and aerodynamics.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:12 PM